The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-09-2021, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I'm looking at this HP model as a Christmas present to me, from me.

I'm going to go with dual monitors (I have them at work). I think this will be a good replacement for our old HP with 4 GB memory with an AMD A4-3400 APU.

I rarely record with the computer though.

It'll probably be a bit of a pain transferring my plug-ins from the old machine to the new, but I have a couple of external hard drives to make it easier.

My budget is between $700 to $950 if anyone has other suggestions.
You'll probably be OK with that, but I'd recommend at least 16GB RAM and an i7, or AMD equivalent, processor. I'd also suggest investigating the sound level of the machine.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 12-09-2021, 08:14 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by phcorrigan View Post
You'll probably be OK with that, but I'd recommend at least 16GB RAM and an i7, or AMD equivalent, processor. I'd also suggest investigating the sound level of the machine.
I can upgrade to 32GB ram, which I might do. Also I have a Scarlett 2i4 which I use to listen with headphones. I'm not going to be playing Halo on it, so I think it will be fine.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 12-09-2021, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
TBMan...late to this post, but for you and anyone else in the market for an audio production PC (or for anything else really), I highly recommend the used/refurbished Dell Optiplex machines off of Amazon.

They are business models and usually off lease and are AMAZING DEALS! I just picked up another myself: i5-6500, 3.2Ghz, 4-core, 16GB DDR4, 512GB SSD, with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro for $292.11 (including tax). Just add your wireless keyboard/mouse, monitor(s) of choice, and audio interface.

Plus, with Amazon Prime, they are "backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee." Hope this helps yall save some money!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082WKDP6F...roduct_details

I decided to upgrade several years back and get a "refurb" PC with a fresh install of Windows 7. I kept an eye out at a couple of websites until a machine matching my specifications popped up. Some of them had very little in hard drive capacity so I waited until they had Dell PCs with 80 gig drives (large at the time...), no network card, and no internet connectability. That was perfect for me, and it's been a rock solid platformer to do my CAD and Reaper audio editing with. It was under $150 from NewEgg and shipped in packaging that was identical to a new machine.

I'm using it for doing some basic video and audio editing using Reaper and it works fine, but I can see upgrading to step up to a new version of Windows some time in the future.

This PC replaced an earlier Dell that I bought off the Dell website as a "re-pack". I kept an eye out on their website so I could get a new machine with Microsoft Office installed. That saved a bunch of money, too.

Buying refurb machines can bea bit of a gamble, but the latest machine was very inexpensive and had the ability to do what I needed to do at a bargain basement price.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD