The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-12-2021, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Default RIP Tom Doerr

Folks, its a very sad and difficult time, it pains me to share the news that Tom Doerr passed away Friday Oct 8th. Tom was a best friend of mine and to many others here on the AGF. Everyone who knew Tom loved Tom, it's been said over and over here... I'd like to start this post for the AGF community to share their condolences and positive experiences and memories they have of Tom.

Please understand that this is a sensitive time of grief and confusion, we are not here to discuss details of his passing...

I met Tom because I purchased his 9th guitar from Robin at Guitar Gallery back in 2005. She highly recommend his work, I listened to her and bought my first finger style cedar guitar... I was so blown away and the instrument opened up new doors for alternate tunings and tones that I wasn't accustomed to. I called Tom to introduce myself and praise him for his craft... We became great friends right off the bat, and I've considered him a best friend ever since. Tom had a new obsession of building guitars and I had a new obsession of playing guitar... Together we dorked out discussing Brazilian Rosewood and famous builders and wood combos for an embarrassing amount of hours per week, lol... He suggested I join the AGF so I can publicly brag about his guitars, and i did...lol

As the years went by Tom became a very well know figure in the acoustic guitar community, he no longer was a new kid on the block... He carried on and built so many works of playable functioning art, and made countless players drool... I've heard from many that they feel Toms guitars were the best for them, and Doerr guitars are their favorite... also I've heard from many luthiers that they are blown away from the level of craft and skill he has as a Luthier, everyone respected his work...

Some of my most fun memories in life are hanging out with Tom at guitar festivals.. We traveled together to numerous Healdsburg events and the last 2 Santa Barbara shows... The last time I saw him in person was for the 2017 SB show, I'd like to share a photo, here Tom was doing some final set up before we hit the road...

I love you Tom, I'll always remember you as the best... I'm honored to have been your friend... I don't have words to express how special of a person you were... Rest in peace brother...

Lets all keep his family in our thoughts and prayers... This is all very sudden and only a few days has passed.... I'm sure there is ways the community can be of service as time goes by...

I'd love hear a memory of how Tom was a part of your life...

My condolences for all of Toms family... thoughts and prayers...

https://www.obitmichigan.com/Obituar...6/Thomas-Doerr
Old 10-12-2021, 02:52 PM

Sorry to hear. Way too young.

Condolences to his friends and family.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 10-12-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

Thank You Dave for posting this! I spent the better part of yesterday grieving this and playing my Doerr Mod D after I found out about it, and chatting with friends who also loved Tom and his work as well. What a shock and such sad news!! I've been praying for his family and friends!!

Tom was truly a gifted person that will be dearly missed by so many!! His guitars are incredible too and really showed the passion that he had for being a creative person with great attention to detail and excellence!

I posted a youtube video that I recorded yesterday morning while reflecting on all of this with one of My Doerr guitars kind of as a tribute and played one my favorite comforting songs which is a Hillsong United Cover, the song is called Take Heart. I hope people who listen to it find some comfort from the words of that song.

RIP Tom!

Last edited by SuperB23; 10-12-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

Dave, I am so sorry for your loss. This is a huge shock. Tom was building me a guitar, and I emailed with him Thursday evening about details. I did not know him well, but he struck me as a kind, humble person...which had a lot to do with me commissioning a guitar. My prayers are with his family and his close friends like you.
Jamie
Old 10-12-2021, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

So sorry to hear this news. He was a good man. My condolences to all his friends and family at such a sad time. May he RIP.
Old 10-12-2021, 02:59 PM
Musical minimalist

When I got the news last night it felt like I'd been run over.

Tom's shop is about 25 miles from me and I visited many times. When I was recovering from the flood last year he stopped by at my studio and we chatted for a long time.

I had always hoped to fit in a build with him, and we had talked at length a couple years back about a prototype based on some ideas I had that he was open to. We also joked often that when I retired I would be his apprentice.

Tom was an incredibly kind, soft spoken soul, and a craftsman of other-worldly talent. His creations were beautiful, consistent and eminently playable.

I will miss our visits and chats about life and guitar immensely.

Rest in peace my friend - you will be missed by many.

Old 10-12-2021, 03:08 PM

So very sorry to read this news, deep condolences to his family and many friends.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:12 PM
AGF Sponsor

That is devastating news. Thanks for sharing though I am loathe to hear it. I will remember several nice chats with Tom and his inspiring work.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 PM

I never knew him but I sure did lust after his guitars. My thoughts are with his family. So sorry to hear it.
Old 10-12-2021, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

This is really bummer news.

I met Tom at the first guitar festival I ever attended, the Healdsburg Guitar Festival 2013. I was so impressed with his work that I purchased my first custom guitar from him--a beautiful work of art in Lutz over African Blackwood.

And that's what started me down the custom guitar rabbit hole. I remember fondly of talking with Tom over the years since then at various guitar shows. He was a premier craftsman and a wonderful human that will be greatly missed. RIP, Tom.
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:56 PM

Tom was a wonderful guy.....built my first and only personal commission and carried me through every step of that process in '13-14.
Since learning the news this a.m. with deep gasps and a tear, I've been thinking about he and his family all day.
We kept in touch after my build and I'd send him tunes. After my guitar was received, I wanted to do kind of a tribute to the instrument and created a CD of originals played only on my Doerr Legacy, called "Open Doerr". Sent it to Tom and I learned that he and his wife enjoyed my creation. The title song to that CD is now in my signature, "Open Doerr" in memory of Tom and his family.
A year or so after that he called me to ask if he could use on of my tunes on his web site as he showcased a video of the build pictures.......what an honor! Tom was so respectful and open, during our build, if he had something which came up (he was renovating his house) he'd call me to ask if it was ok if he took a day or so off the build to give attention to this major project he was dealing with. Who does that? Just the kind of guy he was.
This news is so sad and shocking. I know he will be remembered in the most positive and wonderful ways. RIP, Tom!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Last edited by islandguitar; 10-12-2021 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-12-2021, 04:20 PM

The guitar world, the luthier world, the world of music have all lost a true master. My best to his wife and family as they try to navigate from the terrible void they must be in right now. I only emailed with him in the past, but from all I have heard about the man and from his instruments, he has left an unfillable hole in the universe.

Fred that is a beautiful song and the guitar is amazing. You are doing Tom proud with that recording!
Old 10-12-2021, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

This is heartbreaking news. It has to be devastating to those that are close to him, especially his family. I met Tom only a couple of times. The first time, I think I was a bit intimidated because as everyone knows, his guitars were truly world class, and to my dismay, I didn't say much. The second time I met him was in Santa Barbara, and not only did I spend more time playing his guitars, I also spent some time talking with him. It was like talking to a long lost friend. He seemed to really value my opinion, and he and his guitars were a highlight of that show for me. RIP our friend.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:04 PM

Gosh, truly terrible news. Condolences to his family and friends. Sometimes life doesn't make a lot of sense.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:17 PM
Charter Member

So very sad. Tom was the very first luthier that I ever visited. Really nice young man with such an incredible passion for his work. Truly horrible news, [emoji120] ing for his wife and family.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop