The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-08-2021, 01:19 PM

Default Martin size 5 terz guitar

I've seen several Martin size 5 "terz" guitars for sale on Reverb and eBay, and I'm interested, but I'm wondering how I could try one in person to see if it would be something I want to buy? I live in Portland, OR.
Old 09-08-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceVB View Post
I've seen several Martin size 5 "terz" guitars for sale on Reverb and eBay, and I'm interested, but I'm wondering how I could try one in person to see if it would be something I want to buy? I live in Portland, OR.
Take your smallest guitar and capo it in the 3rd fret and that will give you a good idea of the sound ;-)

The actual size and balance are awesome and so fun to play. That is hard to replicate without playing one, but you can get a reasonable facsimile of the sound by doing as I've indicated.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:13 PM

Do you tune yours to G? I've seen a post that suggests tuning it to A which makes for more standard chords with typical chord shapes (e.g. a G shape gives you a C chord).

Thanks,

Bruce
Martin 5-18 (1984)
Martin Little Martin (2018)
Gibson B-25-12 Deluxe (1970-1972)
Gibson TG-O tenor (1965)
Stromberg Voisnet parlor guitar (1920s?)
Old 09-16-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceVB View Post
Do you tune yours to G? I've seen a post that suggests tuning it to A which makes for more standard chords with typical chord shapes (e.g. a G shape gives you a C chord)...
When the terz concept (along with the quart and quint, tuned up a fourth and fifth respectively) was popular in the mid-1800's, the instruments were equipped with gut strings, not steel; I'd be very careful tuning up a modern Size 5 a fourth with most readily-available acoustic sets - something like the not-too-common GHS 345 10-42 silk-&-steels (or a similarly gauged ball-end Gypsy-guitar set) might be a good starting point...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion