The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-28-2018, 07:26 AM

Default 15-20% off on Taylor / Martin

While coupon codes don't normally work for T or M, calling a rep can get you a better deal. I stand corrected.
Ibanez Talman
Old 03-28-2018, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyimbo View Post
…I know there is no simple answer but I was hoping for some comments and advice to help me in the first steps of learning how to know what I can afford, and therefore what I should seek out to find and do some test drive playing on.
Hi Nyimbo

I was going to welcome you to the forum, but noticed even though it's your first post you've been around for a while! Nevertheless - Hello! Glad you spoke up…

I've been playing (buying, selling, trading etc) instruments for over 50 years.

I've never paid the posted price on a guitar in a shop yet. If it's in the shop, it's negotiable. If it's stored in another location in it's case, ultimately I'll likely offer even less.

That said…I have never negotiated on a hand built guitar I commissioned from a solo builder (I own three).

Also, I've bought many used guitars over the decades, none of which did I pay the initial asking price for (OK…the very first one I paid asking price, which was $10 in 1962).

If tone is important, I will NOT buy it sight unseen.

When would tone not be important?
When I was buying a travel guitar. It had to be full-sized body, full scale, appropriate size nut, and appropriate neck profile. So the Voyage-Air OM size guitar fit the bill…and I located a used one.

It's an amazing sounding guitar too, but I didn't care. The tone was a pleasant surprise.

It just has to easily fit in our RV, SUV or on planes, and keep the guitar safe while in transit.

Another time tone is not as important is with finding appropriate guitars for beginner students. I find beginners usually are not that discriminating about tone until they have some experience under their belt. So the neck profile, action, and condition of the frets is most important to me…and color.

Young men tend to not like to play pink guitars, and one of the first things young ladies look at is color and size (and 'do I HAVE to trim my nails?).

Have fun on your quest to find an instrument.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-28-2018, 08:06 AM

Since you will be paying cash I agree used is the way to go. I recommend using Reverb or Ebay and scouring those for what you want, perhaps even Craigslist.

Since you have a type/model of guitar and price point in mind, you can also see past sales and know if you're in the ball park. There are reputable people out there and deals to be had. Good luck and enjoy!

I stand corrected, you cannot search sold listings on Reverb, but it does have a price guide.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:22 AM

re: Taylor 300 Series 322ce 12-Fret Grand Concert Acoustic-Electric Guitar Shaded Edge Burst

When musicians friend has a 15% off coupon, you could expect to pay $1826.65. It's out of stock right now and you have to call a rep who will be delighted to assist you. I don't believe they will ever do 20% anymore.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:42 AM

Or, you could make an offer on this one. Listed $1700, private seller. You may be able to do better, but you won't know unless you make an offer.

https://reverb.com/item/11034957-tay...ded-edge-burst

Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-28-2018, 08:46 AM

I was able to get a Martin Dread Jr. for 20% ($399 plus tax) a few weeks ago at Guitar Center via the customer service manager and it didn't qualify so he manually entered it.

Never know unless you ask.

I felt bad not buying it from the local guy but 20% off plus the 45 day return window was hard to beat.
Old 03-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOG01 View Post
Since you will be paying cash I agree used is the way to go. I recommend using Reverb or Ebay and scouring those for what you want, perhaps even Craigslist.

Since you have a type/model of guitar and price point in mind, you can also see past sales and know if you're in the ball park. There are reputable people out there and deals to be had. Good luck and enjoy!

I stand corrected, you cannot search sold listings on Reverb, but it does have a price guide.
Actually, you can search ended listings on Reverb. Google is your friend:

xxxxxxxxxxx "This listing has ended" site:reverb.com

You won't get the final sale price, though - it's not public like eBay. You *will* see the asking price with shipping.
Old 03-28-2018, 09:46 AM

I just purchased a new Martin GPC-28e from The music zoo online last week. I saw the MAP price on their website but I emailed them asking for the best price and got an offer that was about 15% lower than the online price.

Bottom line is, it doesn't hurt to ask.

Rut
Old 03-28-2018, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athens View Post
BTW, there's a nice 522 in the For Sale section,
!
I am happy to buy used. I know the two guitars I play regularly are well worn in and still great instruments. So buying something with some marks does not bother me. But...

I'm not ready to buy yet as I have two other (inherited) used guitars I need to sell first and then the proceeds will go to one new (or new to me) guitar.

I have been reading the forum and doing online searches for a couple weeks alternating between looking at future purchase possibilities and in trying to figure out how to sell and what I should ask for my guitars. -- so I am in a steep learning curve here on the buying and the selling.

I may ask some more questions in a later post.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:15 AM

Remember, you can always give an offer. Worst case scenario, gc doesn't take it, but they usually do. Otherwise, be patient. Every couple of months, they offer 15% off any item above $200 or something similar. They're constantly running coupons. Sign up for their newsletter and you'll be the first to know when they have the sales.
Old 03-28-2018, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
It has every time I've actually spoken to a live person at Musicians Friend. Don't believe the fine print and automatic written disclaimers.....
It's surprising what you'll get for a discount even though it's not on the website. I called MF a couple months ago about a guitar that wasn't on the list for the 15% off but they were going to give me the discount anyway, just for asking.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 AM

If you buy used on a forum like AGF then negotiation of the prices is always part of the deal. Online dealers on E-Bay or Reverb often have a "make offer" button, so you can just type in what you are willing to pay. That's my preferred way of buying, as it can often lead to the lowest price a seller is willing to accept. If you buy new from a store it always helps to ask for a discount or mention you saw it at lower price elsewhere and more often than not the sales person is willing to shave off a few %.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:34 AM

i always call several places including some of the sponsors on AGF. i take the best price and go with it. education, research and due diligence.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 03-28-2018, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin666 View Post
If you buy used on a forum like AGF then negotiation of the prices is always part of the deal. Online dealers on E-Bay or Reverb often have a "make offer" button, so you can just type in what you are willing to pay. That's my preferred way of buying, as it can often lead to the lowest price a seller is willing to accept. If you buy new from a store it always helps to ask for a discount or mention you saw it at lower price elsewhere and more often than not the sales person is willing to shave off a few %.
+1 for the "Make Offer" on Reverb. I was looking for a Taylor nylon string, and considering an older NS series, or a 312ce-N - which was close to the top of my budget.

I saw a few 812ce-N's out there, but even the used ones were close to new MAP. ($3599). Saw a 2018, but they wanted $3100+ for it, and wouldn't budge off the price. Saw a mint 2016 at $2599....offered $2100...which they accepted.

I had an ES-335 on sale, which got some lowball offers (which I ignored). One offer came in low....but within more reasonable limits. I reduced the counter offer slightly ($25), but held to my bottom line price, which was reasonable - the buyer took a couple tries, but met my asking price. It all depends on supply, demand and how much the person selling is willing to flex regarding price.
Taylor 356ce
Taylor 514ce
Taylor Baby-M
Eastman E40-OM

Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster
Fender Baja Telecaster
Fender MIJ Telecaster Custom
G&L ASAT Classic Tribute Bluesboy Semi-Hollow
Rickenbacker 620/12
Gretsch 6120
Godin Multiac Nylon Duet Ambience
Old 03-28-2018, 12:32 PM

Seven purchases in the past five years ($300-$1700). I am confident I can get 15%-20% off any guitar or amp any day at MF or GC. Sometimes more.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret, pricing, taylor