The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-08-2018, 12:04 PM

Default Why are there not more 12 fret cutaways available?

Jean Larrivee says 12 fret steel string guitar sounds best. You just don't see many available, including the Larrivee line. Shouldn't there be more hanging on the store walls?

If they sound best, and with a Venetion cut for playability why don't we see them more available? Some say once they played a 12 fret they didn't go back to 14 fret.

Maybe the market place is suffering from 'group thinking' and missing an improvement.
various basses and uprights

Last edited by Casey86; 03-08-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:06 PM

Because they only look good on electric guitars. IMHO, of course!
scott
Old 03-08-2018, 12:09 PM
Charter Member

It seems we all have guitar things that we like, and others that we don't. I think cut-away is fine, but that pick guards look silly and I much prefer a "clean" guitar top free of that sort of thing. The solution is to buy what suits our particular likes and dislikes.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 03-08-2018, 12:23 PM

You can order most Larrivee's with a 12 fret join and a cutaway. Same for Taylor. I'm sure a lot of builders will do the same.

Larrivee is a for profit business. I believe they understand their actual market and what guitar shapes and features best serve their business model and profit requirements.
Old 03-08-2018, 12:31 PM

You just have to know where to look. For example, I have three 12-frets with cutaways in stock right now
• AGF-only discounts
• Free Shipping + Free Returns
• Shoreline Rewards
• Videos
• Guitars from Taylor | Mcilroy | Larrivee
• Stage gear from K&K | Fire-Eye

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/07...s/namm_x_6.jpg
Old 03-08-2018, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
You just have to know where to look. For example, I have three 12-frets with cutaways in stock right now
Hey that's awesome!

Would you say a 12 fret really makes a difference sound wise? Or is it not that big a deal?
Would it make a dreadnought sound like a cannon heh heh?

I have never played one, just going by what I've read a couple of people say (like Jean Larrivee)

Thanks
various basses and uprights
Old 03-08-2018, 02:01 PM

I like a 12 fret with shorter scale because I found it more comfortable to play. Because most (all?) have the bridge moved back a bit, some suggest that this changes the tone, and maybe volume, for the better.

Once I found that I liked the 12 fret/short scale, I found that many of them were in either the Taylor line (their smaller guitars, which I also like) and in the offerings from some carbon fiber brands. Rainsong and Blackbird come to mind but there are others. I ended up with a Cargo for the short scale though it is a 14 fret.
Old 03-08-2018, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I think that it depends on your ears and playing style to see if there is a compromise or not. I have compared a variety of instruments and for good bass response and projection, I went with a 14 fret short scale. The 12 fret short scales that I played were sweeter but didn't offer the extra punch that I was looking for in a guitar that I wanted for strumming and flatpicking. If you are working with a builder, you can see what is possible. I have a 12 fret long scale cutaway that I love for fingerstyle.

Along with reading the experiences shared here, play a bunch of different configurations and let your ears and hands give you additional information.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-09-2018, 04:36 AM

Once I played a 12 fret steel string I sold every other instrument I had. I feel they are ideal for finger style guitar which I play exclusively. If you hold the guitar on your left thigh as i do, the guitar is far easier to play than a 14 fret instrument because of the shorter reach to first position. The scale length on both my Maingards is a standard 25.4". Tone wise, the statement that 12 fret guitars having a sweeter, lusher tone is true at least for the instruments I have owned and played.

Cincy
Old 03-09-2018, 06:11 AM

Default 12 fret

I love my 000-12 Fret Webber. It's a great guitar and does not have a cutaway, BTW.

12 fret allows the bridge to be placed more towards the center of the lower bout. They usually have a much different sound, but different body types give different sounds.

Different tools for different playing styles so different body styles. Also, I think a lot of people playing 12 frets do fingerstyle and tend to stay lower on the fretboard. There are folks who do, I'm just saying that the need for a cutaway is not as large as dreads or other body styles. just my opinion there, but I'm sticking to it. :

I wouldn't necessarily say one body style is better than another, it just depends on what you play and the sound you're going for.
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new

Last edited by Athens; 03-09-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:38 AM

my go to gig guitar is a 71 martin d28s .
I was told the "s" stands for special. it's a slope
shouldered 12 fret slot head. It's a canon.
I wish it were a cutaway. 12 frets limit access
but they sound good. But like any guitar there
are duds out there. So if you play lead and need
that upper access than a 14 fret cutaway That
sounds great will suit your taste. If you think
playing above the 12 fret is just "showing off"
then something like my martin might be more to your liking.
I still want a taylor 818c.
Old 03-09-2018, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey86 View Post
Jean Larrivee says 12 fret steel string guitar sounds best. You just don't see many available, including the Larrivee line. Shouldn't there be more hanging on the store walls?

If they sound best, and with a Venetion cut for playability why don't we see them more available? Some say once they played a 12 fret they didn't go back to 14 fret.

Maybe the market place is suffering from 'group thinking' and missing an improvement.
The marketplace determines what is available, in the long run. Jean Larrivee says 12 fret guitars sound best -- buyers (including myself) say differently with their purchases. What sounds best is relative to personal taste.
Old 03-09-2018, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoreline Music View Post
Oh my!

Old 03-09-2018, 11:18 AM

I have a JCL 12 fret and agree with Jean. Most comfortable of all my guitars and sounds great.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey86 View Post

Would you say a 12 fret really makes a difference sound wise? Or is it not that big a deal?
Would it make a dreadnought sound like a cannon heh heh?
12-fret designs give you a more direct, fundimental sound. 14-fret designs a fuller (more overtones) sound.

Better is completely subjective. I actually have my 12-fret Larrivee up for sale on the Larrivee forum because it is far to punchy and direct sounding for my playing style. (no cutaway though)
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
12 fret