The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2019, 02:11 PM

Default Clear, removable pickguard material for nitro. finishes.

Have read all I can and cannot find a static guard or material to use on a Eastman guitar, which has a nitro finish. Has anyone found it? Just something to use while playing then it would come off.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:17 PM

All of the static cling pickguards that I have encountered have been made of vinyl, which - as you apparently know already - can have a nasty chemical reaction when placed in direct contact with nitrocellulose lacquer finishes. That said, a vinyl pickguard probably won’t instantly react when placed on a nitro-finished guitar, it usually takes longer than that. So if you are extremely careful about removing the pickguard right away every single time you use it, you could probably get away with using one.

But it’s not recommended, for obvious reasons.

Stewart-MacDonald makes a clear pickguard that’s safe to use with nitrocellulose finishes, but it has an adhesive backing and is not intended for repeatedly putting it on and taking it off.

I’m sorry that I can’t be any more help than that.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 01-18-2019, 07:29 PM

I had one for years on my MacCubbin guitar. Finally took it off just to see, and discovered it didn't stick as well with the reapplication. But it was still OK. It had a nitro finish and clung by static electricity I no longer have the guitar so cannot check the name any longer. I do remember that it was quite thin.

Fay OM Sinker Redwood/Tiger Myrtle
Sexauer L00 Adk/Magnolia For Sale
Hatcher Jumbo Bearclaw/"Bacon" Padauk
Goodall Jumbo POC/flamed Mahogany
Appollonio 12 POC/Myrtle
MJ Franks Resonator, all Australian Blackwood
Goodman J45 Lutz/fiddleback Mahogany
Blackbird "Lucky 13" - carbon fiber
'31 National Duolian
+ many other stringed instruments.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion