The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2022, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Larrivee makes some nice guitars at great value, but those all mahogany Taylors are SWEET sounding and playing.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:34 PM

Never heard a bad Larivee or Taylor, but I agree with the general assessment that the Taylor sounds like it would be closer to what you're looking for.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:14 PM

I own a Taylor 322 14 fret non-cutaway and it's a great guitar, easy to play and sounds great. I previously had a Larrivee L-05 which was quite similar other than wood types. It was actually very similar as far as feel, but the Taylor has a slight edge for playing comfort if you like the small neck profile.

Given the choice I'd pick the Taylor because it will be easier to get any setup changes done if that should become necessary in the future. It's a 1/2 hour job start to finish to do a neck reset.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:21 PM

I’ve owned 400 and 600 series Taylors and an OM-50 and C-10 Larrivee. If you’re primary concern is a fast, modern neck, go with the Taylor. If you’re after tone, I’d go Larrivee all day long.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:50 PM
Charter Member

We all have our biases, and here's mine - I think there is a typo in your OP topic. No difficulty here, not even the same league. Larrivee all the way!
Old 01-26-2022, 11:17 PM

I vote the taylor 322ce, short scale, sweet blues tone, easy playing and bends. If you did not like the string tension of short scale 68 hummingbird, then the 25.5 larrivee is not going to be a good choice. I like the older X braced 322 over the new V braced and you will take a beating buying on any new taylor if/when you want to resell it.
Old 01-26-2022, 11:39 PM

Taylor for sure.
Maestro Singa, Sinker Redwood / Wenge (incoming)

Gone but not forgotten:
Martins, Gibsons, Taylors, sundry others.
Old 01-27-2022, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've played a gazillion Taylors and own a Larrivee and I can tell you the neck profiles are similar.
I, too, had always found that to be the case and with little variation among Taylor necks. A very consistent (signature) feel to me.

The only exception is my X-braced Taylor 324e. I actually had the opportunity to A/B it with a V Class version. I was pleasantly surprised to find it was different from the V Class model; having a more Martin low oval feel.

Also, while it does have a more modern sound (then Martin, Larrivee, etc.) I really like that of the mahogany/tas-blackwood pairing. It's the only mahogany top I was sold on.
Old 01-27-2022, 06:57 AM

I've never owned either personally and I'm not sure I've even played those specific models, but I'm partial to Larrivee, that's my non helpful 2 cents!
Old 01-27-2022, 07:04 AM

Given your description I would guess the Taylor. The shorter scale would be beneficial.

I strongly suggest you play whichever you purchase for a short time and then take it in for a proper set-up. Describe what changes you'd like and how you'd like it to feel. Realize that there is some correlation between how low you set the strings and how much power you can apply with the pick before buzzing becomes more than annoying.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-27-2022, 07:24 AM

I like Larrivees, I do not care for the Taylor sound... the "modern" sound is too modern for this old man... that being said....

Play both and get the one that "sounds" best to you.

All the other issues can be addressed....

Bob

Enjoying:

Larrivee CS-09 DF (Sitka/Ziricote)

Recording King ROS 616 (All Mahogany) project
Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 AM

I do own a regular 322 : I love it.
I also own a Larrivee OM-09 : I love it too.

You cannot make a mistake with either guitars you mention.

I guess the shorter scale will be easier on fingers for bends.
Old 01-27-2022, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-OM View Post
I like Larrivees, I do not care for the Taylor sound... the "modern" sound is too modern for this old man... that being said....

Bob
I don't think there's anything modern sounding about Taylor's 322....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-27-2022, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

It has been mentioned that the shorter scale of the Taylor will make string bends easier. While strictly true, don't expect much of a difference. Assuming the same strings on each guitar, the shorter scale length on the Taylor will only reduce the string tension by 5% compared to the Larrivee. So I wouldn't let that sway you too much. Nevertheless, I'd still vote for the Taylor .
Old 01-27-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL G View Post
I'm hoping I can get some advice on which guitar might be better for me. I live in a small market city and can't get to try out these guitars. Right now I am strictly an electric player. . . . I gave up on a 1968 Hummingbird a few years ago because the neck was too thin and the string tension was too stiff. I am considering getting back to acoustic playing. My two choices are a Larrivee C-03R-Tommy Emmanuel 12 fret 25.5 scale length, 17 frets and a Taylor 322 CE 12 fret 24-7/8 scale length 18 frets.. . . Bending strings is a must. I'm sure I will explore other styles as well. There is as well the X bracing of the Larrivee and the V bracing of the Taylor. Considering the size and scale length of both instruments which would be easier to fret etc? I would imagine the Larrivee to be a more versatile instrument? Thank you in advance!
Lot of good responses so far, but I'm gonna try to talk you into a Martin SC

https://www.martinguitar.com/body-sc.html

My thinking here is that coming from the electric side of the aisle, you're simply not going to be happy trying to bend notes on any well set up acoustic unless it has really light gauge strings. But the down side of that is you'll lose quite a bit of the resonant acoustic tone you buy an acoustic for. The SE's have their "traditionalist" detractors but the feedback from the electric players is unanimously favorable. There are several recent SC threads here that you might scan. They comment a lot on the ease of play and while the pickup isn't viewed as it's best feature, given that you're likely comfortable with dialing in tones on your electrics, I'm sure you'll find an acoustic tone you'll be happy with.

I've have a 322 and have owned several "C" sized Larrivee's (LSV) and with the light strings you'll want it won't matter about V vs X bracing cause the lower string tension from really light gauge strings might not move the top as much as the guitar was designed for. Both brands come set up ok from the factory, but with tweaking either one can be set just how you like it. I've never played a Hummingbird, but the Taylor and Larrivee necks are very similar and both are about the same thickness as a Strat neck at the 3rd fret.

IMHO the difference in playing a 322 short scale and the standard scale C-03 is theoretical at best for the majority of players. (It's not like the difference between a Strat and Les Paul) My harem is half and half and with my eyes closed the short scales play the same as the standard scale ones. I'm pretty sure you'll be happy with either the 322 or C-03R but just know that the C-03R will be brighter and richer sounding than the 322 which is the least bright guitar I've ever played. Best of luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion