The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 01-22-2022, 05:51 PM

Smile Outdoor Carbon Fiber Guitar

First time ever using a forum so correct me if Im not using it correctly. I have an Outdoor Ukulele brand, 6-string (baritone uke body size) carbon fiber guitar. Problem is my standard capos don't clamp tight enough on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd frets only, Im almost sure it's because the depth/thickness of the neck at the first fret is thinner until the 4th fret where the depth starts to thicken. Everything clamps down and strings ring out clear with capo starting at the 4th fret where the neck depth is thicker. Does anyone have any suggestions as far as a capo is concerned. I have two different brand standard size capos a Kyser and a D'Addario capo and they both work fine on this guitar beginning at the 4rth fret. Im thinking that a capo that has adjustable pressure. Hope Im explaining it correctly.

Last edited by gabones; 01-22-2022 at 06:07 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:52 PM
Charter Member

I agree with you to try one with adjustable pressure. Some of these are called yoke-style and there are various manufacturers which make them. At a wiiiide variety of price points. But the Paige model is less expensive. I haven't checked lately but Dunlop may also make a less expensive version.

You might also look at a Shubb. I have 5 or 6 capos with differing mechanisms. I consider my Shubb Deluxe one of the best. It is adjustable via a small screw. It's probably the most affordable and for the money, hard to beat.

I also have an older (~20 yr old), brass Victor Dunlop which has a very nice screw mechanism. Some folks have commented that the newer ones are not as nice as these older ones. I've seen the older brass style for sale on eBay.

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 01-22-2022, 11:49 PM

The people at Outdoor Ukulele/ Guitar are very helpful so I would suggest you post a note to them.They also sell capos.
I have an Outdoor Guitar set up ( by them ) with A to A .( guitalele) ..so I play it like a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret.
Old 01-23-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlorplayer View Post
The people at Outdoor Ukulele/ Guitar are very helpful so I would suggest you post a note to them.They also sell capos.
I have an Outdoor Guitar set up ( by them ) with A to A .( guitalele) ..so I play it like a guitar with a capo on the fifth fret.
On their order page there are indeed 2 tuning options: Standard and A to A. But for A to A it currently states "sold out".

So I wonder, is this a setup that you can change yourself or do they have to construct the guitar differently?
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 01-23-2022, 08:14 AM

I use the G7th ARt(adjustable radius technology?) for a variety of guitars, including on my CF McPherson. I actually have a planet waves that works better on the Lucky13. I would guess from your description that the McPherson neck is closer to your Outdoor in that it is thinner at fret 1.
Good news, CAPO’s aren’t too expensive so try a few until you find what works for that instrument. Good luck and report back please.
Old 01-23-2022, 09:47 AM

My understanding is that if the Outdoor Guitar is a new model ( 2021) it’s just a matter of different strings . I know they made some adjustments to mine to improve the action/ playability. I wouldn’t advise trying adjusting anything yourself. The Pono guitalele is the same ( E-E or A-A)
Old 01-23-2022, 12:41 PM

This is a nylon string instrument with a 1-7/8” flat fret board. You might need to buy a capo for classical guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber