The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 11:02 PM
Charter Member

Default Furch vintage 1 OM-SR vs Furch Green OM

I know there are lots of threads related to this subject but I wanted to get some new opinions if that’s alright! I’ve been looking into many guitars in the sub $1700 category, and have recently discovered Furch guitars. I’ve seen them before, But never realized they would be in a price point I could afford until recently. So my question is what is your opinion on The vintage series (OM) versus their modern color series? I am specifically looking into a vintage 1 OM-SR (Spruce/rosewood) and a green om (spruce/mahogany or even spruce/rosewood)
Personally I play both fingerpicking and strumming, and tend to prefer a more martin tone rather than Taylor tone as I find Taylor’s to sound almost empty. I also feel like they get almost “chocked up” (if that makes sense at all) when playing up on the fretboard and that’s what I dislike the most about them. I’ve read that the vintage guitars are voiced much differently than the modern ones and would really like to hear more on this. From looks alone I MUCH prefer the vintage style, but sound ultimately is my top priority. Also I tend to prefer a more mellow sound, so I was thinking mahogany back and sides would be better than rosewood, although I sing and have head a rosewood back and sides is best for this.

Last edited by Laynej37; 08-11-2020 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-11-2020, 12:33 AM

Default Furch vintage 1 OM-SR vs Furch Blue OM

I think you are going to have to play them to really know. They are voiced very differently and which suits you will likely depend on what type of music or tone you are looking for. I have owned three modern / colour series, including a cedar/mahogany OM22, and loved them all for modern or Celtic fingerstyle.

They are clear and articulate with a very modern voicing.

Vintage series have a much more traditional tonality but have plenty of love out there too.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-11-2020, 02:24 AM

Default Furch vintage 1 OM-SR vs Furch Blue OM

Try to play them if you can. Not only are the different ranges voiced differently but there will be individual differences just as there between any two guitars.

We have three Furch guitars at home: a 15 year old maple OM23sf, a three year old OM34sr (equivalent to Vintage 2) and a less than one year old 12-string dreadnought.

For me my OM34sr stopped me desiring a Martin OM! It is one of the most responsive, resonant and easiest to play guitars I have ever played. It doesn’t lack for volume either even though it is a shallow bodied OM (you can get deep bodied OMs too, probably a special order feature though; check it out). And it is beautiful to look at too with some of the nicest rosewood I’ve ever seen on a guitar at this price point. The tuners are open backed Gotoh and work perfectly.

Both the Vintage and new standard (colour) ranges have the new neck reinforcement system which on my 12-string is a definite plus!

My wife’s OM23sr (modern equivalent the green series maybe?) was the start of our love for Furch. It’s now around 15 years old and has a lovely aged top and beautiful flame maple back and sides. Back then Furch was using a similar finger joint to Taylor for the headstock graft which they’ve since changed to one piece plus neck heel (ie the headstock is the same piece of wood as the neck). Tone wise it has a very direct sound making it ideal for lead runs and finger picking but responds well enough to strumming too.

So although I can’t really give you a comparison of OMs from the modern range you can understand that we would have no hesitation getting another from either series.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

Last edited by pieterh; 08-11-2020 at 03:31 AM.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
I think you are going to have to play them to really know. They are voiced very differently and which suits you will likely depend on what type of music or tone you are looking for. I have owned three modern / colour series, including a cedar/mahogany OM22, and loved them all for modern or Celtic fingerstyle.

They are clear and articulate with a very modern voicing.

Vintage series have a much more traditional tonality but have plenty of love out there too.
I would love to play them but there are absolutely no Furch dealers in all of Florida where I live so I don’t see how that would be possible. I know it isn’t ideal but from what I’ve seen and heard these guitars are worth it. I really don’t know what I prefer, but I do know the reason I am leaning towards the vintage is because the guitar I’ve wanted is a martin, and also of course because it’s so beautiful. The vintage style is what I’ve always been drawn too, but I just don’t know if the sound is what I prefer.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laynej37 View Post
I would love to play them but there are absolutely no Furch dealers in all of Florida where I live so I don’t see how that would be possible. I know it isn’t ideal but from what I’ve seen and heard these guitars are worth it. I really don’t know what I prefer, but I do know the reason I am leaning towards the vintage is because the guitar I’ve wanted is a martin, and also of course because it’s so beautiful. The vintage style is what I’ve always been drawn too, but I just don’t know if the sound is what I prefer.

Would you have a no-questions return policy if you bought one online? I’m not saying they are the same as a Martin but neither do I believe you would be disappointed with a Vintage line model. Furch have their own US distribution now (based in Nashville iirc) so take a chance!

Like I said earlier, the Vintage line hold their own against Martin, just as the contemporary models hold their own against eg Taylor etc.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-11-2020, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieterh View Post
Would you have a no-questions return policy if you bought one online? I’m not saying they are the same as a Martin but neither do I believe you would be disappointed with a Vintage line model. Furch have their own US distribution now (based in Nashville iirc) so take a chance!

Like I said earlier, the Vintage line hold their own against Martin, just as the contemporary models hold their own against eg Taylor etc.
The place I would purchase from has a 7 day return policy minus shipping both ways and a 10 percent restocking fee unless there is something wrong with the instrument. The guitar shop is located in Singapore. The reason I would purchase from them is their prices are much lower than everyone else. I personally think this is due to the exchange rate, as they have the map of a martin 000-15 being equivalent to 1,000 usd. After talking to them they agreed to send me a new Furch vintage 1 OM-SR for $1500 even, so I don’t see myself finding a better price.
As for the guitar, like I said before I much prefer Martin tone to Taylor, so if the vintage is more Martin-like, then I feel this would be the better option for me. It’s also much more attractive, and I think the best value. To get the Furch green I would want with gloss finish and rosewood back and sides it would be closer to 2000. If I got a green I would be settling on satin finish and mahogany back and sides to fit into my budget.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Fair enough..

I would say that the vintage is more vintage Martin than the colour series - but neither of them are Taylor like to my ears.

Others on here that have both will be better equipped to help.

My spruce/rosewood is probably most like a Martin OM21/28 but a modern / re-imagined one.

Tough to describe.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 08-11-2020, 11:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrighty View Post
Fair enough..

I would say that the vintage is more vintage Martin than the colour series - but neither of them are Taylor like to my ears.

Others on here that have both will be better equipped to help.

My spruce/rosewood is probably most like a Martin OM21/28 but a modern / re-imagined one.

Tough to describe.
Thanks a lot for all your help. I really love both but I think currently I’m leaning towards the vintage, although I would love to hear more people’s experience
Old 08-11-2020, 04:53 PM

Quote:
The place I would purchase from has a 7 day return policy minus shipping both ways and a 10 percent restocking fee unless there is something wrong with the instrument. The guitar shop is located in Singapore. The reason I would purchase from them is their prices are much lower than everyone else. I personally think this is due to the exchange rate, as they have the map of a martin 000-15 being equivalent to 1,000 usd. After talking to them they agreed to send me a new Furch vintage 1 OM-SR for $1500 even, so I don’t see myself finding a better price.
As for the guitar, like I said before I much prefer Martin tone to Taylor, so if the vintage is more Martin-like, then I feel this would be the better option for me. It’s also much more attractive, and I think the best value. To get the Furch green I would want with gloss finish and rosewood back and sides it would be closer to 2000. If I got a green I would be settling on satin finish and mahogany back and sides to fit into my budget.

You live in Florida and will buy from Singapore?? Won’t that incur import charges??

In all honesty if it was me I’d take the hit but buy locally. The warranty on Furch guitars is good but only honoured through the original seller, not through any more local agent.

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-11-2020, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
You live in Florida and will buy from Singapore?? Won’t that incur import charges??

In all honesty if it was me I’d take the hit but buy locally. The warranty on Furch guitars is good but only honoured through the original seller, not through any more local agent.
I agree it’s a little crazy, but I don’t have more than about 1600 to spend absolute max. My original budget was $1000 and it kept stretching but it can’t go any further than that. I was offered $1450 now for a vintage 1 OM-SR with free shipping and no tax. They are an authorized Furch dealer. I will have to ask about any additional charges. Every other one I’ve found is about 1900-2700 for the exact guitar, and none are in the USA anyway. I could contact local dealers, the closest being Georgia, but I doubt any will give me a discount if they have to order it from Furch for me.
Old 08-11-2020, 11:50 PM

Quote:
I agree it’s a little crazy, but I don’t have more than about 1600 to spend absolute max. My original budget was $1000 and it kept stretching but it can’t go any further than that. I was offered $1450 now for a vintage 1 OM-SR with free shipping and no tax. They are an authorized Furch dealer. I will have to ask about any additional charges. Every other one I’ve found is about 1900-2700 for the exact guitar, and none are in the USA anyway. I could contact local dealers, the closest being Georgia, but I doubt any will give me a discount if they have to order it from Furch for me.

The dealer will probably not be able to help you regarding import costs (duty, sales tax etc) so you should check out what the rules are in Florida for importing from Singapore. Keep in mind that the cost of the guitar locally will have all of that built in to the price. And you’ll have a warranty that is actually usable if it is ever needed.

But I understand your dilemma!

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22 AM

I would not put Furch in the Martin side of tone.
Old 08-12-2020, 04:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pender View Post
I would not put Furch in the Martin side of tone.
Hi! Thanks for your help! How would you compare Furch and Martin? Have you played the vintage series?
Old 08-12-2020, 03:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The dealer will probably not be able to help you regarding import costs (duty, sales tax etc) so you should check out what the rules are in Florida for importing from Singapore. Keep in mind that the cost of the guitar locally will have all of that built in to the price. And you’ll have a warranty that is actually usable if it is ever needed.

But I understand your dilemma!
Thanks for your help. I decided to look more into some US dealers and although I’m not really finding any that have them in stock, I was able to get a good price from one in Texas, but still haven’t heard how long it will be until it’s available. I’ve reached out to some more dealers though and will see if I can get one soon!
Old 08-12-2020, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your help. I decided to look more into some US dealers and although I’m not really finding any that have them in stock, I was able to get a good price from one in Texas, but still haven’t heard how long it will be until it’s available. I’ve reached out to some more dealers though and will see if I can get one soon!

Good luck - it’s worth the effort! I was rehearsing with my OM34sr last night and will be using it unplugged outdoors at the weekend!

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion