The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 05:38 PM

Wow, there are a lot of good posts answering to this thread. It's hard figuring which option from each person is the best.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:40 PM

Very sorry for you. I would be mad, I mean really mad. I would push for compensation for de-value. Just a letter from an attorney may do it.

Now, after you get over he shock, I might suggest finding someone that does fine woodwork for the repair. Luthier isn’t a bad idea, but if there’s a wood craftsman close it would be an option.

Best of luck, “This too shall pass”.
Larivee OM-40
Guild D-125 12 NAT
Yamaha CSF3M TBS
USA Stratocaster
Gibson les Paul Junior
Custom built Thinline Tele
Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 PM

Is this the shop where you bought the guitar? If not, are they a Martin dealer?

I wonder if the solution is you get a new guitar out of this and the shop can re-sell yours, either as-is or after they have Martin replace the neck.

That or they cover the neck replacement and give you a comparable instrument to use in the meantime — I can't imagine lead times for Martin are quick these days.

I know that you don't plan to sell this guitar, but you shouldn't be saddled with damage that devalues the instrument.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:42 PM

[QUOTE=CoffeeFan;6464452]You're not overreacting at all.

Ditto to this I would have blown a gasket!😬
Old 08-10-2020, 05:48 PM

no overreaction at all. You have every reason to be thoroughly upset. Hope you find solution (some great ones in here) that works for you.
Old 08-10-2020, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaC View Post
Very sorry for you. I would be mad, I mean really mad. I would push for compensation for de-value. Just a letter from an attorney may do it.

Now, after you get over he shock, I might suggest finding someone that does fine woodwork for the repair. Luthier isn’t a bad idea, but if there’s a wood craftsman close it would be an option.

Best of "uck, “This too shall pass”.
I didn't consider this. I suppose the person wouldn't have to be a luthier/tech under these circumstances. Any good wood worker, finish carpenter, or maybe better yet a furniture or cabinet builder could probably make it disappear all together. Can't imagine it will cost much either?

As an additional thought...I understand that accidents do happen but a guy of that caliber should have taken the time to see that the guitar was a left handed model. But worse still was his comment about his mistake. Better to have said "look...I made a mistake an drilled the wrong side...I'm sorry. Let me get if properly fixed for you and you'll never be able to see it again. Water under the bridge at this point. Sorry for your issue and your inconvenience...

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!

Last edited by llew; 08-10-2020 at 07:18 PM.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:01 PM

Some have mentioned “structural damage”. I don’t think this is something you should be worried about.

If a small hole drilled in the heel compromised the integrity of the instrument strap buttons wouldn’t be put there in the first place.

Granted, you do have two holes in your heel but I still can’t imagine any structural problems as a result.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:03 PM
Charter Member

Wow. Just wow.

If those responsible won't make it right, be sure to post your OP on the local Craigslist and Yelp along with a description of how they ultimately didn't make it right.

That being said, I do hope they do the right thing and that you are pleased with the results. NGD stories that don't pan out are soooooo disappointing.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-10-2020, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

A good repair person can fix that so you'd never even know it was there. Rather than continue to fume, I'd do some research into finding an excellent repair person (not just someone locally "reputable"), get it into their hands, get it repaired, and get back to playing.

If you tell post where you live, someone here may be able to recommend a place to bring it.

I'd also try to get a commitment in writing from the store to pay for the repair. You could try to take them to small claims court to press for a neck replacement, but there's no guarantee you'd be awarded that since the damage is cosmetic and does not affect playability. But you might use the threat of that to get the commitment to pay for the repair. You might even be able to negotiate something extra for your trouble.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM

I think your best bet is to seek depreciation damage of $500.00. That's likely something the shop could come up with. Even if the owner and the tech split it.

Then you might find someone who's not a hack to plug it up.

Lastly, Play the heck out of it and maybe add a few dings of your own.
Sorry you're having to deal with this, Good Luck!
Old 08-10-2020, 06:29 PM

I'd get it fixed it by someone who knows what they are doing and be done with it. Then write off the shop that damaged it. Lesson learned.

I had a similar thing happen to me. It wasn't a strap button. It wasn't a $5000 guitar, but it was a $1500 guitar. I was going to Nashville for business for a week, and I took it to Gruhns. They fixed the mistake and did a set up and some fret work that was needed. I was out a couple of hundred bucks total. That guitar played like dream after the set up and the mistake was rendered practically invisible.
Old 08-10-2020, 06:38 PM

Put me in the “you are NOT overreacting” column.

My god, what an amateur move that was. Wow.

Without knowing for sure, I would fully suspect that the right luthier could fix that up to the point where it is barely noticeable. That would be my guess, and probably would be the direction I would go in the end, but that’s me. Don’t get me wrong, I would be mega pissed, but if it could be fixed to a reasonable level I would go in that direction. You should do whatever makes sense for you obviously. I definitely would not replace the neck, that’s for sure.

Really sorry that happened to ya. Sickening, no doubt. What a bunch of clowns. I’m sorry, but that deed cannot go unpunished. There needs to be a google review on that one for sure. Terrible.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 08-10-2020, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

I like the idea of some sort of inlay or some trinket that has meaning to you. At least that way when you look at it you'll smile at that. Since you admit you're unlikely to ever sell it anyway there is no harm/foul in the loss of value. You'd lose more just because you bought it new.

Let it go and enjoy your guitar. Customize with something to cover the mark and then get to playing it so hard that you quickly relic the rest of it up to catch up.

Did you overreact at the store? Not by my standards. At least I'm assuming you didn't burn it to the ground with everyone inside. That would have been my reaction. In all seriousness, I would at least make sure anyone and everyone I know got fair warning about the place.

You handled it exactly right, especially with your rhetorical question about why would you ever let them touch your guitar again. I had a small local shop drip some super glue and put a tiny dent in my USED guitar during a pickup install. It was the last time I ever took any guitar to that shop and I know them personally.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:30 PM

I'm in the camp of taking it to a competent repair shop. Have them look at it to see if they can plug the hole well enough that it would not be noticeable. If they can then take their estimate back to the hacks for them to foot the bill. If not then a call and some photos sent to Martin for an estimate of repair cost.

The hacks should pay what it costs to make it right. It's a very expensive guitar.
Old 08-10-2020, 07:31 PM
Charter Member

I don't suppose the shop is by chance an authorized Martin Guitar Service Center?

If they were, perhaps something could be worked out with Martin that resulted in a new neck (or a truly invisible repair) without bankrupting the shop? (or maybe even with bankrupting the shop

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion