The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-08-2020, 09:04 AM

Default OMG the cost of a few scratches.

Our beautiful 2018 Kia Sorento received some very minor scratches on the front bumper and plastic trim in a recent run in at a parking lot with an elderly lady. The good news is she ‘fessed up and her insurance will take care of it.
So...the list is as follows:
Repaint the bumper
Repaint one plastic trim piece and replace one plastic trim piece.

$1400

And there ya’ have it ladies and gentlemen.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 09:27 AM

Personally, I'd leave the scratches and pocket the $1400.

I'd also be sure to claim that $1400 as income and pay my fair share in taxes!
Old 08-08-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
Personally, I'd leave the scratches and pocket the $1400.

I'd also be sure to claim that $1400 as income and pay my fair share in taxes!
I’m happy to be able to say we don’t need the money and I want my pretty scratchless car back.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Our beautiful 2018 Kia Sorento received some very minor scratches on the front bumper and plastic trim in a recent run in at a parking lot with an elderly lady. The good news is she ‘fessed up and her insurance will take care of it.
Repaint the bumper

$1400

Presumably that would be from the main dealer?
Surely you are entitled to shop around?

I used to have a ford Scorpio - lovely car but with very large fragile bumpers.
i was parked outside a music shop (where else) when the shop owner crashed into my car destroying the back bumper. He begged me not to involve insurance, so I got it done privately , he paid the bill and supplied me with a Lloyd Baggs dual source supplied and fitted for free.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

i was parked outside a music shop (where else) when the shop owner crashed into my car destroying the back bumper. He begged me not to involve insurance, so I got it done privately , he paid the bill and supplied me with a Lloyd Baggs dual source supplied and fitted for free.
My dad had a Ford Scorpio for a bit, the leather interior was lovely. It did look a little like a catfish from the front though.

Old 08-08-2020, 10:38 AM

That seems outrageous! I hit a dog this past winter. Destroyed the front bumper cover. It had to be replaced with a new one which had to be painted and blended to the car. The body shop estimate and insurance company estimates were in harmony, under $1000.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:49 AM

I think the price sounds about right...

He needs a bumper cover which usually runs about $500. Needs to be painted to match, which usually runs $400-500. Needs a couple other trim bits, which usually run $100-150 each.
Old 08-08-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgdonExtreme View Post
I think the price sounds about right...

He needs a bumper cover which usually runs about $500. Needs to be painted to match, which usually runs $400-500. Needs a couple other trim bits, which usually run $100-150 each.
Nope, the bumper cover is only scratched and it’s getting repainted.
Bumper covers on SUV’s cost wa-a-y more than $500. Try about twice that.The price you guessed on the trim pieces is close, but you kinda forgot about some of the labor. Actually you forgot about half of it...disassembly and assembly of all said components.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

Silly, her insurance is paying for it ...she hit me. I don’t know what you mean by “dealer”, but automotive dealerships here don’t do body work.
They gave me my choice of where I wanted the work done. I chose the shop I know does excellent work. I also get a free rental and I will take that as well.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Nope, the bumper cover is only scratched and it’s getting repainted.
Bumper covers on SUV’s cost wa-a-y more than $500. Try about twice that.The price you guessed on the trim pieces is close, but you kinda forgot about some of the labor. Actually you forgot about half of it...disassembly and assembly of all said components.
Funny story. I was driving our minivan in stop and go traffic. A guy in a Mustang was riding a little too close to my bumper and I had to stop suddenly. He hits me hard enough that I hear a “kachunk.” I get out and see that my bumper was hanging. I looked at his car and the little point on the front of the hood was no longer “straight.” I shook my head, turned to my sagging bumper, noticed that the plastic was not scratched and could see fasteners that weren’t much different than the Revell model kits I used to build as a kid. So I pushed it up and snapped it back into place. My kid was in the back seat and wasn’t hurt, the van was paid for and I really didn’t want to bother with insurance for such a petty thing. .

By the way I just googled prices on Kia Sorrento bumper covers: $264. It’s probably not OEM but here’s the thing about mechanics: they inflate the price because they know insurance will pay it - and jack up the old woman’s premiums in the process.

The procedure to remove it takes about 10 minutes. The “labor” you speak of is actually all the coats that need to be sprayed then sanded and eventually buffed.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Repaint the bumper

$1400

Whoa, scratches are free.
It's fixing them that's expensive ... and optional BTW.

I'd leave it scratched.
Price: Zero!

The car will still work the same.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC1702 View Post
That seems outrageous! I hit a dog this past winter. Destroyed the front bumper cover. It had to be replaced with a new one which had to be painted and blended to the car. The body shop estimate and insurance company estimates were in harmony, under $1000.
How’s the dog?
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 PM
Charter Member

Repairs like this can be quite deceiving. Depending on how much the bumper cover is actually "scratched " the labor for repairing the bumper cover is likely 1.0 hour at the least and up to 3.0 hour. If the cover is actually damaged or torn then the labor could even be higher, possibly 4.0 to 6.0 labor hours.

The bumper cover will also have to be removed in order to refinish it correctly. This is usually bid as R&I (remove and install) and sometimes also called overhaul bumper assembly. This operation can range from 1.0 hour to 3.0 depending on the vehicle and how difficult it is to remove and reinstall. Some of them can be quite challenging while others have two fasteners on the lower area and the bumper cover will simply slide into several slots to hold it fast to the car.

Refinish time on bumper covers is usually 3.0 to 4.0 depending on the size of the bumper color. If it is a tri-coat or three stage finish (like the really deep red finish on some Fords, E9 is the paint code on that) or the very common pearl white finishes that consist of a ground coat color, then the mid coat like a transparent candy finish (or pearl in the case of the pearl white finishes) and then topped by at least two urethane clear costs with a flexible finish additive to allow the finish to give a bit with the somewhat flexible nature of bumper covers. The tri-coat or three stage finish will usually add 1.0 hour finish labor to a bumper cover.

Parts can also be shocking. Ornamental trim pieces and mouldings can easily cost $50 to $100 and some covers can have several mouldings or trim pieces. These may also have to be finished in order to match the newly painted bumper cover.

If the damage on the cover is on the side near the fender, it is often necessary to blend or fade the color onto the fenders to insure a perfect match. Blend time on fenders is usually 1.5 to 2.5 paint labor hours and there may also be parts on the fenders that need to be removed and installed in order to finish properly. That could easily add another labor hour to the quote.

There will be charge for paint and materials and it is calculated by multiplying the paint labor hours by a set price that depends on the local prevailing rate. This charge can be anywhere from $30 to $45 per paint hour.

The paint and body labor rates are also based on your local prevailing rate and current paint and body labor rates will range from $55 to $70.

Put all these numbers to work and it's easy to see how quickly a "few little scratches" can cost a lot more than you would imagine.
Old 08-08-2020, 10:09 PM

One of the beauty’s of driving a 9 year old car.....don’t even notice the scratches and dings any more. And mind you, I take care of it. It gets washed 2-3 times per week, recently detailed, overly loved. I love a black car,. But minor stuff is inconsequential.
Old 08-09-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
How’s the dog?
As the impact "destroyed" the front bumper cover it's probably best not to ask.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic