The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 07-28-2020, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Owen View Post
My uni is opening up for on campus classes, housing students in dorms, feedin ‘em in the caf. What could go wrong?

Seriously, if MLB can’t stay healthy despite putting the players in bubbles, how is school gonna work?
Same here as well. I don't see baseball or school lasting past October. Here in Pittsburgh though baseball is usually over in July anyway.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
I am a Miami Marlins fans, a rare breed, and this is the first year in as many years as I can remember that I wasn't in the stands on opening day. Nevertheless, I was all set to have my own version of opening day in front of the TV with hot dogs and hamburgers on the BBQ grill. What a disappointment when 1/3 the team tested positive and the game was cancelled. I spend a lot of time in SW Florida and it was not surprising the Marlins got hit first given how rampant the virus is there.

But this will not be the first outbreak and if MLB gets hit with major outbreaks on 3-4 teams at once, I think the season is over. It has never been clear they were doing enough to contain the spread. I even see some players sitting in the dugouts without masks. If they can't control simple "on-the-field" requirements, how can they possibly control what these athletes do off the field?

The MLB season is in real trouble.
+1. Miami season is on pause until at least Sunday. Phillies won't play until Fri. The MLB scheduler is going to be busy.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
+1. Miami season is on pause until at least Sunday. Phillies won't play until Fri. The MLB scheduler is going to be busy.
Yeah, this is what I saying Dru in the other thread about sports... what do you do when a few players test positive?

It's going to be a HUGE and most likely fatal problem for any sports leagues not in bubbles.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 07-28-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, this is what I saying Dru in the other thread about sports... what do you do when a few players test positive?

It's going to be a HUGE and most likely fatal problem for any sports leagues not in bubbles.
Yea, on a side note 6 Patriots are sitting out the upcoming season, including Hightower and Chung ... ouch!

Hoping that the NHL and NBA can complete the playoffs.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Yea, on a side note 6 Patriots are sitting out the upcoming season, including Hightower and Chung ... ouch!

Hoping that the NHL and NBA can complete the playoffs.
Yeah, highly skeptical the NFL completes the season. Erod, on the Sox, got heart inflammation due to Covid. Once players realize that can happen and there are potential long term effects, they're not going to want to play.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by robj144; 07-28-2020 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Yeah, highly skeptical the NFL completes the season. Erod, on the Sox, got heart inflammation due to Covid. Once players realize that can happen and there are potential long term effects, they're not going to want to play.
Red Sox are toast this year, even with a full 60 game season. Sale out. Erod out until, we don't know when but he was 19-6 last year. Betts gone and we never replaced him (not that he can be replaced). I'm glad Price is gone.
Old 07-29-2020, 05:12 PM

And the Dodgers and Astros get back together for the awaited "rematch" and...

Old 07-30-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
And the Dodgers and Astros get back together for the awaited "rematch" and...

<<snippet video>>
Joe Kelly got 8 game suspension for that.

Well, Blue Jays and Phillies 3 game series this week-end is postponed due to the Phillies staff having covid. Going to be a rollercoaster with the rescheduling.
Old 07-30-2020, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Well, Blue Jays and Phillies 3 game series this week-end is postponed due to the Phillies staff having covid. Going to be a rollercoaster with the rescheduling.
Little known fact: the owners of the 1944-1945 Philadelphia N.L. team wanted people to call the team the Blue Jays. The name didn't catch on, though. Maybe because in spite of a blue jay stitched on one sleeve, the front of the team jersey said Phillies in big script letters.

http://exhibits.baseballhalloffame.o...if&Entryid=708
Old 07-30-2020, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Joe Kelly got 8 game suspension for that.

Oh no! I’m sorry, but this tells me that the MLB’s plan is seriously flawed and the season cannot continue.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:06 PM
Charter Member

Call me crazy but a plan that puts teams of largely 20-something year olds on airplanes and buses and into hotels and at restaurants all over the country, including hot spots, is going to succeed how??

1969 Martin D-35 (Brazilian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2002 Taylor 355 12-string (Sapele/Sitka Spruce)
2014 Taylor 914ce (Indian Rosewood/Sitka Spruce)
2016 Breedlove Oregon Concert (Myrtlewood)
2018 Taylor GS Mini (Walnut/Spruce)
2021 Taylor 326ce (Urban Ash/Mahogany)
2021 Kevin Ryan Paradiso (The Tree/Sinker Redwood)
2022 KaAloha KTM-10RP Ukulele (Koa)
Old 07-31-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakingMusic View Post
Call me crazy but a plan that puts teams of largely 20-something year olds on airplanes and buses and into hotels and at restaurants all over the country, including hot spots, is going to succeed how??
+1.

It's sad that rather than talking about the ball games we're talking about the cancelled/postponed ones but that's the big news and unforuntately it's more important then the games and the box scores.

Manfred (Commissioner) told the union today that the season is at risk. Marlins now have 21 confirmed covid cases. The Cardinals game was cancelled because 2 players have tested positive today (friday).

It appears players are not adhering to the covid rules - they are high fiving, spitting, not wearing masks, etc.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:47 PM

MLB has blown it, and it seemed so predictable.

NBA and NHL models are safer. Not perfect but possible.

I'm not hopeful for the NFL.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-01-2020, 12:07 AM

Quote:
+1.

It's sad that rather than talking about the ball games we're talking about the cancelled/postponed ones but that's the big news and unforuntately it's more important then the games and the box scores.

Manfred (Commissioner) told the union today that the season is at risk. Marlins now have 21 confirmed covid cases. The Cardinals game was cancelled because 2 players have tested positive today (friday).

It appears players are not adhering to the covid rules - they are high fiving, spitting, not wearing masks, etc.
It should be noted that the players rejected the idea of a bubble very early on. Baseball is getting exactly what it deserves as far as I’m concerned.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:01 AM

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...s?platform=amp

More positive cases for the Cardinals. Now the double header scheduled for today has been cancelled.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic