The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 09:13 AM

Default DR Rares- Strings Rarely mentioned. Why not?

As I have read tons of commentaries on different strings DR Sunbeams frequently pop up on the conversations. But not DR Rares. Are they that ho-hum that they don't get any press on the forum. Is it just that Sunbeams are so great that nobody tries the Rares? How are they different from the Sunbeams in feel and sound? Even DR themselves is pretty vague about their qualities. Yet, I'll see Rares on the store shelves, but no Sunbeams.

What you can tell me about DR Rares?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 AM

I used Sunbeams for a few years, loved the playability (round core), they bend easy (and I used 13's), but I started to miss some low end growl, and as a Martin player low end growl is part of the package.

So I switched to Rares which were a bit better on tone but lost the Sunbeam ease of playing/bending.

Now I've come full circle back to Martin strings, which don't last long but have the tone I love. I think DR makes quality strings but at least with my Martins they were not really strong on the low end.

Anyway, my experience, I could see fingerstyle players really liking DRs,,,,

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 07-04-2018, 09:36 AM

Good question. DR Rares have become my “go to”. I like their tone, feel, price, etc... and they don’t turn my fingers black! I haven’t tried Sunbeams yet but plan to soon. I can find Rares and Veritas (which I also like) in stock at 2 of my favorite stores but never Sunbeams.
Old 07-04-2018, 10:38 AM

I've always liked Rares better than Sunbeams. Nice and warm
Old 07-04-2018, 11:43 AM

I used Rares for years, and liked them a lot - until I tried a pack of John Pearse. The smoothness, tension and sound was superior (IMHO) to the Rares, and I never looked back. I did try a set of Sunbeams on one occasion, based on my past favorable experience with the Rares, but honestly, I couldn't get them off fast enough after I heard them. A clanking, jangly mess. They rank as my second least pleasant experience with string testing, right up with the Ernie Ball aluminum bronze, which were the absolute worst on my guitars.

If I feel the need for round core strings, I reach for Newtone double-wound.

... JT
Old 07-04-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTFoote View Post
I used Rares for years, and liked them a lot - until I tried a pack of John Pearse. The smoothness, tension and sound was superior (IMHO) to the Rares, and I never looked back. I did try a set of Sunbeams on one occasion, based on my past favorable experience with the Rares, but honestly, I couldn't get them off fast enough after I heard them. A clanking, jangly mess. They rank as my second least pleasant experience with string testing, right up with the Ernie Ball aluminum bronze, which were the absolute worst on my guitars.
Funny, right now I've got the Sunbeams on my Worland Custom, the Rare on the CSF3M, and the JP PB on the LS-TA.

I'm sticking with the Sunbeams on the Worland for the foreseeable future, as they accentuate the Engelmann/EIR guitar's best attributes. BTW, I also tried the Newtone Masterclass on it recently, but I feel that, even at double the price, they don't deliver anything extra that the Sunbeams don't provide.

As for the Rare and the JP PB, I'm doing a test drive on my Yamaha guitars, and so far so good. It seems to me that I prefer the hex-core PBs on the Mahogany guitars. The next step would be to swap the strings (Rare on the LS-TA and JP PB on the CSF3M) to see which I like more between the two.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoNeko View Post
Funny, right now I've got the Sunbeams on my Worland Custom, the Rare on the CSF3M, and the JP PB on the LS-TA.

I'm sticking with the Sunbeams on the Worland for the foreseeable future, as they accentuate the Engelmann/EIR guitar's best attributes. BTW, I also tried the Newtone Masterclass on it recently, but I feel that, even at double the price, they don't deliver anything extra that the Sunbeams don't provide.

As for the Rare and the JP PB, I'm doing a test drive on my Yamaha guitars, and so far so good. It seems to me that I prefer the hex-core PBs on the Mahogany guitars. The next step would be to swap the strings (Rare on the LS-TA and JP PB on the CSF3M) to see which I like more between the two.

Great. I've got Sunbeams on my '72 Martin D35 and it would take a lot to get me to switch on that guitar. Rich, warm LOUD and easy on the hands. What more could a fella want? I tried Rares once, but before I really got a handle on either of my Taylors complete setup (including saddles and "secret sauce" combintation of bridge pins).

I was hoping to get a detailed compare/contrast of the Rares vs Sunbeams in terms of sound. I know the construction of the core is different and the Rares are a bit stiffer on the low end. But the sound. For me it always comes back to the sound.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-04-2018, 12:22 PM

I've used both on my D18.
I keep coming back to Retros.
There is something going on with Retros and that guitar...at least for me.
I like the Sunbeams on my Pono.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 07-04-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I was hoping to get a detailed compare/contrast of the Rares vs Sunbeams in terms of sound. I know the construction of the core is different and the Rares are a bit stiffer on the low end. But the sound. For me it always comes back to the sound.
Actually, I had the Sunbeams on my CSF3M before I put on the Rares.

With the Sunbeams, the CSF3M (which has a solid Mahogany B/S) actually sounded a little like an EIR instrument. With the Rare, the overtones are a bit dialed down (but still present) and the fundamental notes are slightly more noticeable.

As for playability, I'm not sensing any discernible difference between the Sunbeams and the Rare. But then again, this is on a guitar with about 23.6" scale length that is super easy to play to begin with.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:48 PM

I am a sunbeam lover on my cedar/mahogany OM - sweet and warm and highlight all the Best qualities of that guitar. I tried rares on the same guitar, and whilst I liked them, they didn’t wow me. I would say drier/earthier and louder than the S/B with a more fundamental tone. I tend to like strings that bring out the overtones in a guitar as well as emphasise that guitars natural tonality.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 07-04-2018, 12:49 PM

I like the Rares on two Gibsons I own but they do not please me on Martins or Taylors.....
Old 07-04-2018, 01:06 PM

Rares are some of my favorite strings. The strings have a really great bass response, and sound very full.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ii Cybershot ii View Post
Rares are some of my favorite strings. The strings have a really great bass response, and sound very full.
I like the Sunbeams for both sound and playability on my 6 strings, preferring them over the Rares. But, to my surprise, I liked a set of Rares on my 12 string Guild. However, Sunbeam doesn't make a 12 string set, so I can't make a comparison.

For such a popular brand, I don't understand why DR doesn't offer a set of Sunbeams for 12 string.

Taylor 856, Taylor GC7, Martin 00-28, Breedlove Oregon Concertina, Breedlove Jeff Bridges Signature, Guild JF55-12, Guild D212, Larrivee OM3, Eastman E20 OM, Farida OT22w, Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra, Blueridge BR-361, Pono 0-15 mango, Journey OF-660, Tanglewood TWJP parlor (Nashville tuned), Paul Reed Smith SE Custom.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:43 PM

I’ve been experimenting with different types and manufacturers of strings over the last several months and am gradually realizing I’m liking 80/20’s over PB’s. I am getting ready to order another 10 sets (all 80/20) and noticed DR makes a set called ‘Hi Beams’. I’ve never read or heard a peep about those and there are 0 reviews on the site I plan to buy on. Maybe they’re dogs? Curious if anyone knows of these.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:50 PM

I do like Dr Rare a lot on my cedar seagull S6, while I actually disliked the sunbeam that I tried once (too bright).

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion