The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-10-2020, 11:07 AM

Phew. I thought maybe this was going to be something truly dangerous, like a DIY soundport or a double pickguard.
Old 08-10-2020, 11:18 AM

There is nothing "Kool-Aid" about installing strap buttons into a guitar (any guitar). If anything, it's the other way around. There are two kinds of people in the guitar-playing world: Those who own guitars, and those who actually play.

It's up to you do decide in which camp you feel more at home.

If you end up deciding you own your D-28 to play it, go ahead and install any strap button in whatever way you believe it will do best what you want it to do.

Contrary to what many may want you to believe, there really isn't more to this story.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 08-10-2020, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mherrcat View Post
Waverly has some nice strap buttons.
I think the Waverly buttons are great; they're what I use.

Bourgeois OM CB/HS
Collings OM1T, OM1MhVN, OM3MhVN
RainSong CH-OM-N2
Santa Cruz OM, H13

Old 08-10-2020, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

And here I thought you were gonna string it with super lites....or something truly unthinkable like putting a Judas Priest sticker on the top....
Old 08-10-2020, 11:35 AM

The first thing I do with every single new guitar is take it to my luthier for a strap button, K&K install and a setup. They are beautiful instruments, but I don't worship them - I play them.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 08-10-2020, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
There is nothing "Kool-Aid" about installing strap buttons into a guitar (any guitar). If anything, it's the other way around. There are two kinds of people in the guitar-playing world: Those who own guitars, and those who actually play.

It's up to you do decide in which camp you feel more at home.

If you end up deciding you own your D-28 to play it, go ahead and install any strap button in whatever way you believe it will do best what you want it to do.

Contrary to what many may want you to believe, there really isn't more to this story.
I agree completely . . .
I wasn't clear - the Kool-Aid was NOT putting on a strap button.

I now have and am very happy.
Old 08-10-2020, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Les Pauls have a really bad design flaw with their strap button location that "encourages" the strap to let go. But no one thinks twice about it (until their neck breaks). It's so prevalent you can search online and find a ton of les pauls with broken necks (more than any other guitar by far).

I had such a failure and have since become fanatical about strap security. Originally enamored of strap locks, I came to find them big, heavy, clunky and in the way on the heel.

I use these now

And if you have the luxury of never removing your strap (which *can* in fact be done) you can put a single stitch to close the hole on your strap for even more security.
I like these - What brand?
Old 08-10-2020, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rixtoy View Post
I like these - What brand?
+1 - I was going to ask the same thing (as a Les Paul owner).
Old 08-10-2020, 02:23 PM

Planet Waves (D'addario strikes again)
Old 08-10-2020, 02:31 PM

Both my Martins have strap buttons. My HD-28V, which I bought used, had one installed. I installed one years ago on my D-2832 Shenandoah.

The button on the HD-28V is very good looking and nicely installed with a felt washer. I doubt that it reduces the value of the guitar.

2012 Martin HD-28V
1984 Martin Shenandoah D-2832
2018 Gretsch G5420TG
Oscar Schmidt Autoharp, unknown vintage
ToneDexter
Bugera V22 Infinium
Old 08-10-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I have had strap buttons and straps on every guitar since 1962. I cannot imagine handling a guitar without a strap. It is the first thing I do out of the case. It is security, and allows one hand free when moving about. And of course it is indispensable when playing standing.
Old 08-11-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
Rixtoy, I have Schaller strap lock buttons on all of the guitars that I gig with, and on one of my banjos and all of the mountain dulcimers that I stand up and sing with when I’m onstage.

I also have them on the National RM-1 resonator mandolin that I helped design because that is one HEAVY little instrument - it fools you the same way that a Gibson Les Paul fools you the first time you see one: it looks as though it couldn’t possibly weigh as much as it actually does!

So the Schaller strap locks are an effective and reliable way to keep your instruments attached to their straps.

What I have found is that the time I’m most liable to have straps pop off an instrument’s strap buttons is when I rapidly change instruments onstage. I always have at least two and often three instruments with me when I gig out, so that changeover from one instrument to another happens a lot. Before I discovered and started using the Schaller hardware, probably 95% of my straps popping off their strap buttons incidents took place then.

Anyway, I consider the Schaller strap locks to be a godsend and have been using them on most of my instruments for over forty years now.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Had a guitar fall off the strap as I was intro-ing a song one show. The entire audience gasped along with me. Fortunately there was no damage but there have been Schallers on every guitar I own ever since.
Ovation Legend
Guild D40
Old 08-11-2020, 08:48 PM

I’ve used a few different strap locks. Like the Dunlop with the push button in the middle best. It’s a little lighter than Schaller. This is important to me as I can be careless at times and have the lock bang against the guitar. Left a mark once or twice. Dunlop’s are black though.
Martin D28 1937 Aged Authentic
John Walker Lochsa
Roberts Slope Dread
Johnny Rushing Ditson Style 12 Fret
Beard Goldtone Resonator
Bob Thompson Slope Shoulder
Old 08-11-2020, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataylor View Post
Phew. I thought maybe this was going to be something truly dangerous, like a DIY soundport or a double pickguard.
Oh the humanity! Friends don't let friends double pickguard, it's not a Guild!

I don't think it's ever occurred to me to care if a guitar had a strap button. If it enhances your experience of playing it, why in the world not? I don't use one but I certainly wouldn't think twice if it was there, any more than I'd care if I bought a used car with a tow hitch installed.
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Bill Jones View Post
I’ve used a few different strap locks. Like the Dunlop with the push button in the middle best. It’s a little lighter than Schaller. This is important to me as I can be careless at times and have the lock bang against the guitar. Left a mark once or twice. Dunlop’s are black though.
Dunlop Strap-loks come in all flavors.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion