The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2020, 04:46 PM

I manually sweeting the tuning on certain guitars sometimes. I have a Peterson, but I don't use their built in sweetened tuning, I will do what I think the guitars needs. For instance, one of my guitars sounds much better if I lower the B string and the low E string just a few cents. I consider that a sweetened tuning for that guitar that I just manually dial in.
Larrivee: CS09 Matt Thomas Limited
Taylor: 314ce, 356e, Baritone 8
Timberline: T60HGc
Old 08-15-2020, 11:12 AM

For me, sweetened tunings are for people who only play one chord. G chord, flatten the B string, sure. Go to play a D chord, now the open D string and the D on the second string are out of tune. Who wants a D chord with the two root notes out of tune? No one wants that. Now go play an E minor chord, and the G string is way out of tune - 15 cents flat! So you go ahead and sharpen the g string, and now your G chord is out of tune! So go ahead and sweeten things, if you sing and play by yourself, but if you play with a piano player, you'll always be out of tune... The exception is a slide guitar, lap steel, dobro, played with a bar - they can and do sweeten the b strings because if they want to play a different chord they just move the bar, and the tuning goes with it. They are still out of tune with the rest of the band... The ship on equal temperament sailed a long time ago...
Old 08-15-2020, 11:28 AM

You're so right. Sweetening the tuning for one key sours the others....no way round it.
Nick

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write