The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 03:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
You just lost your "music fan" card for mixing up the flipping exceptional world-class legendary American band The Pretenders with the quintessential 1-hit-wonder scottish brothers the Proclaimers...ouch. lol
Hahahahaha. Don’t forget tubathumping! Haha

Honestly man, that’s the category my brain puts oasis in. Flash in the pan karaoke songs people were singing the summer I lived in the uk in the early 2000s. That’s just my dumb brain. But I’m glad you love em. What makes the world go round...

I’ll go ahead and complete the delegitimization process for you and step in it with both feet. I also sort of think the Eagles are way overrated too. Yesterday, I read that when someone asked Elliott smith what he thought of the eagles, he just responded “‘Runnin down the road tryin to loosen my load?’ I don’t even want to know what that means.” That sums it up pretty well. So there you go, if they didn’t already, now people will disregard what I’ve written above.

Hey, how about U2? They probably wrote an anthem, maybe Beautiful Day or something from after they sold out? Or the grim Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Or REM It’s the end of the world as we know it?

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-25-2021 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Hahahahaha. Don’t forget tubathumping! Haha

I’ll go ahead and complete the delegitimization process for you and step in it with both feet. I also sort of can’t stand the eagles. Yesterday, I read that when someone asked Elliott smith what he thought of the eagles, he just responded “‘Runnin down the road tryin to loosen my load?’ I don’t even want to know what that means.”
Well the Eagles didn't write that line, Jackson Browne did, so they're gonna have to put the hate squarely on him ;-).

I bow the feet of JB, the Eagles and Elliot. Anyone who can write masterpiece songs, whatever genre, kudos.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:43 PM

We could add Roger Hodgson and Rick Davies from Supertramp ... awesome British musicians and composers.
Old 06-25-2021, 03:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
My point about the radio is that, that’s where most people would hear Oasis. Do you really think that people under 25 years old are seeking out Oasis on YouTube?
As long as we're smack talking here... YouTube scorecard:
Oasis - "Don't Look Back In Anger" -- 109 million views
Tom Petty - "Free Fallin'" -- 88 million views

As for The Eagles, The Dude summed it up best for me (look that one up on YT, if you don't know what I mean). But I think we're actually onto something... Oasis and Pearl Jam are probably closer to The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, U2, etc. in terms of exposure, both live and in the studio.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:04 PM
Charter Member

In 2005, I ripped all of my CDs into MP3s. Ironically, I was into a heavy Oasis kick that year (new album, tour with great opening acts). About five years ago, I ditched all that for streaming (Spotify, Apple Music, etc.) and never looked back.

(removed rest of post, which was even more off-topic)

Cheers and have a good weekend, all.

PS - did someone mention something about a Gibson guitar?

Last edited by Pura Vida; 06-28-2021 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:07 PM

Quote:

Petty is maybe my favorite all time artist and I rack my brain a bit to think of what's the one big sing-along.
American Girl!
Old 06-25-2021, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

As for The Eagles, The Dude summed it up best for me (look that one up on YT, if you don't know what I mean). But I think we're actually onto something... Oasis and Pearl Jam are probably closer to The Eagles, Fleetwood Mac, U2, etc. in terms of exposure, both live and in the studio.
Jeez, only another half billion hits, and they’ll be on par with “hit me baby one more time.” Baby Shark blows them all out of the water though.

The Dude abides.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmcr View Post
American Girl!
That’s earlier than the last 40 year threshold we’ve been working in, so it’s ineligible.
Old 06-25-2021, 04:36 PM

When playing at home, Noel actually prefers noodling on a Graham Coxon Signature Tele.
Old 06-25-2021, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post

Throw in the 108 million views for John Mayer’s Free Fallin’ cover and I win!
Old 06-25-2021, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Throw in the 108 million views for John Mayer’s Free Fallin’ cover and I win!
TP’s music video for FF was probably one of the highest rotation videos for 2-3 years so it probably wins by a landslide
Old 06-25-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silurian View Post
When playing at home, Noel actually prefers noodling on a Graham Coxon Signature Tele.

Finally someone made the Oasis vs Blur reference!

Old 06-26-2021, 01:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
You just lost your "music fan" card for mixing up the flipping exceptional world-class legendary American band The Pretenders with the quintessential 1-hit-wonder scottish brothers the Proclaimers...ouch. lol
The Pretenders’ members were predominantly English, although with occasional American joiners, and the band was based in the UK, formed when Chrissie Hynde lived in London and worked on the NME. So they would be more accurately described as ‘British/American’.

The Proclaimers are far more than ‘one-hit-wonders’, having had UK chart success on numerous occasions. And, of course, their music was showcased in the very successful movie ‘Sunshine On Leith’. Admittedly they seem to be musical Marmite (I’m guessing because of the rather quirky nature of some of their songs and the fact that they sing in their native Scottish accents rather than the yucky pseudo-‘American’ accents assumed by so many British performers), but I love Marmite!

https://www.officialcharts.com/artis...1/proclaimers/

This thread is quite amusing to a Brit, demonstrating as it does the US-centric nature of the forum in general. Probably worth you guys remembering that the world doesn’t end at the US’s borders, there’s a helluva lot of good stuff going on outside!

As ever, the usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

Last edited by JayBee1404; 06-26-2021 at 01:54 AM.
Old 06-26-2021, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scolaguitar View Post
Finally someone made the Oasis vs Blur reference!
I remember trying to be a hipster contrarian as a kid, trying to convince myself that Blur was better than Oasis because everyone was listening to Oasis and most people in the US didn’t pay attention to Blur. But, man, Noel wrote some pop gems and Liam’s voice really was buttery. The rivalry, or any rivalry, is pretty hilarious, but Oasis really takes the belt.
Old 06-26-2021, 03:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfm612 View Post
I remember trying to be a hipster contrarian as a kid, trying to convince myself that Blur was better than Oasis because everyone was listening to Oasis and most people in the US didn’t pay attention to Blur. But, man, Noel wrote some pop gems and Liam’s voice really was buttery. The rivalry, or any rivalry, is pretty hilarious, but Oasis really takes the belt.
‘Buttery’ is just about the last word I’d choose to describe LG’s voice - ‘rusty razor-blade’ makes more sense IMHO!

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion