The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-25-2021, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humbuster View Post
In my opinion one of the best songwriters ever from the UK.

Rated up there with Macca, Townshend and Davies.

Now, before all you Oasis haters start shi**ing

on this thread, as previously noted, this is MY opinion.
Can we add Roger Waters to this list? I mean, he DID write Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, AND The Wall....
Old 06-25-2021, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Wow. This thread makes a Tonerite conversation look tame, by comparison.

Couple of observations:
1. Anyone who's stuck on the "bigger than the Beatles" quote is completely missing the point. Arrogance aside, it's a play on John Lennon's comment from 1966. When Noel doubled down a year later, saying Oasis were "bigger than God," the Spice Girls knocked him down a week later, saying they must be "bigger than Buddha," LOL.

2. I think the music scene is big enough for Oasis, Pearl Jam, and Radiohead. I'd consider all three somewhat comparable in terms of legacy. PJ has the longevity (and as far as front men go, I think Eddie Vedder is a pretty awesome human), Oasis has the widespread global appeal, and Radiohead has the innovation.

That being said, if you asked 100 people worldwide to name five songs by each artist, Oasis would win easily.

3. "Pablo Honey" is so out of touch with who Radiohead are as a band that even they won't play songs from that album, LOL. "OK Computer" was a breakthrough album and paved the way for everything they've done since then.

4. I've seen all three bands perform live. Completely different and cannot be compared against each other. Apples vs. Oranges vs. *Potatoes

*(Oasis fans will appreciate the reference)

5. I've also seen Oasis and Noel Gallagher's HFB. I appreciate Oasis as a huge rock band, but appreciated Noel's songwriting more, when I saw the HFB show.

6. I'm not sure how record sales became the benchmark for being a "better" band, but I'll take the quality of the music over the number of units sold, anytime. What's "good" and what's "popular" are rarely the same thing, when it comes to music and art.

“Just Because You Sell Lots Of Records, It Doesn’t Mean To Say You’re Any Good. Look At Phil Collins.” --- Noel Gallagher

These bands were right out of my 20s, so they've all had a tremendous influence on me. I don't follow country, bluegrass, or Christian music, so this conversation is refreshing for me. Appreciate the spirited, but friendly, discussion.
Old 06-25-2021, 11:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkilgour2000 View Post
Can we add Roger Waters to this list? I mean, he DID write Dark Side, Wish You Were Here, Animals, AND The Wall....
And no, we can't add Waters, or this thread will spin into a Waters vs. Gilmour thread.

(kidding... Waters was/is an amazing songwriter)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Don't Look Back in Anger is the most anthemic (I mean 100,000+ people singing along at a show at the top of their lungs) song of the last 40 years. Anyone wanna suggest something that rivals it?
Old 06-25-2021, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
I'm not sure how record sales became the benchmark for being a "better" band, but I'll take the quality of the music over the number of units sold, anytime. What's "good" and what's "popular" are rarely the same thing, when it comes to music and art.

“Just Because You Sell Lots Of Records, It Doesn’t Mean To Say You’re Any Good. Look At Phil Collins.” --- Noel Gallagher
I'll resist the urge to rabbit hole and just say that I agree with this. We got distracted by album sales numbers, which really don't say a whole lot (which is why we need to point out Backstreet Boys have sold more albums than any of these bands...). There is an aspect of objective beauty and an aspect of subjective appreciation of beauty. I agree sales numbers don't take that whole equation into account. And none of the bands raised above were supposed to be direct 1 vs 1 competition against Oasis, just examples of bands in the same ballpark 90s alternative rock genre.

Because people are making serious claims about Oasis being one of the greatest bands of the modern era, I’ll say this. I was in my teens and 20s when Oasis was big; I listened to some of it. I always found it annoying and not very fresh. (Just my honest personal opinion, nothing more.). Seemed like they were riding momentum of something like what REM had been doing 15 years prior, but failed to reach that level of songwriting or cultural impact. Coldplay was doing a decent version of it (with Parachutes) too. And Radiohead was blasting open the frontiers of what would come next. To put Noel G on the same list of Greats as the Davies brothers, Clapton, Waters/Gilmour, Pete Townsend, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, Lennon/McCartney, Michael Stipe, Kurt Cobain, David Bowie, Steven Stills, Jerry Garcia, Trey Anastasio, Elliott Smith, Lou Reed, Nick Drake, Eddie Vedder, Frank Zappa, Tom Waits, the Heart sisters, Cat Stevens, Thom Yorke, Geddy Lee, Duran Duran, Page/Plant, or Bob Dylan — in terms of people who shaped the entire course of popular music for decades to come -- is ridiculous. That he wrote enough catchy pop hits in the 90s to get a signature Gibson, on the other hand, seems pretty cool. There's nothing wrong with that status, and I'm sure he's happy for 75 million in records sales, for whatever that means beyond $$.

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-25-2021 at 02:07 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:01 PM

This old fart couldn’t name more than a song or two total from the combined Oasis, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, and whoever else you mentioned catalogs. I think I could identify “Wonderwall;” even the title was a Beatles rip off.

Now, Cole Porter, he was a good songwriter.

Get off my lawn.

Steven
Old 06-25-2021, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr81dorn View Post
Don't Look Back in Anger is the most anthemic (I mean 100,000+ people singing along at a show at the top of their lungs) song of the last 40 years. Anyone wanna suggest something that rivals it?
Maybe over in the UK. Lol I don’t even think I know a single lyric in that song. Here in Canada, Oasis are never on the radio. I mean never.
Old 06-25-2021, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Maybe over in the UK. Lol I don’t even think I know a single lyric in that song. Here in Canada, Oasis are never on the radio. I mean never.
To play this game, you are not allowed to say NO, you have to say something bigger. Whatchya got????

Also, who listens to the radio nowadays? And, for what it's worth, I bet you a million bucks (USD cuz it's worth so much more) that we could play the intro to that song to a full hockey arena or at a Raptors game or a Blue jays or whatver and shut if off 2 bars in and the place would sing the rest of the song. It's that kinda song.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:07 PM

Quote:
To play this game, you are not allowed to say NO, you have to say something bigger. Whatchya got????

Also, who listens to the radio nowadays? And, for what it's worth, I bet you a million bucks (USD cuz it's worth so much more) that we could play the intro to that song to a full hockey arena or at a Raptors game or a Blue jays or whatver and shut if off 2 bars in and the place would sing the rest of the song. It's that kinda song.
Honestly, I think it’s in the context of the venue as well. If they cranked Free Fallin’ people would absolutely sing at the top of their lungs, because everyone knows the lyrics. I 100 percent disagree that people at a Raptors game or Blue Jays game would sing to Oasis. You are giving fans too much credit for their music knowledge.

My point about the radio is that, that’s where most people would hear Oasis. Do you really think that people under 25 years old are seeking out Oasis on YouTube?

Regardless though, what’s the point of this anyway lol? If you trying to argue that Oasis are relevant or good because they have one song that people sing to then I could make that same argument for tons of bands.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:

I think your "fanboyness" is showing a bit. Don't get me wrong, I like the song and I like Oasis but in 2021 I really don't think there are that many people who could sing along to that song. I'll counter with "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey even though I'd be okay never hearing that song again.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:14 PM
Charter Member

Nobody beats Queen for most anthemic rock. Pick your song, but We Will Rock you is on top. Or We Are the Champions.

Or anything by AC/DC.

More recently, Rockin in the Free World (Neil Young). I agree, Journey and Petty are legendary too. For the right crowd, Alive (Pearl Jam) too.

Joan Jett “i love rock n roll”

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-25-2021 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenumber2 View Post
I think your "fanboyness" is showing a bit. Don't get me wrong, I like the song and I like Oasis but in 2021 I really don't think there are that many people who could sing along to that song. I'll counter with "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey even though I'd be okay never hearing that song again.
Not really a fanboy, honestly, though I do like Oasis - much more in recent years, honestly. I really liked them in the 90s, but not more than lots of other stuff. I saw them once, in concert in 2008 - just an unbelievable experience. Those giant hit songs in a packed giant arena was pretty memorable.

In the moment, they were inescapable and the biggest band anyone had seen in years...not sure we've seen a bigger band since.

I actually sorta found myself liking them much more after watching the doc I mentioned earlier...just shed some light on them and it was pretty cool. I've re-visited their music and it's great in my opinion.

Also, Don't Stop Believing is the exact kinda song that is in contention for sure. It BARELY qualifies as it was released in 81, but that's a "whole crowd" type of song if there ever was.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Nobody beats Queen for most anthemic rock. Pick your song, but We Will Rock you is on top. Or We Are the Champions.

Or anything by AC/DC.

More recently, Rockin in the Free World (Neil Young). I agree, Journey and Petty are legendary too. For the right crowd, Alive (Pearl Jam) too.
QUeen's the reason I said "last 40 years" as none of their real anthems were in the 80s (though a couple really big hits). They absolutely are the face of the type of song I'm comparing for sure.

Petty is maybe my favorite all time artist and I rack my brain a bit to think of what's the one big sing-along (all of his many hits are, of course). I think the entire Full Moon Fever album would qualify lol (I won't back down, free falling, running down a dream) Amazing. I had 9th row center seats for the last tour and I'll never forget it. So great. I will say, however, a full arena for that show still didn't outsing DLBIA at the Oasis show I saw 10 years prior...it's just a different beast of a song.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
QUeen's the reason I said "last 40 years" as none of their real anthems were in the 80s (though a couple really big hits). They absolutely are the face of the type of song I'm comparing for sure.

Petty is maybe my favorite all time artist and I rack my brain a bit to think of what's the one big sing-along (all of his many hits are, of course). I think the entire Full Moon Fever album would qualify lol (I won't back down, free falling, running down a dream) Amazing. I had 9th row center seats for the last tour and I'll never forget it. So great. I will say, however, a full arena for that show still didn't outsing DLBIA at the Oasis show I saw 10 years prior...it's just a different beast of a song.
Oh man, you sent me down memory lane. I do think Neil Young’s 90s hit rockin in the free world is up there. Hey, but remember tubthumping chumbawamba lol. (I get knocked down! And I get up again!)

And the Proclaimers “I’m gonna be”?! (And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more haha).

Beastie Boys had a few too.

Last edited by zoopeda; 06-26-2021 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-25-2021, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoopeda View Post
Oh man, you sent me down memory lane. I do think Neil Young’s 90s hit rockin in the free world is up there. Hey, but remember tubthumping chumbawamba lol. (I get knocked down! And I get up again!)

And the Pretenders “I’m gonna be”?! (And I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more haha).

Beastie Boys had a few too.
You just lost your "music fan" card for mixing up the flipping exceptional world-class legendary American band The Pretenders with the quintessential 1-hit-wonder scottish brothers the Proclaimers...ouch. lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion