The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-18-2023, 12:38 PM
Charter Member

Today is my birthday, so I have the "official" OK to talk about it...

It's the one Alistair is holding here...

I am very excited... but, we are out in our motorhome right now, and I don't have an amp or any recording equipment with me (we agreed to "travel light" this trip out). For the record, my wife said to me, "I know you really like all the guitars you have, but what would be your dream guitar if you were to add another one?" She saw the notice of the big sale before I did.

Then she told me that she saw Emerald was having a 25% off sale to celebrate their 25 years of making guitars. I told her a Virtuo would be my choice. She said, "Pick a favorite, then a back-up." She did the same. We picked the same "favorite." Then she said, "Let's order it. You have some money set aside from the guitars and stuff you sold when we were in Arizona - I'll make up the rest."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. This is a big birthday and you should have something special."

We're moving to Arizona later this year - I'm the one who said, "No buying more stuff until we get moved into the new house.

--------

Joan did some digging around on Emerald's site and found this glamour shot of the guitar...

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-18-2023 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I received the following email this morning:

Thank you for ordering one of our guitars during the sale. We have experienced an unprecedented level of sales in the past few days and already our shipping department is experiencing a 5 day backlog.
We ensure that every guitar goes through a quality check process prior to dispatch and we cannot rush this process so please allow up to 7 days for dispatch. You will receive tracking details by email when your guitar has been shipped.
We know you will be excited to get your new guitar but we appreciate your patience at this time.

Thank you kindly
Emerald Guitars
I received the same email. Then I checked the tracking number that I had been sent by Emerald and Irish Post is now showing the X7 I ordered on the first day of the sale as shipped (from their facility). The fun and games will really begin when it gets to Canadian customs and Canada Post.

Patience grasshopper...
Old 07-18-2023, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Today is my birthday, so I have the "official" OK to talk about it...

It's the one Alistair is holding here...

I am very excited... but, we are out in our motorhome right now, and I don't have an amp or any recording equipment with me (we agreed to "travel light" this trip out). For the record, my wife said to me, "I know you really like all the guitars you have, but what would be your dream guitar if you were to add another one?" She saw the notice of the big sale before I did.

Then she told me that she saw Emerald was having a 25% off sale to celebrate their 25 years of making guitars. I told her a Virtuo would be my choice. She said, "Pick a favorite, then a back-up." She did the same. We picked the same "favorite." Then she said, "Let's order it. You have some money set aside from the guitars and stuff you sold when we were in Arizona - I'll make up the rest."

"Really?"

"Yes, really. This is a big birthday and you should have something special."

We're moving to Arizona later this year - I'm the one who said, "No buying more stuff until we get moved into the new house.
Happy Birthday Captain! You have a gem of a life partner. That's a beautiful guitar and I see that it features some really nice blonde.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:18 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Road Home View Post
I received the same email. Then I checked the tracking number that I had been sent by Emerald and Irish Post is now showing the X7 I ordered on the first day of the sale as shipped (from their facility). The fun and games will really begin when it gets to Canadian customs and Canada Post.

Patience grasshopper...
How does Canada Post handle it once it gets into their hands? On my first three Emeralds, USPS meant it was going Priority Mail... it moved quickly across the country. On the 3rd one, it got to our local Post Office at 12:10 on a Saturday (they close at noon)... of a holiday weekend. Which meant I couldn't pick it up until the following Tuesday.

It is hard to be patient when you know it is right there.

--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Road Home View Post
Happy Birthday Captain! You have a gem of a life partner. That's a beautiful guitar and I see that it features some really nice blonde.
Thank you. We celebrated our 50th anniversary last year. Pretty sure it was the guitar playing/singing that gave me a shot all those years ago.

I see your "home port" is an island in the Salish Sea. Gulf Islands area? We were on San Juan Island on the US side for the last 5 years of my commercial boat driving. The Salish Sea is a truly beautiful area; we enjoyed cruising all over that area on our own boat. (The X7 was a perfect boat guitar.)

Last edited by Captain Jim; 07-18-2023 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Happy Birthday Captain Jim. You got a winner there and I don’t mean the Virtuo by itself.
Old 07-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PassingThru View Post
Happy Birthday Captain Jim. You got a winner there and I don’t mean the Virtuo by itself.
I am a fortunate guy. And she thanks me when I play guitar for her. OK, something beyond fortunate.
Old 07-18-2023, 02:10 PM

Quote:
How does Canada Post handle it once it gets into their hands? On my first three Emeralds, USPS meant it was going Priority Mail... it moved quickly across the country. On the 3rd one, it got to our local Post Office at 12:10 on a Saturday (they close at noon)... of a holiday weekend. Which meant I couldn't pick it up until the following Tuesday.

It is hard to be patient when you know it is right there.
Canada Post likely handles it in the same way (once it clears customs). My limited experience with them is that service is *ahem* uneven (to be charitable).

Quote:
Thank you. We celebrated our 50th anniversary last year. Pretty sure it was the guitar playing/singing that gave me a shot all those years ago.

I see your "home port" is an island in the Salish Sea. Gulf Islands area? We were on San Juan Island on the US side for the last 5 years of my commercial boat driving. The Salish Sea is a truly beautiful area; we enjoyed cruising all over that area on our own boat. (The X7 was a perfect boat guitar.)
Congrats on the 50 years... you must be a great player and singer.

Yes, San Juan Island is beautiful. I'm on Salt Spring Island (and have friends with boats).
Old 07-18-2023, 02:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I received the following email this morning:

Thank you for ordering one of our guitars during the sale. We have experienced an unprecedented level of sales in the past few days and already our shipping department is experiencing a 5 day backlog.

We ensure that every guitar goes through a quality check process prior to dispatch and we cannot rush this process so please allow up to 7 days for dispatch. You will receive tracking details by email when your guitar has been shipped.

We know you will be excited to get your new guitar but we appreciate your patience at this time.

Thank you kindly

Emerald Guitars
I think that means you stopped telling yourself you didn't need another guitar?
Old 07-18-2023, 02:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I am a fortunate guy. And she thanks me when I play guitar for her. OK, something beyond fortunate.
Congratulations, Jim - I’m firmly of the belief that there’s no such thing as ‘fortune’, but that doesn’t mean you can’t feel fortunate

I’m going to be very interested in your thoughts on the Virtuo when it’s in your hands. From everything I’ve read and seen, it really does seem to be an extremely well executed hybrid.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 07-18-2023, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspiring View Post
I think that means you stopped telling yourself you didn't need another guitar?
The same thought had crossed my mind…
Cordoba Stage

Old 07-18-2023, 04:57 PM

Quote:
What an awesome birthday gift from your wife!!
Old 07-18-2023, 05:02 PM

I received the shipping notification from my purchase on Saturday, but it didn't have a UPS Tracking Number of 1Z.... even though I opted for expedited shipping.

Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

I know they are swamped, but I sure hope it hasn't inadvertently been sorted for standard shipping.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
I received the shipping notification from my purchase on Saturday, but it didn't have a UPS Tracking Number of 1Z.... even though I opted for expedited shipping.

I know they are swamped, but I sure hope it hasn't inadvertently been sorted for standard shipping.
That would be really unfortunate. Several years ago before Emerald started offering "expedited shipping," I received one at the post office and had to pay a several hundred dollar "customs fee" ransom. I've gladly paid the expedited shipping fee via UPS ever since...
Old 07-18-2023, 05:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
Congratulations, Jim - I’m firmly of the belief that there’s no such thing as ‘fortune’, but that doesn’t mean you can’t feel fortunate

I’m going to be very interested in your thoughts on the Virtuo when it’s in your hands. From everything I’ve read and seen, it really does seem to be an extremely well executed hybrid.
Thanks, David. I do feel fortunate. Plenty of people don't get the opportunity to have 50 years with a supportive spouse. We have always had each other's back. (We worked together most of our adult lives.)

Regarding the Virtuo: I appreciate a guitar that can be considered a hybrid. Joan bought a T5 (for me) many years ago, and it is a great guitar. I feel the same way about my X10: so many tone options. The Virtuo seems like the next evolution, but leaning even more to the electric side - I already know I like the Fishman Fluence pickups.

Now, as far as "needing another guitar"... I also feel fortunate about that situation. Joan is already planning how we'll hang guitars in the music room in the new house. It makes my heart happy when I take a guitar off the wall and start playing... and she can identify which guitar it is without looking. She is invested in this passion of mine, too.
Old 07-18-2023, 05:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post

If it has, I’m sure they’ll be happy to refund the cost.
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber