The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-13-2012, 02:58 PM

Default NGD: Kremona F65CW

My new gig classical, a Kremona Fiesta F65CW. The specs:
European Spruce Top (solid)
Indian Rosewood back/sides/bridge (solid)
Ebony board
Mahogany neck (with Rosewood peghead overlay)
Maple binding
Fishman Pro Prefix Blend (pickup/mic/barndoor controls)

This guitar is an unbelievably pleasant surprise. I have been needing a nylon string gig guitar since I sold my Taylor NS62, I found this one and at the price (a little under $1k), why not. The guitar is very nice, woods/build quality/finish are all top notch, even the tuners (with REAL rosewood buttons) are excellent, nearly (and I do mean NEARLY) as smooth as the Irving Sloanes on my Darren Hippner Torres. While I am not a fan of barndoor electronics, the Fishman system is nice in that it has a mic/pickup blend control. I play everything through a Fishman Aura Spectrum so in loud situations, I could go pickup only and use the Aura, normally, I blend mic/pickup and cut the blend control on the Aura off.

Acoustically, the guitar is very good and balanced. It would satisfy most any player. Obviously, when compared to my Hippner, it is not in that league (nor should it be expected to be), but it is quite good. It avoids the most common bugaboo of inexpensive classicals in that it is very evenly balanced between bass and treble. Most less expensive classicals have too much bass (or not enough treble, depending on your point of view). I will try to record something with it acoustically and plugged into a Genz Benz this weekend.

Jimmy

PS. Please note that this is a CLASSICAL guitar (with a cutaway), not a crossover. It is: normal classical depth body, normal classical width across the lower bout, 52mm nut width, and 650mm scale length

NOW THE PICS:

Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor

Last edited by jimmy bookout; 10-13-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Title was incorrect
Old 10-14-2012, 03:57 PM

Congrats Jimmy! What a great looking classical. Thanks for stating that it is indeed a classical and not a hybrid. Great looking rosette.

When you gig will it be primarily on this guitar or will you also play an acoustic?
Old 10-14-2012, 04:16 PM

Nice! I love the rosette on that one.

I have to ask, is it an optical illusion, or is something going on with the first fret/6th string area on the fingerboard? Is that a reflection, lighter piece of wood or a chunk missing?? I can't see it that well but something looks funky in that area.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 10-14-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasper View Post
Nice! I love the rosette on that one.

I have to ask, is it an optical illusion, or is something going on with the first fret/6th string area on the fingerboard? Is that a reflection, lighter piece of wood or a chunk missing?? I can't see it that well but something looks funky in that area.
It's a light area of the ebony board.

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Old 10-14-2012, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Congrats Jimmy! What a great looking classical. Thanks for stating that it is indeed a classical and not a hybrid. Great looking rosette.

When you gig will it be primarily on this guitar or will you also play an acoustic?
Dru,
The Kremona will be played primarily plugged in on gigs. When I record, I do so with external microphones and use the Hippner (which does not have a pickup in it). I posted this video in "show and tell" but here's the Hippner. It is a Torres model so it is smaller than the Kremona with maple back and sides and a shorter scale (630mm).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaKuYeSSYbs&feature=plcp

Jimmy
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical