The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-08-2019, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Love those pics! Got any more you want to share?
Glad you like it! Not to hijack the whole thread, but here you go. Side piece (sapwood will be trimmed so no sapwood on the finished sides), molded side with ebony-bound sound port, and mock-up of guitar inlays. Inspiration came from Tolkien's "The Trolls" illustration for The Hobbit, specifically the fire and smoke.

Old 09-08-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itzkinguitars View Post
Tom Sands model S in Ceylon satinwood and European spruce due spring/summer of 2021 #dasnice

#dasnice indeed! I love Ceylon Satinwood. A builder friend of mine gave me a set a few years back, just striking. Plus, Tom makes a fantastic guitar.
Old 09-08-2019, 02:47 PM

My dream guitar is delayed until after my daughter's wedding, per order of my CFO.

However... sometime after that wonderful day, I will be commissioning Dale Fairbanks to create a guitar with the playability of John Thomas' WWII (Kalamazoo Gal) beater guitar, and the 'thump' of a Gibson SJ. It's going to have a little bling, but not too much - maybe just some trapezoid fret markers.

May aim is to have Dale create a great sounding, great feeling guitar that speaks. And in that spirit, I am going to give him the leeway to design it as he sees fit. I see commissioning a guitar almost like commissioning a painting - you have to let the artist\luthier have a great time creating the product and then you get to share that creation.

Plus, I have a large slab of mahogany handed down to me by a great pal who left this earth in January. He really thought it would make a great guitar and I would love to incorporate some of this wood into the guitar.

Unfortunately, as part of the deal, the CFO has requested that I sell the Bourgeois 00 Country Boy. Sigh, we'll see - but sometimes, sacrifices need to be made.

And the wedding is almost here!
Old 09-08-2019, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion James View Post
#dasnice indeed! I love Ceylon Satinwood. A builder friend of mine gave me a set a few years back, just striking. Plus, Tom makes a fantastic guitar.
I've loved Satinwood since my early teen years when I had the chance to play a Simplicio from the 20's. Such a gorgeous timber! The plan is to pick up the guitar at Woodstock 2021, any chance you'll be exhibiting there alongside Tom?
Old 09-08-2019, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I've loved Satinwood since my early teen years when I had the chance to play a Simplicio from the 20's. Such a gorgeous timber! The plan is to pick up the guitar at Woodstock 2021, any chance you'll be exhibiting there alongside Tom?

I just emailed the organizer of Woodstock this week. Hoping to be exhibiting! It’ll be nice to see this guitar in person!
Old 09-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Charter Member

I started my year off with a incredible guitar made by Karan Singh at Bigfoot Guitars. Its an amazing Modifed Dread: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=523232

I'll be ending the year with my third Kostal. An MDW in Braziian/German : https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=536558

Omega Braz MJ, 2011 Omega MJ Braz Baritone
Ryan Cathedral ABW/Bosnian
Build thread: 2011 Kostal Mod D Brazilian/German
Build thread: 2019 Kostal MDW Brazilian/German
Build thread:2019 Bigfoot Mod D
Old 09-08-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
I just emailed the organizer of Woodstock this week. Hoping to be exhibiting! It’ll be nice to see this guitar in person!
That's great news! Very much looking forward to seeing one of your No. 4's in person!

Tom posted a video of the unboxing of my Satinwood set a few weeks ago on Instagram, the figuring is incredible...

Old 09-08-2019, 09:41 PM

Quote:
That's great news! Very much looking forward to seeing one of your No. 4's in person!

Tom posted a video of the unboxing of my Satinwood set a few weeks ago on Instagram, the figuring is incredible...

Ooof! that figure is amazing, makes me want to pull my set out to compare!

Fingers crossed we can cross paths at Woodstock. I’d love to show you my work.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Glad you like it! Not to hijack the whole thread, but here you go. Side piece (sapwood will be trimmed so no sapwood on the finished sides), molded side with ebony-bound sound port, and mock-up of guitar inlays. Inspiration came from Tolkien's "The Trolls" illustration for The Hobbit, specifically the fire and smoke.
Fantastic! Maybe you can start a build thread so I we can see more.

Love the Tolkien reference too (he says as he rereads a particular Katherine Kerr series).
Old 09-09-2019, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
I have a Sexauer OM Pernambuco/Adi, Brondel A2c Cuban Hog/Englemann in 2020 and Circa 0012c in Maple/Adi in 2021. These will be my 1st voyage into new builds.

Wonderful additions to you’re fantastic collection!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:48 AM

Working on a 1929 OM, Lutz over Pau Rosa. They were a 12 fret but my son wants 13 fret, 24.9. Madagascar Rosewood bridge and fingerboard.

Brent
Old 09-09-2019, 12:16 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I took delivery of my custom this past July after an 18 month wait so. Since I am more than thrilled with the custom guitars that I have, I am so happy to follow all of the lucky folks here who have what looks to be a number of outstanding guitars being created for them. Congrats and I will look forward to watching all of these beauties come together.

Best,
Jayne
Old 09-09-2019, 02:29 PM
Charter Member

Default Dream Check. Might make us happy to know...

Great idea for a thread Josh!

I've got a Michael Bashkin, zircote/carpithian OM currently in the works that's sharing the bench with Chippygreen's beautiful build. We've enlisted the services of Harvey Leach for some inlay work, and so far, I'm loving where we're headed.

I'm also in the queue with Leo Buendia, but we are at least a couple of years away from starting.

Like many of you, I have plenty on my wish list, but at the top is perhaps Mike Baranik. I really need to take a weekend to visit Paso Robles and seal the deal.

Last edited by nootis; 09-09-2019 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Wonderful additions to you’re fantastic collection!
Thanks Dion. Really enjoying your No. 4 in Birdseye Maple. It really is a great guitar. I forgot to mention that I have my name on Burton Legeyt's list as well, just not sure when he will get me on the schedule.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwpierce View Post
Thanks Dion. Really enjoying your No. 4 in Birdseye Maple. It really is a great guitar. I forgot to mention that I have my name on Burton Legeyt's list as well, just not sure when he will get me on the schedule.

I’m glad you’re enjoying it! Burton is among my favourite builders!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop