The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 03-20-2019, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras
Default More Pictures

Here are some shots of how Sparky uses the Chladni process in voicing his tops. When I visited his shop early last year, it was impressive to see how he keeps his notes and diagrams on what he learns from the vibrational patterns and how that translates into bracing the guitar.

No way I can explain anything technical about this process but only to say that Sparky makes a very balanced guitar with great tone and great intonation all the way up the neck.

400hz
[IMG][/IMG]

237hz
[IMG][/IMG]

198hz
[IMG][/IMG]

144hz
[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for following along.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2019, 02:25 PM
Music soothes the soul!

Like you said, don't understand it much but sure is cool they can use this technique to zero in.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigarfan View Post
Like you said, don't understand it much but sure is cool they can use this technique to zero in.
I think it has to do with using nodes to maximize the vibrations and minimize the dead spots but that is purely speculative on my part. There may be an interview somewhere with Sparky so I will research and post if I discover it.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

If people are interested in learning a bit more about what Sparky is doing, you should check this out:

http://www.blanchardguitars.com/guit...hladni_buy.php

Sparky’s teacher on this topic was luthier Mark Blanchard. Mark has a wonderful 68 page presentation that he gave at the 2007 Healdsburg Guitar Festival on this subject. I am not a luthier, but I purchased it about 5 years ago and found it to be both informative and available to the lay person guitarist.
Old 03-21-2019, 03:57 PM

Jayne,
What's his web site? Interested in learning more!! Thanks,
Fred
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-21-2019, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Jayne,

What's his web site? Interested in learning more!! Thanks,

Fred

Hi Fred,

It’s www.randallkramerguitars.com

It is a pretty spartan website but has all the pertinent info on his guitar models.

And if you do a web search you’ll find some articles and interviews with him.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
If people are interested in learning a bit more about what Sparky is doing, you should check this out:

http://www.blanchardguitars.com/guit...hladni_buy.php

Sparky’s teacher on this topic was luthier Mark Blanchard. Mark has a wonderful 68 page presentation that he gave at the 2007 Healdsburg Guitar Festival on this subject. I am not a luthier, but I purchased it about 5 years ago and found it to be both informative and available to the lay person guitarist.

Thanks for adding this. I’ll look forward to checking it out.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-21-2019, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Hi Fred,

It’s www.randallkramerguitars.com

It is a pretty spartan website but has all the pertinent info on his guitar models.

And if you do a web search you’ll find some articles and interviews with him.

Best,
Jayne
Thank you, Jayne!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 03-21-2019, 11:07 PM
Charter Member

Jayne,
As you know I have played and loved your Bois Kramer (possibly the finest back and side set I’ve ever seen) and I’m sure this new baby will be absolutely incredible
Old 03-22-2019, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
Here are some shots of how Sparky uses the Chladni process in voicing his tops. When I visited his shop early last year, it was impressive to see how he keeps his notes and diagrams on what he learns from the vibrational patterns and how that translates into bracing the guitar.

No way I can explain anything technical about this process but only to say that Sparky makes a very balanced guitar with great tone and great intonation all the way up the neck.

400hz
[IMG][/IMG]

237hz
[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for following along.

Best,
Jayne
It's amazing to think that different frequencies affect the top in different areas.

For those that want a little more background, one of our Aussie universities has some information too - http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/g...archladni.html

I used to hate physics at school, but if they'd taught this I might have paid more attention!
Old 03-22-2019, 07:45 AM

This is going to be a wonderful guitar, Jayne! Thanks for letting us follow along! And we get to do "guitar physics!" I stayed away from the whole science building in college. But my husband, the Caltech physics major/NASA engineer is very intrigued by the physics of guitars and that has become one way for us to connect around my love of guitars and music. He says yep-- a well known physics experiment. Can spread sand or talcum powder on any plate to assess the frequencies. Just showed him your pictures and he's intrigued....

I look forward to your updates and following along-

beth

Last edited by mountainguitar; 03-22-2019 at 08:09 AM. Reason: adding spouse's input : )
Old 03-22-2019, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
one of our Aussie universities has some information too - http://newt.phys.unsw.edu.au/music/g...archladni.html
Thanks for the link Col. I found it very informative after I turned it upside down. : )

Steve
Old 03-22-2019, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
This is going to be a wonderful guitar, Jayne! Thanks for letting us follow along! And we get to do "guitar physics!" I stayed away from the whole science building in college. But my husband, the Caltech physics major/NASA engineer is very intrigued by the physics of guitars and that has become one way for us to connect around my love of guitars and music. He says yep-- a well known physics experiment. Can spread sand or talcum powder on any plate to assess the frequencies. Just showed him your pictures and he's intrigued....

I look forward to your updates and following along-

beth
Thanks, Beth. I look forward to your report from the Texas shindig coming up. Sounds like it will be great fun with a number of both outstanding guitars and people.

Best,
Jayne
Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 PM
AGF Sponsor

This is looking like a great guitar. Which is not a surprise. Sparky makes an excellent guitar!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Charter Member

Default More pictures!

The guitar is coming along nicely and Sparky sent a batch of pictures to me over the weekend. Here is the journey of the back getting both braced and getting that "sawdust mojo treatment". Some back modes before bracing. Frequencies are 273hz, 204hz, 88hz, and 115hz but I can't swear to which is which as the photos may have changed sequence along the way.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Prepping and carving the back braces. I love seeing those tiny planes in the background.

[IMG]
[/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Thanks for following and I'll have some pics of the rosette and the box a bit later.

Best,
Jayne

Last edited by jaymarsch; 04-01-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added content

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop