The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-16-2018, 06:53 PM

Default Broken Truss Rod on Epiphone EJ200

I broke the truss rod on my beloved Epiphany EJ200 acoustic.
Question is. What's the cost on a repair on something like this?
I'm pretty handy, is this something a weekend handyman can do?
Is my guitar toast?
Here's some pics of the break.

Thanks,
Andy

Old 09-16-2018, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamboknee View Post
I'm pretty handy, is this something a weekend handyman can do?
Not likely.

Quote:
Is my guitar toast?
Nope. Throw enough money at something and nearly anything can be fixed.

Likely, you'll need the fingerboard removed and a new truss rod installed. About a few hundred bucks, likely.
Old 09-16-2018, 08:05 PM

Yep, fingerboard removal and new truss rod install and refit the board

Way it up, fix it yourself and be okay with any small defects or pay someone or rep,ace.

To pay someone, I would expect being a bound board 250-350, dependant on location.

To fix it yourself, use a house iron and sit it on the frets, use a thin spatula to work the glue bond under the fretboard, between the binding and neck, slowly remove the fretboard, replace or repair truss rod, clean and reglue, sounds simple but quite a few things can and will likely will go wrong.

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE

Last edited by mirwa; 09-17-2018 at 03:36 AM.
Old 09-17-2018, 06:37 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I love the guitar so might have to spend the money but will research the truss rod replacement videos on youtube.
Old 09-17-2018, 09:42 AM

Take a look at this Stew-Mac link, it might be a solution to your problem.
https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...tructions.html
Old 09-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napman41 View Post
Take a look at this Stew-Mac link, it might be a solution to your problem.
https://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...tructions.html
Thanks Napman41. Heading out now to a luthier shop for an estimate. If that's priced beyond my budget I might just have to go the StewMac way.
Old 09-17-2018, 10:48 AM

I suspect this one has a metal channel around the rod, so I am doubtful that the Stew Mac kit would work.
Old 09-18-2018, 01:11 PM

The down side to the Stew Mac method is that you remove a fair amount of wood right where the neck is the thinnest. It can be tricky to not bore through completely, and the neck will be permanently weakened.
Old 05-12-2019, 01:23 PM

UPDATE: I took to the only guy in my town who can fix a broken truss rod in Sept 2018. I JUST picked it up yesterday and he hadn’t done anything on the repair. Long story short, this guy sucks and I need to find someone who can do this repair.
How do I go about finding someone who I can ship the guitar to for repair?
Old 05-12-2019, 02:30 PM

If your going to do the job yourself pull a couple of frets and drill two alignment holes through the fretboard and into the neck about 1/8 inch to fit small pins so that alignment and re-glue will perfect.

Remove fretboard and evaluate the next step.

"If you try to play like someone else, Who will play like you". Quote from Johnny Gimble

The only musician I have to impress today is the musician I was yesterday.

No tubes, No capos, No Problems.
Old 05-12-2019, 03:20 PM

A quick look at the MF web site just now shows the EJ200 as a $500 guitar brand new including a cutaway and electronics. GC has an EC used one listed for $250. Mirwa described the process well, and I cannot picture being able to ship, properly repair, and return ship this for less than its new replacement value. You may just have a wall hanger now, or a repair project to experiment on.

Quote:
It helps to know where you are, roughly. There is no point in suggesting a shop if you are in a different country altogether.
Old 05-12-2019, 04:58 PM

I do this repair often. The original truss rods are a weak design and often fail if used to add relief. The new rod will be better than the one that was in there.
Cost is around $350 with finish work. This depends a bit on actual finish color. Contact me if you still need someone.
Old 05-12-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
UPDATE: I took to the only guy in my town who can fix a broken truss rod in Sept 2018. I JUST picked it up yesterday and he hadn’t done anything on the repair. Long story short, this guy sucks and I need to find someone who can do this repair.
That is an appalling situation.

The reason for it is simple, the person you took it too was a guitar tech not a luthier, find a luthier.

So many people these days in our field use catalogs to acquire their parts, the skills of a luthier, are fast dis-appearing

Brians price sounds right, i have two broken truss rods in my que at the momment, (different country), turn around time is typically 3-4 days
Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-12-2019, 05:57 PM

Default Broken Truss Rod on Epiphone EJ200

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirwa View Post
That is an appalling situation.

The reason for it is simple, the person you took it too was a guitar tech not a luthier, find a luthier.

So many people these days in our field use catalogs to acquire their parts, the skills of a luthier, are fast dis-appearing

Brians price sounds right, i have two broken truss rods in my que at the momment, (different country), turn around time is typically 3-4 days
Steve

Regretfully just like other artisans Luthiers are disappearing. It takes years, studying, apprenticeship and work to become an expert in any field. There are always people that call themselves experts but the proof is in the quality of their work. As a retired photographer I saw this coming years ago in that field. Smart equipment does not make up for knowledge and experience.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 05-12-2019, 06:06 PM

With no experience I removed two fretboards. The first time on a maple neck with rosewood fingerboard it was simple and came right off and went back on just fine (broken truss rod). The second time was on a mahogony neck with a rosewood fingerboard (I think). That did not go as well. I got it off- but I cut into the neck pretty bad and while the repair was functional- its ugly
So I guess I am getting at- if you go the D.I.Y method- be OK with failing or having a marred guitar. Also- remove a fret and drill the holes. I didnt and it was a pain getting em back on right.
my 2 cents

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair