The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-09-2015, 10:58 PM

Default How good can a cheap guitar sound?

Ok so here goes my first post on this forum! I recently bought an Epiphone AJ220S which so far has been a really nice solid, beautiful guitar. It has a pretty darn good action, a beautiful sunburst finish, solid spruce top, and a really nice satin finished neck (which I never knew that I preferred until playing this guitar). The only Issue with this guitar is that the tone isn't quite there. Now yes, I know It's a low end instrument, and no I don't expect it to sound as good as the J45 it was modeled after. But I'm kind of interested to see how good I can make it. just for kicks, and also to learn how to work on my own guitars So far I have replaced the factory .12 guage strings with .13's which sort of helped with bass response. I also upgraded the saddle to bone which seemed to increase sustain, and note clarity. Now I'm wondering if there's anything more I can do to improve this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Old 03-09-2015, 11:14 PM

First of all welcome to this forum, it is good to talk with you. As you mention that you buy a new guitar that looks pretty. I am interested to see it. can you post its images? These days I am also interested to buy my own guitar.

Last edited by M19; 03-10-2015 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Commercial link removed
Old 03-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Hey there! Welcome to the Forum... nice to have you here.

As you have already surmised, effecting any sort of "drastic" shift in tone or volume just isn't gonna happen; you are right. It is a lower end instrument.

Truth? The BEST thing you can do to make that guitar sound better is also the least expensive one...

PLAY IT!!!! I mean, play the thing a whole bunch, and then play it some more...

You'd be surprised how good a guitar will sound when the person playing it also happens to be a good or great player!

Changing the nut and the saddle to bone can make a difference in tone, as can going to heavier strings... there are many brands of strings from which to choose, and not all of them sound the same, not at all! So, experimenting with different strings is a good thing, until you find a brand/set you really love.

But really? Playing it a lot is the best thing you can do to have it sound better...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 03-09-2015, 11:29 PM

Yeah, I'm certainly not expecting any tone miracles to happen. I'm just a tinkerer who loves to learn. I play this guitar every chance I get when I'm not playing my FG750S (love that guitar).

Last edited by Atalkingsausage; 03-09-2015 at 11:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:36 AM

I had a $100 guitar that sounded like a $1,000 guitar, and I played a $1,000 that sounded a $7,000 guitar so I came to the conclusion that my $100 guitar sounded like a $7,000 guitar, and I decided to sell it for half, but no one wanted to give me $3,500
Old 03-10-2015, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Technique, technique, and more technique...

How you hold the guitar, how you strum/pluck and where you strum/pluck, how your strumming arm is anchored will dramatically alter how your guitar sounds.

I have 3 parlor guitars but only 1 of them is solid top/back/sides. I have a friend I jam with from time to time and because of his technique vs my technique I can get more bass out of my 200 dollar parlor than he can out of my 1200 parlor. Now if I go on my 1200 dollar parlor you would think my friend was playing a 5 dollar garage sale ukulele in comparison.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:09 AM

80/20 strings might help. Epiphone's are generally to some degree copies of Gibson's. Which is known for it's bass oriented tones. I've owned several Epiphone's over the years and found that using 80/20's strings added a briteness and crispness that IMO was lacking.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

There's the sound of the guitar and there's the sound of the performance. The sound of the guitar won't change much beyond what you can achieve with different strings and a better saddle. But the sound of the performance can grow almost without limit as you master the instrument. Eventually, you may want to upgrade. But for now, developing your playing skills is probably the thing that will make the biggest difference in the performance, and its the performance, not the tone of the guitar, that the vast majority of people will hear.

On the other hand, if the setup isn't good, that'll hold you back and you may even develop habits you'll have to unlearn if and when you get a better guitar. But if playability is decent, you may want to learn to get the best out of the instrument as it is until you are ready to move up to something else. A lot of great music can come from a humble guitar and the money you could spend on small, incremental upgrades may be put to better use if you put it aside until you're ready for a new guitar.

All just my opinion, of course.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:12 AM

Mechanically, there isn't much more you can do with a guitar besides changing the obvious things like strings, nut, saddle, pins. Beyond that, the tone is defined by the builder and the materials. There are folks who will have the bracing scalloped, tinker with fret size and material, among other modifications. As others have stated, the player dictates the sound. And, playing and age improve the tone in subtle ways. Of course, you know that. I have found that if a guitar does not speak to you, or produce the kind of tone you desire, look for one that does. It doesn't necessarily have to be expensive. Then, once you get it, keep it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-10-2015, 08:17 AM

I saw a post a while ago about Power Pins. If you're looking for more sustain and a brighter sound, those might fit the bill. Of course, there are varying opinions on those. I've not tried them, but I might give them a shot someday.

Electric: Fender Deluxe Stratocaster HSS Plus Top (Aged Cherry Burst)

TC Helicon Play Acoustic
Line 6 Helix
Line 6 Spider V 120
Old 03-10-2015, 08:47 AM
Charter Member

I think the best ways to play with tone are strings, followed by saddle. That epi is a great guitar. I bet you can really stretch the tone quite a bit by experimenting between PBs, 80/20s, monel, and also string gauge. If you are beginner, that guitar is awesome for your needs - and even above that.

Regarding, "how good can a cheap guitar sound?" - This is Mandolin Orange in a field, with no reverb or processing, on a lower end Taylor and a Yamaha dread. I think this sounds pretty good:

Old 03-10-2015, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
Ok so here goes my first post on this forum! I recently bought an Epiphone AJ220S which so far has been a really nice solid, beautiful guitar. It has a pretty darn good action, a beautiful sunburst finish, solid spruce top, and a really nice satin finished neck (which I never knew that I preferred until playing this guitar). The only Issue with this guitar is that the tone isn't quite there. Now yes, I know It's a low end instrument, and no I don't expect it to sound as good as the J45 it was modeled after. But I'm kind of interested to see how good I can make it. just for kicks, and also to learn how to work on my own guitars So far I have replaced the factory .12 guage strings with .13's which sort of helped with bass response. I also upgraded the saddle to bone which seemed to increase sustain, and note clarity. Now I'm wondering if there's anything more I can do to improve this thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
You know I've been a member of this forum for years and it's amazing how detailed some of the threads can get on the different topics..It's fascinating and really interesting to me..But sometimes I find myself getting too caught up in the minutiae of the discussions and need to take a break now and then.

One time I read an interview a Guitar Magazine had with Paul McCartney and they were peppering him with questions about equipment, strings, etc and asking him how he acquired certain instruments etc. and he simply replied that he always went for the cheapest...i.e. his Hofner...because at the time he was poor and then the Epiphone Texan acoustic which he played "Yesterday" on...(may be viewed on You Tube) because he had been instilled with a sense of value from his dad. He still has both instruments to this day and still plays them!

He went on to tell the interviewer that he wouldn't know about all the technical aspects of the instruments he played but that what was most important to him was the music and the creativity. I loved that answer!

Because at one time I became that "equipment snob" and before you know it I was finding myself not liking my attitude....expecially with younger players who obviously couldn't afford a Taylor or Martin. One day I was humbled when I heard a young man playing a $99 guitar at guitar center and he absolutely blew everyone away! I felt like giving one of my Taylors to him!

So I guess the point I'm trying to make is to be realistic and look at your budget and choose a guitar based upon connection...what I mean by that is that if it speaks to you and you are also wise enough not to get yourself in deep debt....focus on getting better as a player more so than the instrument you get.

I've amassed all my "nicer" instruments in my older years when they became affordable but as a young kid growing up listening to the Beatles I cut my chops on cheap guitars and you know what? I wish I still had them...

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 03-10-2015, 09:00 AM

You could turn the question around and ask "how bad can a great guitar sound?" because guitars don't play themselves and if you are a poor player with no timing it doesn't matter how good the guitar is, you will always sound bad.

Like others have said I recommend loads of practice and less worrying about the guitar.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Charter Member

I was recently looking for a beater and I played some AJ 220's. The first two I didn't care for so I put them up. A few days later I went back and picked up a different one and I was really impressed with it. I almost bought it, but by then I was looking at more expensive guitars.

I would take it to knowledgeable person and see what they had to say about improving it. But I agree, play it a lot and the sound will improve. It has a solid Spruce top so you're already half way there. There are also some other great suggestions posted.

I have an AJ40tlc Epi that is a great guitar, especially plugged into my TR100.

trek1500,

Great reply!!!
Old 03-10-2015, 09:10 AM

Thumbs up It is what it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
Yeah, I'm certainly not expecting any tone miracles to happen. I'm just a tinkerer who loves to learn.

The string brands and how you attack the strings(pick, finger-style) will be your best bet. You've done the basic changes without going into debt. By the way....great avatar name

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
aj220s, epiphone, gibson, guitar, j45