The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 05-21-2014, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Default 3 Zigma or Oktava question

I do some home recording and presently have (2) ADK A6 mics and a stock Oktava MC-012 (Russian made) with the cardioid capsule. My needs are almost exclusively for a single acoustic guitar; no vocals. I sometimes like to use a combination of the Oktava SDC and one ADK A6.

I'm considering getting the Oktava updated by Michael Joly, but I'm also wondering if I should do that or if I should consider the 3 Zigma mic with the cardioid capsule. It would be a bit more expensive going with the 3 Zigma, but I could offset that by selling the Oktava.

Anyone have experience with both of these mics?

Also, I realize some folks might say it would be more important to get room treatment; I'm also planning to do that.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 05-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I do some home recording and presently have (2) ADK A6 mics and a stock Oktava MC-012 (Russian made) with the cardioid capsule. My needs are almost exclusively for a single acoustic guitar; no vocals. I sometimes like to use a combination of the Oktava SDC and one ADK A6.

I'm considering getting the Oktava updated by Michael Joly, but I'm also wondering if I should do that or if I should consider the 3 Zigma mic with the cardioid capsule. It would be a bit more expensive going with the 3 Zigma, but I could offset that by selling the Oktava.

Anyone have experience with both of these mics?

Also, I realize some folks might say it would be more important to get room treatment; I'm also planning to do that.
Chuck,

I PM'd you.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Chuck,

I PM'd you.
Thanks Steve

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi

Last edited by ChuckS; 06-23-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:10 PM

Darn. I was interested in what sdelsoray had to say.

Jim McCarthy
Old 06-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by runamuck View Post
Darn. I was interested in what sdelsoray had to say.

Jim McCarthy
Me too ???????????????

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 06-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

Chuck and I spoke about the Oktava MC-012 and 3 Zigma CHI TLII mics each with their respective small diaphragm capsules. There is a comprehensive review of the 3 Zigma CHI mics at 3 Zigma Mic Review from about four years ago.

Since I have both modded Oktavas (Dorsey mid, not Joly mod) and 3 Zigma CHI mics, I've compared them side by side under a variety of conditions.

As the Recording Hacks review states, the modified Oktavas and 3 Zigma CHI (each with SD cardioid caps) are quite similar. My own subjective opinion is to give a nod to the 3 Zigma mics over modded Oktavas.

I've used the 3 Zigma mics (all 4 of the different SD caps) along with other SD mics in my collection, including pairs of Gefell M295, Gefell M300, Telefunken M260, Schoeps CMC64 and Neumann KM184. Although I certainly prefer most of those mics over the 3 Zigmas, they nevertheless can stand their own among the "uber" mics.

Last edited by sdelsolray; 06-24-2014 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
Chuck and I spoke about the Oktava MC-012 and 3 Zigma CHI TLII mics each with their respective small diaphragm capsules. There is a comprehensive review of the 3 Zigma CHI mics at 3 Zigma Mic Review from about four years ago.

Since I have both modded Oktavas (Dorsey mid, not Joly mod) and 3 Zigma CHI mics, I've compared them side by side under a variety of conditions.

As the Recording Hacks review states, the modified Oktavas and 3 Zigma CHI (each with SD cardioid caps) are quite similar. My own subjective opinion is to give a nod to the 3 Zigma mics over modded Oktavas.

I've used the 3 Zigma mics (all 4 of the different SD caps) along with other SD mics in my collection, including pairs of Gefell M295, Gefell M300, Telefunken M260, Schoeps CMC64 and Neumann KM184. Although I certainly prefer most of those mics over the 3 Zigmas, they nevertheless can stand their own among the "uber" mics.
interesting
Thanks.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD