The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-01-2019, 11:02 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Default Guitars in stock - September 2019

Sponsors (luthiers/builders/manufacturers), what guitars do you currently have in stock for sale or available from a dealer?

(Note: Sponsors only, please. I'll unstick this thread every month and start a new one to keep things fresh.)

JR
Old 09-01-2019, 04:12 PM

Forum buds,

This is a guitar I built in late 2017 early 2018 for the La Conner guitar show, it made an appearance at the Vancouver International guitar festival, toured Europe with the Boutique Guitar Showcase, and spent four bustling days at winter NAMM. It’s been around, but shows little to no signs of wear.

I’m in the process of re-voicing this guitar, as I’ve learned a few things since this one was built! [emoji4]

Lapacho back and sides, a.k.a IPE. This particular set is one of about a dozen that I have. It was harvested from an area flooded during the making of the Panama Canal, as a result of its time under water has taken on very interesting mineral deposits. This wood has a very glassy tap tone, and is harder than ebony.

Soundboard is Master Grade Lutz Spruce. Lutz is a natural hybrid of Sitka and Engelmann that occurs in certain areas of the Pacific Northwest. Beautiful stuff.

The neck is African Mahogany that I’ve Ebonized through the introduction of iron acetate which I pulled from rusted iron.

The bridge is ebony.

The fingerboard and head veneer are made with lapacho that perfectly match the sides and back.

Interior of the guitar is Ebonized.

Oiled neck
U.v polyester gloss on body

Waverly tuners
Cow-bone nut and saddle

1.75” at nut
2.25” at saddle
25.4” scale
14 frets to the body

My guitars come with visesnut cases standard, though this one comes with a Hiscox case to make it more affordable.

$5500

The Ebonized interior.

Ebonized neck meets lapacho body.

Lapacho back in my sunny shop window

Open pored, Ebonized, oiled neck. Very fast and looks great next to those Waverly tuners.

Lutz soundboard, ebony binding, Lapacho sides and soundport.

Full back view.

Full front view.

Thanks for taking a look!

Last edited by Dion James; 09-01-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:54 AM
Charter Member

Dion, what a great looking guitar!

What exactly is "ebonizing"?

Col
Old 09-02-2019, 08:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Kraus Guitars OOOO at Gruhn guitars

$3295

A Kraus Guitars OOOO for sale at Gruhn Guitars Nashville.
Sitka spruce top.
Honduran mahogany back and sides.
Kingwood bindings.

https://guitars.com/inventory/am8302...leport-ny-0000

Call Gruhns for an in hand description;

1-615-256-2033

Last edited by Bill Kraus; 09-03-2019 at 07:04 PM. Reason: bad link
Old 09-02-2019, 09:04 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Kraus Guitars koa OM

Kraus Guitars koa OM for sale at Bernunzio's Uptown Music in Rochester NY.
$3995
Sitka spruce top.
Koa back and sides.
Indian rosewood bindings and trim.

https://bernunzio.com/product/kraus-om-k-24407/

Call Bernunzio's for an in hand description;

1-585-473-6140

Old 09-02-2019, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colins View Post
Dion, what a great looking guitar!

What exactly is "ebonizing"?

Col

Thanks Col!

Ebonizing, in this case is turning the wood black through chemical reaction. Most wood staining is done through the introduction of colour which stains the wood. I soak rusted iron (old plough pieces and horse harnesses I’ve collected from my family farm over the years) in vinegar. I then strain the solution to remove the solids, and wipe it on to the wood where the Iron Acetate reacts with the naturally occurring Tannins in the wood. Mahogany, the wood used for this guitar neck, doesn’t have a high level of tannins so I’ve introduced those as well. It’s a very neat process in that the colour blooms as the reaction takes place.

Dion
Old 09-08-2019, 01:09 PM

Rosewood and Italian Spruce

This one has landed at Guitar Gallery Nashville giving folks the chance to here it. I’m extremely pleased with how this guitar sounds, voluminous, sweet, and dynamic. If you’re in Nashville stop by and give it a try yourself. For everyone else take a listen on the Guitar Gallery site. The audio files are higher quality than the video, be sure to listen on good speakers or headphones to get an accurate example of this instruments sonic potential.

https://www.guitargal.com/products/d...d91ab252&_ss=r

Last edited by Dion James; 09-15-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion James View Post

Great sounding guitar! I also really like the simple, elegant lines of this instrument.
Old 09-08-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Great sounding guitar! I also really like the simple, elegant lines of this instrument.
Hey Trevor, Thanks for taking the time to listen, and thanks for the kind words!
Old 09-08-2019, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion James View Post
Hey Trevor, Thanks for taking the time to listen, and thanks for the kind words!
You're more than welcome, James! If people on here on the AGF take your advice and listen to the Guitar Gallery audio files of this instrument through decent headphones or a good pair of speakers they'll quickly come to appreciate that the Dion No.4 (Italian Spruce/Rosewood) is a truly stellar guitar. You've successfully drawn the best qualities from the Italian spruce (balance, range and note separation) and perfectly married them to the rich resonance of the Rosewood. I listened to each clip several times through a pair of Adam 7s. My conclusion in a word: Bravo!!!
Old 09-09-2019, 11:46 AM

[emoji4] thanks for all the kind words! I do hope the forum folks take your advice and give #30 a listen!!
Old 09-09-2019, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
You're more than welcome, James! If people on here on the AGF take your advice and listen to the Guitar Gallery audio files of this instrument through decent headphones or a good pair of speakers they'll quickly come to appreciate that the Dion No.4 (Italian Spruce/Rosewood) is a truly stellar guitar. You've successfully drawn the best qualities from the Italian spruce (balance, range and note separation) and perfectly married them to the rich resonance of the Rosewood. I listened to each clip several times through a pair of Adam 7s. My conclusion in a word: Bravo!!!

[emoji4] thanks for all the kind words! I do hope the forum folks take your advice and give #30 a listen!!
Old 09-13-2019, 09:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

I currently have this Bearclaw European Spruce over Curly European Maple OM-C available that I have built for the Guitar Summit in 2018 as well as for graduating from my luthier studies. After those events the guitar was selected for the European tour of the Boutique Guitar Showcase. Now it is ready to leave my shop as a slightly used instrument!

Here are some specs:

Back/Sides: Curly European Maple
Top: Bearclaw European Spruce
Rosette: Dyed Ash Burl and Horn with Gold Leaf
Neck: Honduran Mahogany
Binding: Wenge
Fretboard: Ebony
Bridge: Wenge with Bone Bridge Pins
Top Braces: Swiss Moon Spruce
Back braces: Mahogany
Blocks: Mahogany
Bridgeplate: Wenge
Nut width: 1.77“
String spacing at bridge: 2.28“
Fretboard radius: 20“
Scale length: 25“
Tuners: Alessi with Horn Buttons
Case: Hiscox Pro II

Besides the cutaway it also features a Manzer Wedge, custom headplate, custom end graft and a custom backstrip. The neck profile is my new standard asymmetrical one with a C-shape on the treble and a D-shape on the bass side.

Due to some minor playing marks it is now available at a 10% discount for 6.030€ (shipping not included)

Old 09-23-2019, 10:50 AM
AGF Sponsor

Default Fay Guitars -- Sinker Redwood / Walnut

Model One -- $9,950
It's been a while since I've had a guitar available. Here's one I recently made for a dealer. It's a Sinker Redwood / Claro Walnut guitar with a really beautiful Sabah Ebony fretboard that ties everything together in a subtle fashion. It's at the Cedar Rock Studio - a recording studio that has also just begun offering high-end guitars. If interested, contact me and I'll put you in contact with Alan, the studio owner. They are due to unveil their new website sometime this month. Here's a couple videos and a few photos as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBDrUsNxpxE&app=desktop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVCww6ZgoMo&app=desktop

Old 09-26-2019, 10:33 AM

Default GM-50 Curled Hawaiian Koa Soundwedge

5599.00CAD

This guitar the result of David pushing his skills and designs as far as he can. Taking a jumbo guitar and expanding the bass rather than tightening the treble to create a wedge across the width of guitar. This one has an excellent balance of bass, mid, and treble response. The sliding door soundport opens up to really warm up the bass response, this guitar sounds really sweet. The top is rolled over in a deep bend to make this easy and comfortable to play.

At only 4lbs 8oz, it surprised a lot of people when they pick it up. It's really light. The top is Sitka Spruce with Bearclaw figure, the Back and Sides are curly Koa. American Black Walnut neck with Zircote fingerboard and bridge.

Available here

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop