The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 PM

Default Blue Yeti?

I've just started to do some home recording and have been using a couple of borrowed microphones from church, a Behringer Ultravoice and a Behringer Super Cardioid XM 1800s.

My DAW is Reaper and I run it on my Macbook.

I know diddly squat about microphones except that it's important to have a good one.

There's an ad on Craigslist for a Blue Yeti USB Microphone for $50 (The USB cable is missing).

Is it worth the time, effort and $50 compared to what I have?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-06-2014, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Blue Yeti?

I had one a short time and it is a good mic for the price though YMMV. I was using it with my iPad but found it so huge and heavy that I ended up selling it. Lots of folks really like it though.
Old 06-06-2014, 03:03 PM

How are you plugging the berhinger mic into your computer? I think that would direct me. I bought a usb mic but ended up getting an audio interface that let's me use real mics. I bought my interface for about the price of that yeti and you can still use your existing mics. If you decide, you can them borrow / upgrade to new mics. I ended up paying for both a usb mic and an interface, unfortunately.

Just my thoughts...
Old 06-06-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
How are you plugging the berhinger mic into your computer? I think that would direct me. I bought a usb mic but ended up getting an audio interface that let's me use real mics. I bought my interface for about the price of that yeti and you can still use your existing mics. If you decide, you can them borrow / upgrade to new mics. I ended up paying for both a usb mic and an interface, unfortunately.

Just my thoughts...
I'm using a M-track audio interface by M-Audio and it works fine.

Do you have any sense of whether or not the Yeti will be an improvement over the microphones that I'm currently using?
Old 06-06-2014, 03:44 PM

Since you have an interface, if I were you, I wouldn't spend the money on the yeti. For me, there is FAR more difference to be made by talent, mic placement, and room acoustics. If you get all those in line, good mics would start to make a difference. I don't have enough talent, room acoustics or mic placement yet.

Since you say you are a beginner at home recording (as am I), I would make some recordings with what you have, post them here and you will get tons of tips and feedback. I bet none of the suggestions are to get a new mic.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJoker View Post
Since you have an interface, if I were you, I wouldn't spend the money on the yeti. For me, there is FAR more difference to be made by talent, mic placement, and room acoustics. If you get all those in line, good mics would start to make a difference. I don't have enough talent, room acoustics or mic placement yet.

Since you say you are a beginner at home recording (as am I), I would make some recordings with what you have, post them here and you will get tons of tips and feedback. I bet none of the suggestions are to get a new mic.
Thanks! Sounds like like "sound" advice to me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD