The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-02-2021, 03:27 PM
Charter Member

Default NGD Eastman

My Eastman E6OM arrived this afternoon. Took it out of the box and it looked beautiful. The mahogany could have been a little darker but I won't get picky. I only played with it for about a half hour and have to say that initially I'm a little underwhelmed. I'm sure part of it is that this is the first time I've even touched an acoustic in years and everything seems awkward to me because I'm so used to my telecasters. Still, I thought it would be louder and it sounds pretty stiff and boxy on D, A, and E strings. It's going to take some time to get used to the neck and the heavier strings. I need to give it a bit more time but that's first take!
Old 04-02-2021, 05:32 PM

Sounds like you're not too happy with it. Maybe the best thing would be to cut your losses (on shipping) and send it back. For me, a new guitar should please me well straight away, not at some projected time in the future.
Old 04-02-2021, 05:51 PM
Musical minimalist

It doesn't even realize it's a guitar yet - give it some time, especially after shipping. The strings have to stretch in and be played some before they even sound their best.

I bet after a week of steady play, you're opinion will change a bit.

Old 04-02-2021, 06:16 PM
Charter Member

@ewalling that was my initial reaction and like @fitness1 suggests maybe a few days. I've got 7 days. Probably won't take that long to make up my mind but will give it a few days. I was really looking forward to this and immediately deflated.
Old 04-02-2021, 06:30 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vashondan2018 View Post
@ewalling that was my initial reaction and like @fitness1 suggests maybe a few days. I've got 7 days. Probably won't take that long to make up my mind but will give it a few days. I was really looking forward to this and immediately deflated.
Also, are you sure the strings are new or was this one hanging on the wall somewhere for a while?

Old 04-02-2021, 06:39 PM

Mine sounds best with GHS or Martin Authentics, both phosphor bronze. I’m going to try Santa Cruz lows this weekend
Old 04-02-2021, 06:54 PM
Charter Member

Play it for a few days and let it acclimate to it's new environment. Might require a good setup to get the optimum tone. Never hurts to get a new (or new to you?) guitar dialed in to your requirements.
Best of luck and if I didn't say so earlier...welcome to the forum!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 04-02-2021, 06:56 PM

Quote:
My feelings are a little different from those of Fitness1 above; I tend to know almost immediately if a guitar's overall tone and feel is right for me. But who knows - maybe it will sound different to you tomorrow and with a change of strings, ones more likely to bring out the kind of sound you're looking for.

However, I think sometimes the danger in getting a guitar online is that the sheer hassle of packing it back up and spending over a 100 bucks on return shipping can incline us to kid ourselves that 'maybe I do like it, after all.' I've certainly done that a few times, and the cost of selling a guitar used further down the line is a much bigger hit than the 100 bucks in return shipping.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:01 PM

It’s not official until we see some pictures.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:11 PM
Charter Member

How do I post pics from my desktop? FYI it came with D'Addario .012 -.053 EXP16"s. What do you guys use? Do you use 12's?

Last edited by vashondan2018; 04-02-2021 at 07:15 PM. Reason: Forgot
Old 04-02-2021, 07:37 PM

Congrats on the new arrival. I would say give it a few days and at least a couple of different string sets. I haven't had any arrive recently that met my expectations with the as delivered strings. I am much more likely to let one stay around and work on adjusting to the tone as long as there are no obvious problems. On the other hand, if it doesn't feel right in my hands and/or I don't want to pick it up and play after a couple of days, I will move it or return pretty quickly. Good luck getting it sorted.

Best,

Mac
Old 04-02-2021, 07:40 PM

Yeah those are my favorite strings.
Old 04-02-2021, 07:58 PM

Quote:
How do I post pics from my desktop? FYI it came with D'Addario .012 -.053 EXP16"s. What do you guys use? Do you use 12's?
You have to be a charter member to post photos. But it helps support the forum.
Old 04-02-2021, 08:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Unless you are a charter member, you have to host them on another site and then link to them.

Or else you can post through the Tapatalk app. I don't love the app, but I do find it the easiest way to post pics.

Bourgeois DR-A / Bowerman "Working Man's" OM / Martin Custom D-18 (adi & flame) / Martin OM-21 / Northwood M70 MJ / 1970s Sigma DR-7 / Eastman E6D / Flatiron Signature A5 / Silverangel Econo A
(Call me Dan)
Old 04-02-2021, 08:35 PM

Like someone else said you have to give the guitar a little while to break in from the shipping. The strings that are on it is the first thing you need to change. They are coated strings and I dont care what any one says on here, they suck. Put a set of Martin 80/20 bronze or Daddario EJ16 P bronze on it. Then play the crap out of it for the next 3 to 4 days. Then let us know if you have changed your mind. When I got my E8om-tc a few weeks ago it was still pretty cold where I live and when I first started playing it I thought it sounded a little stiff. I changed the strings right away and noticed the difference right away. Then I played it every day for at least an hour. Did a lot of strumming stuff just to get the top moving a lot. About the third day I couldnt believe how much the sound had changed. I'm not saying this will happen for you, but what do you have to lose. You have 7 days before you need to ship it back. I wouldnt get a set up on it unless you plan to keep it. But just remember if you do get a set up on it, it will play even better. Just give it a couple days at least. If you are still not happy with it,send it back.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion