The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-16-2015, 06:20 PM

Default I will not let Bm defeat me

About a year ago I was trying to force myself to learn how to play a Bm chord cleanly. For a while I thought I had it licked and then I started having difficulty playing it cleanly again. So instead of being persistent I either started to avoid songs that had a Bm in them or changing the key so I wouldn't have to play a Bm.

This week I rediscovered a song that I have always liked, "Girl From the North Country". It is a simple song with only three chords, and one of those chords happens to be Bm! So I just sat down and played those three chords over and over and over again. I did not sing the lyrics, I just played G Bm C, G Bm C, etc, until the transition from G to Bm sounded good. And then I played it some more. After that I played G Bm C over and over again. Next I started playing "I Shall Be Released" which has the chords A Bm C#m (which is the same as a Bm except it is on the 4th fret) and E7. I played that over and over and over again.

I am feeling really good about the way it is going.

Tomorrow I will do all of that again.

I will not be defeated.

Kate Wolf

Epiphone Hummingbird Studio
Martin 000-10e
Old 09-16-2015, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

I don't think simply playing the chord over and over again is the answer.

Make sure the guitar setup is decent, especially at the nut - compare fretting with a capo on the first fret to no capo.

Study your technique carefully - where you are pressing and how hard.
There have been plenty of prior threads on playing barre chords (Bm and others).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-16-2015, 06:33 PM

Learning a little Bm myself with Proud Mary. I just think of it as an F dropped down one string and down one fret.

How are you doing with F chords?
2006 Yamaha F200TXR 4 stroke. My Guitars - Yamaha FG700S Sandburst; Epiphone Les Paul Standard; 2018 Yamaha LL-16D Natural; Ibanez Talman Bass; Fender Standard Telecaster; Yamaha FG820-12 Natural; Yamaha FS830 Tobacco Brown Sunburst; ....A beginner practicing almost everyday since 12/15/14....{:::]==={=O=I}
Old 09-16-2015, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
I couldn't agree more. The way to go is to use the chord in the context of a song or songs, and this seems to be what he is doing. And it's working too. Good news.
Old 09-16-2015, 06:37 PM

I've never let a bowel movement defeat me, either. Keep up the good work!
Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 PM

Quote:

Make sure the guitar setup is decent, especially at the nut - compare fretting with a capo on the first fret to no capo.

Study your technique carefully - where you are pressing and how hard.
There have been plenty of prior threads on playing barre chords (Bm and others).
I think that was my problem originally, I was practising the Bm by going from no chord to the Bm chord. Now I am practising within the context of a song, changing chords from G to Bm to C and back to G, or from A to Bm to C#m to E7.

My guitar was expertly set up by an excellent tech, from the nut to the saddle. I am also working on not playing with a death grip on the neck when I form my barre chords. I am trying to use a light touch, with enough pressure to not buzz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by polarred21 View Post
Learning a little Bm myself with Proud Mary. I just think of it as an F dropped down one string and down one fret.

How are you doing with F chords?
I don't have a problem with a barre F chord or F#m. It was exactly the dropping down one string that I was having a problem with. It made my fingers feel cramped on the fretboard.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e
Old 09-16-2015, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

Default I will not let Bm defeat me

In no time it'll be (like my uncle used to say) "easy like drinking water"
Old 09-16-2015, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Hi M-h…

You might also want to learn it as an inside chord (only playing the inside 4 strings while eliminating strings 1 & 6). It's a very balanced sounding chord, and allows quick and clean entry and departure from the Bm.

No need to barre at all, just play the Am chord shape on frets 3-4 and drop the first finger on the 5th string second fret. In fact that chord form will go all up and down the neck serving as a minor chord, just like the barre. It's name comes from the note being played on the 5th string.

And if you are finger picking, the alternate bass is in the same fret as the root on the 5th string only on the 6th string.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
..... It was exactly the dropping down one string that I was having a problem with. It made my fingers feel cramped on the fretboard.
It's odd that Bm would be causing you such a problem, there are arguably more demanding barre chords, but I believe you. I'm suspecting that your thumb position at the back of the neck might be the culprit. The thumb's placement is crucial in creating ample space in your hand to free up the fretting fingers. Do you have a pic maybe of how you're playing that Bm?
If you play the chord over and over in practice, it's especially important that your fretting technique is correct, otherwise you might just be re-enforcing a bad habit. (Not saying that you are, just trying to help!)
Another thing I would suggest in your practice is to play a regular Am chord without the index finger, i.e mimicing the Bm position. That will help in getting fingers 3, 4 and 5 accustomed to all those barred Am chord shapes.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 09-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi M-h…

You might also want to learn it as an inside chord (only playing the inside 4 strings while eliminating strings 1 & 6). It's a very balanced sounding chord, and allows quick and clean entry and departure from the Bm.

No need to barre at all, just play the Am chord shape on frets 3-4 and drop the first finger on the 5th string second fret. In fact that chord form will go all up and down the neck serving as a minor chord, just like the barre. It's name comes from the note being played on the 5th string.

And if you are finger picking, the alternate bass is in the same fret as the root on the 5th string only on the 6th string.

This is what I did/do. Good idea! First, it lets you play all songs that have minor chords like that. Second, fretting the four strings with four fingers gives better tone and control, and more easily lends itself to lifting one of the strings or hammering on with it, etc. Finally, it may delay for a long time, until your ability improves, the need to play barre Bms that stress you out, and then it is easier to add the barre (or even just barre the 1st & 2nd string) once it is second nature to play the four-finger Bm.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 09-16-2015, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
It's odd that Bm would be causing you such a problem, there are arguably more demanding barre chords, but I believe you. I'm suspecting that your thumb position at the back of the neck might be the culprit. The thumb's placement is crucial in creating ample space in your hand to free up the fretting fingers. Do you have a pic maybe of how you're playing that Bm?
If you play the chord over and over in practice, it's especially important that your fretting technique is correct, otherwise you might just be re-enforcing a bad habit. (Not saying that you are, just trying to help!)
Another thing I would suggest in your practice is to play a regular Am chord without the index finger, i.e mimicing the Bm position. That will help in getting fingers 3, 4 and 5 accustomed to all those barred Am chord shapes.
I understand what you are saying. some people have great difficulty with the A chord and I don't understand why. To me it is one of the easiest chords to play. I will try and take a picture of my Bm chord so you can evaluate it. I will also try what you suggest about the Am chord without the index finger. I assume you mean playing the chord with the second, ring and pinky fingers.

Now I don't even want to talk about the Bb chord. I am no where near being able to play that one at all.

Kate Wolf

Martin 000-10e
Old 09-16-2015, 11:13 PM
Charter Member

The minor chord barre is one of the easier barre chords (easier than the minor seventh or major seventh barres for example where you have to control the third string with your index finger). You really only need index finger pressure on the 1st, 5th, and 6th strings (and you may often leave out the 6th string as it is not fretting the root note). Practice it with that in mind. Also if a first fret capo makes the barre easier on the third fret (Cm chord) then have the nut slots lowered.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 09-17-2015, 01:37 AM

If you find yourself in a bind... XX0432 is XXDBDF# and XXX432 is XXXBDF#

Having said that, keep on working at it. One day it will be easy.
Old 09-17-2015, 01:53 AM

Quote:
The minor chord barre is one of the easier barre chords (easier than the minor seventh or major seventh barres for example where you have to control the third string with your index finger). You really only need index finger pressure on the 1st, 5th, and 6th strings (and you may often leave out the 6th string as it is not fretting the root note). Practice it with that in mind. Also if a first fret capo makes the barre easier on the third fret (Cm chord) then have the nut slots lowered.
Well, the tricky part for me on Bm is getting the B on the 5th string cleanly (the bass note). It just so happens to catch my index finger at a joint and a place where I can't get much downward pressure. It's clean 75% of the time and always at least "there," (so a strummed chord is no problem) but if I really love and need that note, I just fret it directly with the index tip.

(Now it's like a kid who seems all healthy when you finally get him to the doctor--at least on my parlor I can barre it every time tonight)

Still, with the 4-finger Bm I can hammer onto that B on the 5th fret or pull off from the D on the 2nd fret to get that other B and can use the index over on the 1st fret to play with E-F#-G much better. So anyway, this workaround has some nice benefits.
1976 Ovation 1613-4 nylon--spruce top
1963 Guild Mark II nylon--spruce top
Old 09-17-2015, 05:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffinhead View Post
I understand what you are saying. some people have great difficulty with the A chord and I don't understand why. To me it is one of the easiest chords to play. I will try and take a picture of my Bm chord so you can evaluate it. I will also try what you suggest about the Am chord without the index finger. I assume you mean playing the chord with the second, ring and pinky fingers.
Sounds good. A picture can help a lot. Yes that's what I meant about the fingers. Using the second ring and pinky for practice, instead of the traditional form. Practice chord changes that way too, e.g. G to Am, and not necessarily just barres. Also, slide up from Am to Bm, or Cm, or Dm etc...using the index only to barre.
Now I don't even want to talk about the Bb chord. I am no where near being able to play that one at all.One thing at a time As Rick says, the minor shapes are (should be) relatively easy on the fingers. Progress can seem slow, but if you practice right, it will come in the proper way and impact the rest of your playing in positive fashion.
Good luck with this. You seem to have the right temperament for guitar playing so I have a feeling you will soon be making good progress.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write