The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 02-07-2012, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
why is classical position not recommended?
Because the guitar is (apparently) too big.
Classical position is good (a) for classical guitar (duh), and (b) if the guitar body is no bigger (wider or deeper) than a standard classical design.
She doesn't say, but I'm assuming this is a full-size steel-string body (it may not be). IMO, that's too awkward when played classical style on left leg (and I'm an average-sized male adult) - but YMMV.
The usual right-leg position should be fine as long as the left hand/wrist/arm angle is OK - there's no reason why that angle shouldn't be identical to the way it is in classical position.
Old 02-08-2012, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

FWIW....Women have a different "anatomy" if you will and a guitars depth and overall size can make a difference for some women. Nothing is 100%, but in talking with some female guitarists who are more fully endowed, I can appreciate how a guitar's size might make a difference, particularly when sitting.

Obviously, this comment has nothing to do with hand size
Old 02-08-2012, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kh1967 View Post
FWIW....Women have a different "anatomy" if you will and a guitars depth and overall size can make a difference for some women. Nothing is 100%, but in talking with some female guitarists who are more fully endowed, I can appreciate how a guitar's size might make a difference, particularly when sitting.

Obviously, this comment has nothing to do with hand size
Well said and true. I have read some men complain that their beer bellies get in the way of comfortable guitar playing. So we each have our challenges!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:42 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
why is classical position not recommended?
Hi mc1...
Because a typical classical guitar is 2-3'' shorter and an inch or two narrower than a 14 fret steel string. When you place it left knee it tends to shove the left shoulder further left which not only potentially stresses the left shoulder, it also causes fingerings to be more difficult (trying to reach around the underside of the guitar).

If one elevates the neck extremely to pull the headstock back in toward the body, it puts the instrument at a non-ergonomic angle for both right and left hands. Classical players lay all their fingers parallel to the strings, and turn/slant/twist the wrist to accomplish this. Steel string players tend to lay our fingers at a 45° angle across the strings.

A right knee, elevated neck approach (for steel string) puts the hand/arm at a more ergonomically neutral position.

6 string steel string right hand angle…

6 string classical right hand angle…

Hope this contributes to the thread…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

Last edited by ljguitar; 02-09-2012 at 07:50 AM. Reason: changed a picture and added labels
Old 02-09-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hope this contributes to the thread…
Well, it sure helped me figure out some things! Thanks.

Kolaya Carmen, Trek parlor (by Harv L), Martin 000-28EC, Taylor GC-5 and 355.
Old 02-09-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi mc1...
Because a typical classical guitar is 2-3'' shorter and an inch or two narrower than a 14 fret steel string. When you place it left knee it tends to shove the left shoulder further left which not only potentially stresses the left shoulder, it also causes fingerings to be more difficult (trying to reach around the underside of the guitar).
that makes sense. i play both classicals and steel strings on both legs, although i haven't gotten a classical out for quite some time. i have a jumbo that is too uncomfortable for my picking shoulder to play on my right leg for any length of time, so i play it classical style. this helps with the right arm but yes the neck is a little bit out there for my fretting hand. however, if i use one of my devices (similar to a neck-up, but another brand), to reorient it on my right leg, similar to some of your other pictures, the neck is in a better position for fretting, but my picking arm still isn't so comfortable, and it puts my picking hand a little too far toward the neck.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:39 PM

I play dreadnaught, OM, and electric, all standing, but when sitting I play all on my left leg, classical style, because I'm up the neck more often than not.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM

What is the scale length of your guitar? "Standard" is 650mm, but there are many other options out there depending on the manufacturer and model. If you are playing classical guitar, Kenny Hill makes them as small as 615mm I believe (which was "standard" during the 19th century). The modern 650mm scale is relatively new as it was designed to create more power in concert halls. That can also be debated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write