The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 06-18-2019, 12:51 PM

Default AGF Civility

I just want to say that coming here for information and opinions is a real pleasure. Thanks to all of the members and administrators for keeping this place as pleasant as it is. I won’t name the other forum that drove me to write this, but I quit going there a few months ago because the level of civility in their discussions is almost nonexistent. I went back today hoping it might have somehow changed. Not. Someone asked about opinions on a guitar that a major star is playing in a recent video and within 5 posts that star’s political views became the issue and insults began flying. Exactly why I quit going there. Keep up the good work here folks!!
Old 06-18-2019, 01:09 PM

That's good to hear.
Most of the members who are very active on here have already figured out where each other as individuals are coming from with regard to life in general. It works it's way through at some point. Even if we don't know, we place the enjoyment of guitars, music and all that is related as the reason to come here. As long as that is, then this will be what it is.
The mods do a great job maintaining order under the rules. It isn't perfect, but it's very good. Kudos to them!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2019, 01:17 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That's good to hear.
Most of the members who are very active on here have already figured out where each other as individuals are coming from with regard to life in general. It works it's way through at some point. Even if we don't know, we place the enjoyment of guitars, music and all that is related as the reason to come here. As long as that is, then this will be what it is.
The mods do a great job maintaining order under the rules. It isn't perfect, but it's very good. Kudos to them!
what rokdog49 said.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

I've always been impressed as well, even if there is a sour grape in a thread most folks know "don't feed the trolls" and so on. Many come here for info from experienced members and sometimes just good storytelling and I couldn't imagine my day without having a scroll or two through some AGF threads.

Thanks MODs for all you do!

-Award-winning songwriter/guitarist, Visual storyteller
-D’Addario, G7th and K&K Sound Artist
-Music on Spotify, Apple Music and YouTube: www.youtube.com/dustinfurlow
-New album "Serene" (Oct '23) and tablature
available at www.dustinfurlow.com
Old 06-18-2019, 02:15 PM

I quit playing guitar years ago, but I still come here because I simply like it, and I enjoy the folks on this forum.
Old 06-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
I quit playing guitar years ago, but I still come here because I simply like it, and I enjoy the folks on this forum.
Now that's a compliment. Way to go!
Old 06-18-2019, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Now that's a compliment. Way to go!
Indeed it is. Wonder how many others here don't play.
Old 06-18-2019, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

Perchman, good to read your comments. I can also say that I've left a number of forums after being disappointed. This one, however, really is a pleasure. Occasionally, we mods have to act on somebody who can't follow our rules, but 99% of our membership is perfectly willing to comply. We do have more rules than many forums, but that's what helps us maintain a little more civility.

In addition to the courtesy, it's remarkable how many friendships can be formed on a forum like this. I consider myself very lucky to have formed so many of them during my decade here. My hat's off to all our membership.

PPG... we're delighted to have you... any way we can get you! Lol...
Old 06-18-2019, 05:33 PM
Get off my lawn kid

It's good to read the threads here, even do searches on info you want from older threads, as you never know what you might learn.

Some of us old guys can get a little grumpy from time from time, but I'm taking my meds now,

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
It's good to read the threads here, even do searches on info you want from older threads, as you never know what you might learn.

Some of us old guys can get a little grumpy from time from time, but I'm taking my meds now,
That's true, we can get grumpy and too set in our ways.The good news is most of us are mature enough to realize there's still more to learn and sometimes we need to lighten up a bit, take deep breath and start over. That's coming straight from an occasionally guilty party.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 06-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
That's true, we can get grumpy and too set in our ways.The good news is most of us are mature enough to realize there's still more to learn and sometimes we need to lighten up a bit, take deep breath and start over. That's coming straight from an occasionally guilty party.
You and me both. Life is too short.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 06-18-2019, 08:59 PM
Guest 728

This forum does a GREAT job of enforcing Rule #1: "Be nice."

I have personally been edited, corrected, and gently admonished by the mods on the occasions that I've strayed, and I really do appreciate their diligence in keeping us knuckleheads in line. They truly make it a better experience for everyone.
Old 06-18-2019, 09:57 PM
Charter Member

Location: alpha quadrant of the Milky Way galaxy, planet Earth, upstate NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Yes indeed!
When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down, “happy.” They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life. —John Lennon
Old 06-18-2019, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Voltaire View Post
Indeed. And where some users slip through the cracks, you can always add a particular name to your "ignore list" using the User CP menu (blue bar, left hand side). Then their text does not even appear on your screen, if you are logged in.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:06 AM
Charter Member

For the record, if anyone thinks an inappropriate user has slipped through the cracks, please contact us. We're all linked in red at the bottom right of the General Discussion page. And if anyone thinks that a particular post is in violation of the rules, please report it to us by clicking the little red triangle at the top right of every post.

There are only seven of us to monitor thousands of users and posts, so your help is always appreciated. And if I can ever do anything for you, contact me anytime.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic