The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-17-2010, 01:15 PM

Default Strumming Patterns

HI everyone
I am new to the guitar and I am learning how to read tab and chords. I have a question about strumming. How do you know what strumming pattern to use when you get a set of chords or tab for a song? I have looked up several different songs I want to learn and none of them tell me what type of strumming pattern to use.
Thanks Sarah
Old 08-17-2010, 01:22 PM
Charter Member

I've don't recall ever seen strumming patterns on chords for songs. I simply listen and mimic.
Old 08-17-2010, 03:37 PM

Try here: http://strumpatterns.com/

Will
Old 08-17-2010, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah388 View Post
HI everyone
I am new to the guitar and I am learning how to read tab and chords. I have a question about strumming. How do you know what strumming pattern to use when you get a set of chords or tab for a song? I have looked up several different songs I want to learn and none of them tell me what type of strumming pattern to use.
Thanks Sarah
Hi Sarah. Which songs are you looking at? If you give me the names, I'll try to give you an idea of how to strum them.

One piece of advice I can give you is:

Try to strum only with constant down strokes when learning a song for the first time. Upstrokes are used to fill in the gaps. Down strokes are the key.

Eventually, as you progress into a better player, you can add in some up strokes and leave out the occasional down stroke (whilst keeping your right hand going in constant down/up motion to keep the groove going)

This sounds complicated, but it should come naturally eventually. Try to listen and watch players strumming (beware of bad players on Youtube)

Cheers.

Jack
Old 08-18-2010, 08:38 AM

I had the same problem when I started last year (and still do on many songs) of trying to figure out the strum patterns. I got sick and tired of the "listen to the song and you'll figure it out" advice. Easy to say for someone that's been playing for years and years but for beginners it's not a fun thing to hear.

I would head over to justinguitar and see if you can find a song that he has a vid for that floats your boat. Knocking on heaven's door is pretty easy to play and I picked it up within a minute or two of watching his video.

One thing I will say is that they longer you keep playing, the easier it gets to figure out patterns. Just remember that on any up strokes that you do, you only want to hit the first 3-4 strings. Though that is pretty basic, it took me a little while to figure that one out and things sound a lot better when you do it that way.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:37 AM

Default Create your own identity

Hello
Strumming patterns are very versatile and at discretion of player. The only rule is meter must be maintained. Hope this helps but if not go to my website below for free books on that subject and more
Picker304
Old 08-19-2010, 02:42 AM

I to was always looking for the strumming patterns when starting to play songs, and it doers help when they are given, however the first time I strummed the song Mother by pink floyd I was blown away that I could make up my own pattern to fit as I knew the song so well it was in my head, and out it came....something else someone said about downstrokes is right on, good way to learn and add up strokes later. on you tube the lessons I always use are from a Marty Schwartz, known as the best teacher on YT, by many many comments and he usually gives you the pattern. Definately check him out, ok! and appartly nthere isn't an actual strumming pattern for Mother anyway so had no choice, and it still sounds like it....

Good luck

Daza.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:21 PM

Default Teardrops on my guitar - taylor swift

Ok the song I am trying to learn is teardrops on my guitar by taylor swift. I have found a strumming pattern of DDUDU but I can't seem to figure it out with the song. I can play all the chords and the pattern but it doesn't fit with the words of the song. Is it possible for the pattern to be split btwn 2 or more chords? I found several videos on YT and they sound great when the person is playing them but when I try it and sing along it doesn't fit??? HELP!!!!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:
DDUDU

OOps the pattern is DDUUDU sorry
Old 08-19-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
OOps the pattern is DDUUDU sorry
O and I forgot.. I am used to playing instruments like the piano and trumpet which has music with note values this might be confusing me???
Old 08-20-2010, 02:30 AM
happiness

Yes, the pattern can be split between 2 or more chords. Basically, the pattern represents one bar.

So for example if, within that bar, you have a C chord followed by a G chord, if you stick strictly to the pattern you would play DDU on the C chord, and UDU on the G chord. And that might fit well with the song. But if that doesn't seem to fit, or if you just want to add a little variety, you could vary it by strumming DDU on both chords (so just for that bar your pattern would be DDUDDU) then reverting back to DDUUDU on the next bar when you have a full bar of a single chord.

Does that make sense?

Fliss
Old 08-20-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
O and I forgot.. I am used to playing instruments like the piano and trumpet which has music with note values this might be confusing me???
I think it wasn't a very good song to learn anyway, but hey I'm a man so what do ya expect I checked out a lesson and then the official video on YT and she Taylor, doesn't even play her guitar she lays there on top of her bed just holding it maybe start off with some simpler tunes to play first, sometimes I have to remind myself that maybe the song I'm trying to learn is still too advanced for me???
Old 08-24-2010, 04:08 AM

The FIRST thing you need to figure out is whether its 8th note strumming or 16th note strumming.

e.g Morning Glory (oasis) 8th note
Better Be home soon (crowded house) 16th

Once you've got that sorted, then break it down by each bar and you will find its gets easier. Make sure you have the foot tapping so you feel the beat.
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write