The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-23-2021, 07:31 AM

Here is some info about Plectrum strings which may help clarify which round wound, flat wound and plain strings are in the various string sets.
I wish TI offered a Plectrum string set that didn't have any round wound strings in it.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 01-23-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 01-23-2021, 11:25 AM

I have Thomastik-Infeld Plectrum's on both of my Collings Baby's, and love them; easy to play, and great sounding.
m
2019 Collings Baby 2he
Prior: Too many to list
Old 01-23-2021, 02:23 PM

Thanks for that chart '121'. They also have a good website with interesting info, especially their FAQs. I had no idea that John Pearse strings (folk) were a TI product. Or that strings that promote overtones feel harder.

They also point out that string tension is not a function of diameter, but density. An important point since they make strings out of aluminum (1/3rd the density of steel), steel, rope, silver, nylon, and chromium/steel.

The number of flatwounds in their sets depend on the tension. Here is how many flatwound strings in each Plectrum set:

extra-light: 3 (D, A, G)
light: 3 (D, A, G)
Medium-light: 1 (G)
Medium: 0

I might try the light but I typically prefer medium tension, and their medium set doesn't have any flatwound. Also, their 'Light' set has a total tension of only 125 lbs, which is really low, 10 lbs lower than D'addario's Extra-light EJ-15s. FYI
Rogue Resonator (kindling)

Last edited by lar; 01-23-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-24-2021, 06:52 AM

Default Galli 80/20 Bronze Flat Wound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lar View Post
Thanks for that chart '121'. They also have a good website with interesting info, especially their FAQs. I had no idea that John Pearse strings (folk) were a TI product. Or that strings that promote overtones feel harder.

They also point out that string tension is not a function of diameter, but density. An important point since they make strings out of aluminum (1/3rd the density of steel), steel, rope, silver, nylon, and chromium/steel.

The number of flat wounds in their sets depend on the tension. Here is how many flat wound strings in each Plectrum set:

extra-light: 3 (D, A, G)
light: 3 (D, A, G)
Medium-light: 1 (G)
Medium: 0

I might try the light but I typically prefer medium tension, and their medium set doesn't have any flatwound. Also, their 'Light' set has a total tension of only 125 lbs, which is really low, 10 lbs lower than D'Addario's Extra-light EJ-15s. FYI
If you're not interested in the low tension but you are interested in flat wound string set with no round wounds, Galli may have what you're looking for.
These Galli strings are 80/20 Bronze flat wound on hex core.

I've tried all 3 string sets and found the G string in all the sets I tried were a little less smooth than the other flat wounds in the sets
and occasionally I would get a small amount of string noise from the G string.
Some folks don't even notice the string noise from the G string.

Using fine grit sand paper on the G string almost eliminates that string noise for me.
Among these three Galli strings sets, I favor the Galli AJF1047.
It's G string (.023w) has a smoother surface than the G strings (.024w) in the other two Galli string sets.
I think these Galli strings are very good strings to get away from string noise,
certainly much better than ground wound strings like D'Addario Flat Tops that might only reduce string noise a little.
For me Dogal Nightclub V25 are still the best flat wound 80/20 Bronze flat wounds available and I like the round core low tension (93 lbs.) feel.
However, the Galli are far more reasonably priced and I'm frugal, so I tend to use the Galli more often.

2018 X30
And four all
laminate wood
acoustic guitars

Last edited by 121; 01-24-2021 at 09:45 AM. Reason: corrected word spacing
Old 01-25-2021, 12:58 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'll order the Galli JF1252 (chrome/steel flat wound) and the AJF1252 (80/20 flat wound) and try them both.

Yes, the Dogal look interesting but double the price ($30+) and very low tension which I want to stay away from.

Another interesting string is the Galli Black nylon Tape Wound: BN1220. Steel core with black nylon round wound. With nylon, my guess is that it would be very quiet and smooth (but again, probably very low tension).
Old 01-25-2021, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Do you have to do anything different when re-stringing with flat wound strings like you do with round core?
Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 PM

I don't think so. As long as the string gauges are not too much larger than what you are already using (i.e., what the nut was setup for, say within 4-5 thou?) then you should be good. I've only used flat ground, not flat wound so far, but either way it's the same. This is why I didn't want to try a 61 gauge E-string when I usually use a 52, quite a big difference.

And like any string set, if the tension is much different you may want to adjust the truss rod.

As a side effect, I'm wondering if tuning is much more stable, and easier, since there is less friction on the nut. I'll find out soon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion