The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-16-2021, 01:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
I was referring to the fact that most so-called "musicians" spend more time posting selfies, what they are having for dinner and other meaningless dross on Instagram instead of being better musically.
I don't understand the issue. These days "everyone" posts selfies, it seems. Silly, but it's not limited to musicians - why should musicians be any different than non-musicians?. Should an accountant not be posting selfies? - maybe they should be back home getting better at accounting? Even musicians have a personal life, and the current trend among people of all types is to (over) share on social media. But some find it fun - if you don't, then don't do it.

Musicians may also be doing it as self-promotion, and that's nothing new. You mention artists from the 60s and 70s. I don't think the Beatles doing comedy skits, appearing in teen magazines, posing with Mohammad Ali, putting out Beatle lunch boxes, etc, etc, was about getting better musically?. A musician is a small business-person, and all businesses do promotion in some way. If you object to the way some are doing it, don't do that. Market yourself (or don't) in a different way that fits your taste. Pop music has always been a bit over the top in promotion, it's not new just because we have facebook and instagram. It wasn't even new in the 60s and 70s. There are plenty of "serious" musicians out there who don't do that kind of stuff.

Sounds like you need to take a break, get your finances in order, and think about what you enjoy about music, and come back to it when it's not a source of frustration.

Last edited by Doug Young; 01-18-2021 at 05:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I don't understand the issue. These days "everyone" posts selfies, it seems. Silly, but it's not limited to musicians - why should musicians be any different than non-musicians?. Should an accountant not be posting selfies? - maybe they should be back home getting better at accounting? Even musicians have a personal life, and the current trend among people of all types is to (over) share on social media. But some find it fun - if you don't, then don't do it.

Musicians may also be doing it as self-promotion, and that's nothing new. You mention artists from the 60s and 70s. I don't think the Beatles doing comedy skits, appearing in teen magazines, posing with Mohammad Ali, putting out Beatle lunch boxes, etc, etc, was about getting better musically. A musician is a small business-person, and all businesses do promotion in some way. If you object to the way some are doing it, don't do that. Market yourself (or don't) in a different way that fits your taste. Pop music has always been a bit over the top in promotion, it's not new just because we have facebook and instagram. It wasn't even new in the 60s and 70s. There are plenty of "serious" musicians out there who don't do that kind of stuff.

Sounds like you need to take a break, get your finances in order, and think about what you enjoy about music, and come back to it when it's not a source of frustration.
Boy, you nailed it sir!

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 01-18-2021, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by necrome View Post
Again, much love to my fellow AGFers for replying and encouraging me in this thread! Sorry I wasn't too clear about what I meant when musicians are "whoring" themselves these days. I was referring to the fact that most so-called "musicians" spend more time posting selfies, what they are having for dinner and other meaningless dross on Instagram instead of being better musically. This is coming from having watched many recent live performances of acclaimed acts and realising a majority of them cannot even pitch accurately. Part of it has to do with our background of growing up with legit musicians from the 60s to 80s and it's very discouraging and frustrating to watch what's happening now.

A good portion of the performing professionals in my area didn't play this game but it is near impossible to be heard now without at least doing it to some degree, especially in this pandemic. Watching many karaoke singers rise up and people who dedicate their lives to the craft go hungry does not sit well with me. Or maybe it's just part of the game as old as humanity itself?
My life is writing and marketing. These days if you go to marketing seminars they instill into you that people on social media want to get to see you, get to know you. That's why you are seeing all the selfies on Instagram. You are right, it is hard to be seen. It is harder if you don't want to do it. People are not being discovered in street corners anymore, they are getting discovered on social media. You have to change or get left behind. Another fact of life.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-18-2021, 12:04 PM

Last edited by unimogbert; 03-07-2023 at 07:30 PM.
Old 01-21-2021, 06:34 PM

OP, when I got to your last paragraph I admit surprise to hear you are married. I can not in any manner imagine supporting a family by playing music.

I play 50-plus gigs a year and make a nice amount of $$ for having fun, but trying to make a living would be horrendous. My wife would have had it years ago I and could not blame her.

I love music and am very happy I get to play frequently. I am also happy I don't have to depend upon it for a living.

Good luck to you!

1984 Carvin LB-40 bass
1986 Carvin DC-125 two humbucker
1996 Taylor 412
La Patrie Concert
2012 American Standard Telecaster
1981 Carvin DC 100
Harley Benton LP JR DC
Bushman Delta Frost & Suzuki harmonicas
Artley flute
Six-plus decade old vocal apparatus

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic