The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-24-2021, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Hi Dru, back then, I ordered a circa 2003 from zZounds, a "1960 Les Paul Gold Top Classic" with the hot ceramic humbuckers. It, too, was a nice-sounding guitar but like 99% of my guitar purchases I traded it in on something else. Basically, I'm an acoustic guitar aficionado who occasionally dabbles in electrics as I'm now about to do so once again ...
I remember Classics from that era. It had '1960' on the pickguard. Why Gibson put the 496R/500T pickups on a guitar with the name "Classic" never made sense to me. Very hot pickups suited for the metal crowd, not the Classic crowd. Great guitars though.
Old 02-14-2021, 12:48 PM

Thumbs up

Well it's been an on/off thing for me now and I finally bought that Carvin. Luckily it was still avail. and even dropped in price $75 as it had been for sale for 2 months. I felt lucky to have been able to grab it!

She's a beauty for sure and flawless save for a wee bit of "scratching" on a pot. b/c the owner has a number of instruments and not given this guy much attention for some time. He was totally up-front about it, even before I drove down to look it over. Then demo'd it to show me. Not a biggie as I've found out.

Again, I'd like to express a LOT of appreciation for you guys all chipping in with some much needed advice!! Wish I could shake some hands!!!

And on the amp, which I was totally in the dark about... Many thanks to Steve DeRosa as that Bugera now resides in my living room and it's more than I ever expected. In fact the fellow who sold me the Carvin had it as his main amp all set up so I heard it first hand!

Lastly, Paleolith54, if my posted reply came across as a tad snarky (I just re-read all posts) please accept my apology. I was really conflicted and a good bit stressed out about this whole journey. I'd failed once before and then again some time later and I was quite in a knot about trying to learn again! I'm sorry... I'm really a gem of a boy ---

Now I'm into some on-line bluesy learning as well as in line for some 1 on 1 with a local teacher. The rest is one me...and I'm really content!

Jeremy.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyG View Post
Well it's been an on/off thing for me now and I finally bought that Carvin. Luckily it was still avail. and even dropped in price $75 as it had been for sale for 2 months. I felt lucky to have been able to grab it!

She's a beauty for sure and flawless save for a wee bit of "scratching" on a pot. b/c the owner has a number of instruments and not given this guy much attention for some time. He was totally up-front about it, even before I drove down to look it over. Then demo'd it to show me. Not a biggie as I've found out.

Again, I'd like to express a LOT of appreciation for you guys all chipping in with some much needed advice!! Wish I could shake some hands!!!

And on the amp, which I was totally in the dark about... Many thanks to Steve DeRosa as that Bugera now resides in my living room and it's more than I ever expected. In fact the fellow who sold me the Carvin had it as his main amp all set up so I heard it first hand!

Lastly, Paleolith54, if my posted reply came across as a tad snarky (I just re-read all posts) please accept my apology. I was really conflicted and a good bit stressed out about this whole journey. I'd failed once before and then again some time later and I was quite in a knot about trying to learn again! I'm sorry... I'm really a gem of a boy ---

Now I'm into some on-line bluesy learning as well as in line for some 1 on 1 with a local teacher. The rest is one me...and I'm really content!

Jeremy.
Excellent! Glad to hear you picked it up, Jeremy.

A scratchy pot is nothing. A little bit of dexoit may resolve it. If not, a new pot is inexpensive if you can do your own soldering.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:11 PM

I bought a SC90 with lots of custom options in '00. The instrument, itself was quite nice, but outside of the superb custom ordered Sperzel tuning keys, all the rest of the hardware and electronics on it was junk.
Old 02-14-2021, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
I play a Carvin AE185. Carvin's answer to the Thinline, but with a better neck and about 70% of the weight. For some reason it's the best electric guitar for me...I can switch from my acoustics to the 185 with less adjustment than any other electric.

Stereo output no less, should you need to run it through your Rivera and your Deluxe Reverb simultaneously.
Ive always wanted to try one of these! Really nice

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars