The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 04-28-2024, 05:11 PM

Default What glue to glue nut on a Journey 0F660M?

Came loose and need to glue it in. Nut falls out when guitar is collapsed. No string pressure to hold it in place. What glue would you suggest (so, of course the nut can be pulled and replaced when needed.)

Thank you all

How
Old 04-28-2024, 05:31 PM

I put a capo on mine at the second fret and everything stays in place when I take the neck off
Old 04-28-2024, 07:10 PM

No glue for me either. I just keep the guitar assembled in a full-size gig bag at work, and only break it down when I travel. The nut and saddle get placed in the little zippered compartment on the front of the bag. When I change the strings I do the outer e strings and work my way in. Once you have the e strings to pitch the nut holds just fine.

I actually use a zero fret on all of my guitars and never glue the nut in- same for my Taylor. How are you liking yours?
Old 04-28-2024, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2guitar_eh View Post
I put a capo on mine at the second fret and everything stays in place when I take the neck off
Shoot that's a good idea! I normally don't notice mine has shifted until I've been playing a while and finger an open D or G chord and notice that the high E has fallen off the edge of the world!
Old 04-29-2024, 06:51 AM

Default Great Ideas...

Thank you all for the GREAT ideas!
Old 04-29-2024, 08:38 AM
Charter Member

I found it hard to thumb fret the E string on my OF660. I made a new nut with wider-spaced strings (image below), which has helped a lot. But if I don't glue it in, the nut doesn't quite center itself under string tension. I found that a bit of wood glue (didn't want to use epoxy) does the trick and still lets me tap it out if needed.

Side by side.jpg
Old 04-29-2024, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
I found it hard to thumb fret the E string on my OF660. I made a new nut with wider-spaced strings (image below), which has helped a lot. But if I don't glue it in, the nut doesn't quite center itself under string tension. I found that a bit of wood glue (didn't want to use epoxy) does the trick and still lets me tap it out if needed.

Attachment 107280

The neck is rather chunky isn’t it? But not like a RainSong N2.

This is an interesting experiment. Do you have the tools or just buy a wider GraphTech and sand down the sides?
Old 04-29-2024, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

A couple of very small dots of methacrylate ("super glue") works well. The nut is easily removed with a light rap from a wooden block.
Old 04-29-2024, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Yup. Quite chunky.

I bought a GraphTech nut (PT-6234-00). Amazon link. It was tall enough that I could sand off the existing slots and put in new ones with a set of nut files. I made the new string spacing 0.12" (3mm) wider than the original. Buying a wider nut and sanding down the sides is a good idea, as long as you can get a spacing you want. Journey leaves quite a bit of margin between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
The neck is rather chunky isn’t it? But not like a RainSong N2.

This is an interesting experiment. Do you have the tools or just buy a wider GraphTech and sand down the sides?
Old 04-29-2024, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Yup. Quite chunky.

I bought a GraphTech nut (PT-6234-00). Amazon link. It was tall enough that I could sand off the existing slots and put in new ones with a set of nut files. I made the new string spacing 0.12" (3mm) wider than the original. Buying a wider nut and sanding down the sides is a good idea, as long as you can get a spacing you want. Journey leaves quite a bit of margin between the outer strings and the edge of the fretboard.

Thanks Kevin, appreciate this.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber