The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-16-2019, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

Default New to Nylon....Taylor Academy N

I recently picked up a Taylor Academy Nylon guitar, it has been a real joy to play, beyond my expectations even. Unplugged it is OK, but plugged in to my Loudbox Mini, to me, it sounds excellent. I played several others and liked the Cordoba's too, but there was just something I liked a little better about the Taylor. Are there any other Taylor Academy players here?
Old 05-17-2019, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

Well it's good to know that I am the only Academy owner out here ! I am special I guess. LOL
Old 05-18-2019, 04:17 AM

This is why you haven't gotten a lot of responses. The majority of want their nylon string guitars to sound great unplugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinco View Post
Unplugged it is OK, but plugged in to my Loudbox Mini, to me, it sounds excellent.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 AM

Congratulations! Now begins the great string search to find what really brings it to life.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:52 AM

Congrats on the Academy Nylon! I'll have to get one a try when I see one in the store.

Will you always play it plugged in because you prefer the tone?
Old 05-18-2019, 10:18 PM
Charter Member

It will be played mainly unplugged actually, I didn't mean to make it sound like it sounds bad unplugged. It doesn't. I preferred it to the Cordoba's I played at the same time. Both were good, just different. I was trying to say that it sounds "REALLY GOOD" plugged in, and it has a great feel to it when playing for a guy like me that is crossing over to nylon strings and not looking for a true classical guitar. Any string suggestions are welcome ! Thank you for the replies.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:37 PM

Played one yesterday at my lgs super fun little guitar. Still trying to figure out why I left it behind.
Old 05-22-2019, 03:02 PM

I have played the Taylor Academy nylon at least a half dozen times in music stores. It really does have a nice tone and I can see why you love it, congratulations.
Old 05-22-2019, 05:53 PM

i am also interested in one.congrats!
Old 06-17-2019, 11:31 PM

hey John!

It is not the same but I played Cordova Fusion nylon and X7 with Light steels back and forth fingerstyle. The nylon sounded so much louder and relaxed, I am starting to wonder what X7 or X20 nylon would sound like. Have you already gone down this path?

G

Last edited by Gitaman; 06-18-2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:43 AM

The Taylor Academy 12 N is a good guitar and sounds fine unplugged. Mine doesn't have a pick up. Its just a fun super easy to play guitar. R
Old 07-10-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I just picked one up as a beater for songwriting and was very pleasantly surprised! I put some Savarez 520 B’s on it and it gave me the warm traditional sound that I was looking for.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:46 PM

I haven't played many of the academy instruments, but I truly love my 414ceR-n. Try some different strings and tensions to see which you and your guitar like.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM

I haven't changed the strings on mine yet. Keep in mind they come with high tension D'Addario carbon strings. This type of string will move a heavy top well, I don't think Taylor picked them randomly. They sound good to me. R
Old 07-12-2019, 03:11 PM

I am just trying my first amplified classical-

I like the amp more than I thought I would, even if it's old and was underwater a few hours ten years ago- I almost never play my squire strat.

At 65, the thing simply just wakes me up sometimes- and anything to inject a little playing time interest.

I really only wanted a cutaway to help me play further up the neck, and sorta annoyed that almost all of those then just put electronics in an already reduced sound box.

After I bought one, I started seeing a cheap $50 cutaway on ebay that looked exactly like the first electric classical I bought, but without the pre-amp. I took that one back anyway and got a nicer Miquel Rosales from Australia.

I like the electric a bit and will probably pick up another transistor battery amp to assault the public. I had one of those that Didn't survive that flood like the 10-15 watt Drive amp.

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-14-2019 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Profanity removed

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical