The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-03-2024, 12:39 AM

Default Looking for travel guitar, again!

Hello dear people. I am going again on a backpacking trip for more than a year and can't leave without a guitar. I am looking at yamaha silent (nylon) or Little Martin (I know its steel but maybe can get used)

Can anyone recommend what would be better? I'll be traveling a lot, playing in different environments. I am still only 2,5 years into my guitar journey and just want to practice everywhere, compose songs and record some for Youtube.

Maybe there are other options that I don't know of? Really appreciate your help!
Old 04-03-2024, 01:29 AM

Cordoba Protege C1 3/4 size are great and can be found cheap used- I got one used last summer in pristine condition for about $129 used. Couldn't put it down for months. A little less fragile than a Cadete- which has slightly better sound with Canadian Cedar as opposed to Spruce top, and similar mahogany back and sides they may not be built as traveling guitars but I found that the 34 size still contains a lot of the full sized sound- the Requinto 580 1/2 size Cordoba has just lost too much sound and is cramped on the fret board then, I think. My hands are slightly large and clumsy, All the stats are posted at Cordoba, unlike so many others,
Old 04-03-2024, 05:10 AM

I used to do a lot of traveling for business so this was important to me for many years. My current travel guitar is a Journey OF660 (carbon fiber guitar with a detachable neck). It comes in a case that fits in the overhead bin - even on regional jets - and since it's CF, if I ever do have to check it I'm not going to be on pins and needles.
Old 04-03-2024, 09:06 AM

The Yamaha SLG200NW (US$750-$820) is a suitable travel option and, being all solid, would be better able to survive environmental changes. But it is still as long as a regular guitar which is something you need to keep in mind.

Also, to properly practice with the SLG200NW in the classical position, you would need a GuitarLift Support for Silent Guitar which runs an extra US$115 with shipping. This item adds even more volume to your gear.

So that package, which I have, will cost you about US$935 before any sales taxes unless you can find them used and discounted.

Assuming that you can afford to spend US$1400-$1800 (which would include shipping), your most compact option will probably be the Moov Travel Guitar. It will match the playing dimensions of a regular classical guitar, has a built-in guitar support to play in the classical position, and can be fitted with a golpeador if you also play flamenco.

Last edited by CoastStrings; 04-03-2024 at 09:24 AM.
Old 04-05-2024, 01:38 PM
Charter Member

The Moov looks interesting although the claim of smallest is doubtful as the EO I have looks to be more compact when folded.

I have an EO folding nylon which I modified to take a Fishman Aura pickup that replaced the Yamaha slg200n that I had previously. I travel with it multiple times per month.

I use a lightweight nylon strap instead of a leg rest. I bring a spark go if I want amplification.

https://eo-guitars.com/

The eo is much smaller for travelling and now sounds better than the Yamaha to me. (Although the Yamaha sounded better before I changed out the pickup). The ergonomics on the eo are better as well. The body pieces are angled which simulates body depth better and the bevelling on the Yamaha goes the wrong way.

If you want a true acoustic the Furch Little Jane is fantastic although I find the EO provides me a lot more options to play without disturbing others in hotels etc.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-05-2024 at 01:46 PM.
Old 04-05-2024, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

The EO looks interesting. How much do they cost? Website is circumspect....
Old 04-05-2024, 11:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
The EO looks interesting. How much do they cost? Website is circumspect....
I picked mine up 5 years ago so pricing information would be out of date. At the time I recall it being around $800 or so by the time it got to me.

It was priced about 15-20% higher than the Yamaha silent guitar.

Last edited by Aspiring; 04-06-2024 at 10:25 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 12:34 AM

You can't beat a Martin Backpacker for traveling. For practicing it's ok, for performances it's probably too thin and weak. I put a pick-up in mine and it sounds great with a headphone amp.

I also have a Little Martin - it sounds like a full guitar, but it is much, much bigger and takes up far more space.
Old 04-06-2024, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsman View Post
My current travel guitar is a Journey OF660 (carbon fiber guitar with a detachable neck). It comes in a case that fits in the overhead bin - even on regional jets - and since it's CF, if I ever do have to check it I'm not going to be on pins and needles.
Having carried guitars on airplanes for decades I'm glad to finally have a Journey OF660. I've only flown with it once so far, but it was a short trip and though the guitar body takes up most of the carry-on sized bag it still had enough space to take what I needed for a few days. The sound hole being off to the side allows for stuffing some clothing items inside, and there's also space around the guitar, along with a computer slot and room above the guitar itself.
Very quick to assemble, very little fuss with the strings and much warmer sounding than any other travel sized guitar I've yet to hear.

https://youtu.be/4TFTvSe08Kg?si=-CE9n25jo0vc-pRF
https://youtu.be/fqNCoq4XCRQ?si=a7iNmPCUf-GZHZI7
https://youtu.be/USitF-QFAFI?si=MQ8-ZeP-4Yj8I2yH
Friedman WW Smallbox, Marshall 4212

Last edited by Nama Ensou; 04-06-2024 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-06-2024, 02:04 AM

Perhaps consider the Cordoba Mini II. They are small but with a wide-enough fretboard that allows me to transition between it and a full-sized classical without any issues.

The only possible issue is that the Mini II sounds like a cheap ukulele (which isn't surprising since it's as cheap as a cheap ukulele). However, it's very good as a practice tool (and cheap: good for travel; if lost or broken, not a big deal).
Old 04-06-2024, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackC1 View Post
Perhaps consider the Cordoba Mini II. They are small but with a wide-enough fretboard that allows me to transition between it and a full-sized classical without any issues.

The only possible issue is that the Mini II sounds like a cheap ukulele (which isn't surprising since it's as cheap as a cheap ukulele). However, it's very good as a practice tool (and cheap: good for travel; if lost or broken, not a big deal).
I own a Cordoba Mini M, which is even smaller than the currently sold Mini ll. It lived behind the drivers seat of my car ready to play until the pandemic forced me to retire. I paid a little over $100.00 for it used, and never regreted it. As a matter of fact, I pulled it out a few days ago, and found that I still enjoyed playing it. If you choose something cheap enough, you'll never need to worry about it being damaged or stolen.

Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 04-10-2024, 07:33 AM

I have a Yamaha SLG200NW. I"ve never flow with it so I can't speak to how traveling with it would be, but playing it is a delight. Intonation is great and it sustains like crazy all the way up the fretboard. I play it using either a good pair of earbuds or through an amp and it sounds great either way. That said, it doesn't sound or play like any conventional classical guitar I've ever played or heard. While it's built using concert classical guitar fretboard dimensions, there's where the similarities end. I can't play it effectively without a strap, even when seated. It's too thin. It eats AA batteries so I use rechargables. On the plus side, there are no tonewoods to warp and crack with extremes in humidity here in coastal Rhode Island USA. Using headphone or earbuds, you won't disturb anyone with repetitive practice, but you can easily plug it into an amplifier to perform with it. That said, the onboard volume and tone controls aren't very accessible, so for performances you might need foot pedals. Lastly, it would not be my first choice, or even second choice, to perform a program featuring classical repertoire . It would, however, be my go-to axe for a jazz/pop/solo chord-melody gig and would come along with a steel string electric for small combo work.
Old 04-11-2024, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Fontaine View Post
I have a Yamaha SLG200NW. ... I can't play it effectively without a strap, even when seated. It's too thin.
You need this, Lee. It solves both problems. I have it on my SLG200NW.

It's sold in the US through StringsByMail.

Old 04-12-2024, 09:02 AM

Fwiw, I have an SLG130NW and some years ago removed the wooden rest from it and replaced it with a spare Gitano rest I had. I removed the suction cups from the Gitano and attached it with two strips of velcro in the placement I wanted. This also allows me to sit the guitar more forward on my leg and tilt it to my body as I do with my classical guitar. I can't remember where I originally read about this fix, but it's worked well for me.

Here's a photo: https://imgur.com/Yd6yQQU

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Tags
martin, travel, yamaha