The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

Default New Emerald X-20 order...pickup question

I'm going to order a new X20. Should I just stick with the B Band pickup they install or just have them put the K&K in for the extra $150?

I don't play out much and rarely plug in. Plus, I am not crazy about the barn door controls on such a beautiful guitar.

In the back of my mind I am always thinking resale down the road.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Bluside; 12-09-2015 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:57 AM

If you don't like barndoors get the $150 K&K: to get what you want it may well be worth it. That said the BBand is a very good pickup, I think he can put one in without a barndoor, they make them with endpin preamps. He did on my Doubleneck.
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Guest 928

I went with the K&K on my X20N and found it very satisfactory.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:31 PM

Or order it without a pickup and fit your own choice later, JJ do a very credible SBT similar to the K&K but much cheaper. I have one but have yet to fit it to a guitar. I bought an X7 with the B-Band, I'd have preferred it without the barn door but didn't want to wait for a made to order so I bought the guitar off stock in a UK dealer. I love it and it always amazes players how much quality sound you can get out of a small guitar. The B-band is pretty good TBH for a UST.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 12-09-2015, 01:08 PM

If you don't put in a pickup have him drill it for one and put in a jack endpin. Then you have easy options later if you want to add yourself.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-09-2015 at 02:37 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluside View Post
I'm going to order a new X20. Should I just stick with the B Band pickup they install or just have them put the K&K in for the extra $150?

I don't play out much and rarely plug in. Plus, I am not crazy about the barn door controls on such a beautiful guitar.

In the back of my mind I am always thinking resale down the road.

Thoughts?
Hi Blueside,

Last I checked, a B-Band is more expensive, and harder to install than the K&K, are you sure the $150 upcharge is on top of what the guitar would cost you with the B-Band?

Either way I prefer the K&K, so I would order the guitar without electronics, ask Alistar to deduct the price of the B-Band A3T, about $130, and have your local luthier install a K&K. The K&K runs $99, and installation on the X20 should be between $50 to $100 max.

Good luck
Old 12-09-2015, 01:25 PM

I believe Alistair does some sort of additional build up inside his guitars to best accommodate the sensors of the K&K, hence the additional expense. I think I read that somewhere!
Old 12-09-2015, 04:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Blueside,

Last I checked, a B-Band is more expensive, and harder to install than the K&K, are you sure the $150 upcharge is on top of what the guitar would cost you with the B-Band?

Either way I prefer the K&K, so I would order the guitar without electronics, ask Alistar to deduct the price of the B-Band A3T, about $130, and have your local luthier install a K&K. The K&K runs $99, and installation on the X20 should be between $50 to $100 max.

Good luck
Yes, according to their website when you add it to the cart. I have an email into to the company but have not heard back yet.

I had an X-20 in the past with a K&K. So, I am very familiar with the setup. I'm going to order one with the fancy wood veneers and all the stuff, so I guess I'll just go all the way.

Thanks for all the replies.
Old 12-09-2015, 07:18 PM
Guest 928

Bluside;

You sing it, I'm with you. Let it all hang out--that's where I'm going with my new Emerald order. I'm even getting the slot-head tuners--step back, take a bow.

Anyway, I am amazed at the reasonable price Alistair charges for a custom carbon fiber guitar. I hope you show us pictures of your new art/instrument. I don't do pictures, but if you let him know, Alistair can show your new guitar in portfolio format.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
Hi Blueside,

Good luck
I am also contemplating ordering a guitar from Emerald (X7 Artisan) and I am also puzzled about this K&K pick up upgrade. If you are upgrading to the K&K, would Emerald credit you with the price of the B-Band since it is not being used? Granted, it might take a bit extra work to install the K&K and if the price of the K&K is lower, would it not make sense to say switch the B-Band for the K&K for an extra $20 or $30?
I am not trying to stir the pot here, I'm only saying this as some of us are saving our pennies to get the guitar we want.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:07 AM

Default X-20 pick up

I just received my X-20 Woody, 13 fret with a K&K pick up and the first thing I noticed was that Alistair also included a volume control which might account for his price. I checked the install and after installing at least 30 K&K pure mini's myself, Alistair's install is perfect. My first impression is that the X-20 is really a nice sounding and playing guitar not to mention how beautiful it looks. I not a fan of 80/20's that came on it, put PB lights on, much better. This is my first carbon guitar, I've built 95 wood guitars and have to say, this is one fine instrument. The fit and finish is perfect, the intenation is dead on and it so comfortable to play, sounds great plugged and unplugged. Trust Alistair, he knows how to build a world class instrument.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:36 AM

I would agree Alistair knows better than anyone what's good on his guitars. I think he stays with BBand because he feels it's the best. I have had K&K in Blackbird I bought used and liked it but I do believe carbon guitars work better with UST than wood guitars. I think so many love the K&K they have in their wood guitars they just immediately think it's best for carbon. Just not sure that's true. Look at all the carbon markets, standard pickups are all UST. I have the standard Fishman in my Rainsong, I would not swop it for a K&K though I love it in my wood guitar.
2014 Godin Inuk
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-10-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny View Post
I believe Alistair does some sort of additional build up inside his guitars to best accommodate the sensors of the K&K, hence the additional expense. I think I read that somewhere!
I installed a K&K on an Emerald X7 with no prep of the surface. Worked great.

If you think you need smoother surface, take a sandpaper block that area (which I did on my X20, which had a rough spot under the bridge).

It's most cost effective (and pretty easy, imo) to put in a K&K yourself.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:47 AM

Of all the UST's out there, I find the B-band to be the least quacky. In fact, it isn't quacky at all, but it still has that direct piezo tone. You can fix that with some reverb though. It's also not much thicker than a file folder, so there is minimal effect on tone.

If you will be ever be playing on a big loud stage, B-band is the way to go. If you are playing in controlled environments you will get a more natural tone with the K&K. It will also provide a nicer recording tone.

Personally, I would go with both. No barn door, 2 soundhole mounted volume controls so you could mix the tone and still have a standard 1/4 out. Better yet, both to a TRS (or stereo) jack then to an external splitter or blend box. That way you could eq each system differently. The K&K tends to need the bass rolled off to avoid feedback, while the B-band often needs some bass added. Perhaps the 2 would nicely balance each other in that regard.

The thing is, it's best to have it installed by the people who know the guitar the best. After market installation is fine, but I always find it lacking. I am SUPER picky though.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:26 PM
Guest 928

I've had the B-band on a variety of instruments, wooden and CF, and think it is a great tool. But I prefer the K&K. I have the K&K in my X10N and in my Rainsong Parlor nylon. It's clean, unobtrusive, and has worked fine in performance settings.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber