The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-05-2015, 02:08 PM

Default Kevin Michael vs Journey OF660 vs Rainsong Parlor

Hi, was wondering if anyone has experience with all three of these? I had managed to snag a used rainsong parlor for very cheap awhile ago, I liked it, except I couldn't get used to the thicker neck profile, and ended up selling it. I was able to try the kevin michael for about 30 minutes in a store, I liked it alot but I can't afford or justify the 2500 price tag. So I am interested in the Journey OF660 at about 1100, but they are nowhere to be found. Can anyone give me impressions of the Journey as compared to the other two? Also not to make this thread too complicated, but would the blackbird lucky 13 be a good choice? Thanks for any insights.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:54 PM

Elderly has a full 30 day return policy on the OF660, I believe. It would give you time to try and decide.

From all the positives people have written, I think it sounds like a great little guitar. Half the price of the Kevin M and a 24.5 scale length instead of 22 something.

You could also just contact Journey directly and see if they have begun shipping to a dealer near you--just in case there is one you could drive to and try.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:45 PM

I love that the OF660 has a foldable neck and is truly an air traveler with the nifty backpack. It's too hard to judge a guitar's tone from just videos so you are more qualified than me having played 2 of these guitars. I think ac's advice is spot on.
Old 12-05-2015, 06:53 PM

Yes, the OF660 has me very intrigued. I like that it has an almost full scale length, like the rainsong parlor. I really wish i could have lived with the chunkier neck of the rainsong parlor, it would have been a guitar for life. I think if I got the OF660 it would be my leave out guitar, and i would only disassemble it if i was travelling.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:52 PM

Default Kevin Michael vs Journey OF660 vs Rainsong Parlor

I have tried the OF660 for about 10 days and own a Rainsong Parlor. The OF660 is not a substitute for the Parlor. It is a GREAT travel guitar, but it is a travel guitar. In my opinion it is not an everyday instrument and if purchased to be an everyday instrument, you may be disappointed long-term. From what I have read, the Lucky 13 and offerings from Emerald are also excellent.
'66 Gibson J-200, '55 J50, JB Model 1; Martin M-36; Micheletti Osprey Rigid Rim; Collings OM2H, GR Bear OM C; Emerald X10 Slimline; Gretsch HOF Country Gent & G6120CMHOF; Gibson ES-165; CP Thornton Improv; Veillette Flyer 14 & Lyric; Anderson Crowdster++ ....
Old 12-07-2015, 10:31 PM

thaichine, we have around 50 dealers with these in stock. PM me your location I can recommend a dealer to you. We have the colored tops out now as well.
1950s Martin Baritone Uke
A prototype of something you're likely to drool over.

9 yr old boy learning drums, 5 yr old girl who likes to groove with the beat, a music-loving toddler, 1 patient and amazing wife.
Old 12-09-2015, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaichine View Post
Hi, was wondering if anyone has experience with all three of these? I had managed to snag a used rainsong parlor for very cheap awhile ago, I liked it, except I couldn't get used to the thicker neck profile, and ended up selling it. I was able to try the kevin michael for about 30 minutes in a store, I liked it alot but I can't afford or justify the 2500 price tag. So I am interested in the Journey OF660 at about 1100, but they are nowhere to be found. Can anyone give me impressions of the Journey as compared to the other two? Also not to make this thread too complicated, but would the blackbird lucky 13 be a good choice? Thanks for any insights.
I have played all the guitars you have mentioned. I too sold my Rainsong Parlor cause of the beefier neck, so our neck preference may be similar. You are comparing a wide range of instruments, and prices so not sure that is fair. The Journey to me is a great travel guitar and a good value but is not going to be one I sit down with every day. The Kevin Michael was a great guitar, just about perfect neck for me. But it just made me want a full size one. Your ticket may be trying to get a used Lucky 13 in the new voicing. Look for the sound port, that's the new ones. I liked the neck better than the Rainsong, but it has a slight fullness as well. Soundwise it's a little woodier than the Rainsongs. But to be fair, when I decided to slim my carbon herd, I sold the Lucky 13 and keep my Rainsong Black Ice Jumbo. The Jumbo matched my flat picking style and I love it being so light, the neck profile seemed more at home on the Jumbo as well
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom

Last edited by Doubleneck; 12-09-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-09-2015, 10:34 AM

Here's a quick YouTube comparison that might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i3DaD0IdRU

Old 12-09-2015, 11:55 AM

Thanks for all the replies! Rob from Journey pointed me in the direction of a shop in long island that carries the OF660, so now I just have to find the time to get myself out there. The video that Ted provided is helpful, but for myself I need to hear it in person, and feel how the neck is. I AM looking for a leave out guitar that I may play on a daily basis, that also is small enough to travel with. Doubleneck, I would love to try a Lucky 13, but that is even rarer than the OF660. Of course I was visiting in San Francisco a few years ago, right near the Blackbird Factory, but at the time I wasn't interested in carbon fiber!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber