The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 08-05-2015, 06:41 PM
Charter Member

Default Time for a new interface

Thinking about upgrading from my Presonus Firestudio Mobile to something else. I'm on a new Macbook Pro, so I am using the Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. I see RME just released the Baby Face Pro, which eliminates the messy breakout cable I don't like about similar units. People seem to speak highly about RME in regards to driver support and customer service, as well as the virtual mixer software and included software meters. The MOTU Ultralite also looks nice, its a few hundred bucks cheaper. As I am only recording solo guitar I dont seem to use more than two inputs most of the time.

Anton
Old 08-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Thinking about upgrading from my Presonus Firestudio Mobile to something else. I'm on a new Macbook Pro, so I am using the Firewire to Thunderbolt adapter. I see RME just released the Baby Face Pro, which eliminates the messy breakout cable I don't like about similar units. People seem to speak highly about RME in regards to driver support and customer service, as well as the virtual mixer software and included software meters. The MOTU Ultralite also looks nice, its a few hundred bucks cheaper. As I am only recording solo guitar I dont seem to use more than two inputs most of the time.

Anton
Anton,

I don't have recent experience with RME products but the 8 channel AD/DA converters I used many years ago were quite nice, and yes the drivers are great and customer service is too.

I did audition an Apogee Quartet recently, which is the big brother of the Apogee Duet (same preamps, same AD and DA converters, etc.). I was impressed with the preamps, converters and the overall feature set/design.

Both RME and Apogee have a long and good history with working well with Apple computers and with customers. I doubt you would go wrong with either company and it's likely both will be around for a long time. There are some feature nuances that you may wish to compare closely. Perhaps one will have a better feature set for your needs.
Old 08-10-2015, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

I've been a longtime MOTU fan. Currently using a Track 16, but the cableing is significant. They make a box with all the jacks but it's pretty expensive.

If you ever envision two mics on a guitar plus a vocal mic, you need one of their other units. You can add another input devise with eight inputs, but then you'd also be better off with another unit with four or eight inputs.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-10-2015, 03:38 PM

I've just bought the original Babyface since it is now discounted due to the Pro version coming out.

It works very well under both Windows and OS-X and so far I'm very happy with it.
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 08-23-2015, 06:35 AM

I had an mBox 2 for many years and figured it probably sounded as good as most of the reasonably priced interfaces. Recently replaced it with a UAD Apollo Twin and the difference is staggering. The preamps (both hardware and software) are amazing, everything I record sounds much better. I know the Apollo isn't cheap but for what you get with it (like the DSP engine), it's a bargain. The only downside is that now I want to re-record everything I've done in the past 10 years.
2012 Fender American Standard Strat
2015 Fender American Standard Telecaster
1965 Fender Mustang (Original)
Squier Vintage Modified Mustang Bass
iPad2 w/SetListMaker

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD