The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-21-2010, 05:16 PM

Default "Solo Guitar Sketchbook", by Harvey Reid

I had forgotten how much I enjoy this CD.

In order to share the joy here I visited YouTube in the hope that I'd find one or two tracks there.

I came up empty, but I did find the following performance of the tune, "Macallan's Jig":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LheZneHCS_c

{As I understand it, the Show and Tell forum is for one's own performances. Right?}

{Wrong! I see that the thread has been moved to Show and Tell. Now I know!}

A veteran is someone who at one point in his or her life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Last edited by bluesbassdad; 03-21-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Old 03-21-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm loving his "Song Train" which is a book of two chord songs. The CDs alone were worth the price- you essentially jam along to the song.

http://www.songtrain.net/

-a couple of Taylors
-Silver Creek T-170 (passed on to my daughter)
Old 03-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I'm loving his "Song Train" which is a book of two chord songs. The CDs alone were worth the price- you essentially jam along to the song.
I've come close to buying this several times. Do you listen just to listen, or is it a jamming and learning tool? Or both/

All the best,

Fitz
Old 03-21-2010, 06:31 PM

I'm still a very early beginner- so I try to jam along. Its helped me mix up my strumming patterns - but I have it on my MP3 player and listen too.

It took me about 4 months to pull the trigger, and then reading the positive review in Acoustic Guitar magazine to get it. It isn't the cheapest book/CD set so I got it through a library and tried it before I bought it- I had never heard Harvey Reid before. The web site has some song samples on it- even full songs but I was still nervous.

The book has some alternate tunings and some capo use required to play along- It was a good motivation for me to try a capo. (I also know a lot of the songs in it, but didn't have any recordings of them at all- I like old folk/country songs.)

-a couple of Taylors
-Silver Creek T-170 (passed on to my daughter)
Old 03-22-2010, 12:38 PM

I remember Harvey as being quite a character in the '80s, when we were both based in the Portsmouth, NH area. He seemed to have a witty comment for any occasion. Love his song "Dreamer and Believer". Its good to see that he's still getting some recognition for his considerable talents.

Gary
Old 03-27-2010, 05:48 AM

Dave (nice name you got there)--

Thanks for sharing MacClellan's Jig. I have Solo guitar Sketchbook; I have seen HR four or five times. He's playing tonight not too far from me in CT, USA. I hadn't planned to go, but now that you've reminded me how much I enjoy his music I'm on the fence.

DAVE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell