The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-08-2010, 06:20 PM

Post Not vintage

I can tell just by what I can make out of the label that this one isn't a vintage model, you can also tell by the rosette, the 1970's CY140's rosette has different coloring. So, the top would be solid Cedar, back and sides Brazilian laminates.

I've got 2, one all solid vintage and a newer 2004 model. Can't go wrong!

yl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
I just picked up a CY140 that I was told was a late 70's.......serial is 53501. I'm curious if it really is that old, it's in pretty incredible condition if it is!!

Also I thought I'd heard that some of these earlier ones were solid Braz and not laminate, or am I dreaming?

This one is so light I'd have a hard time believing it was laminate. The back tap rings almost as good as the top too

I just got it a couple of hours ago and polished the body out with 3M Hand Glaze and threw a fresh set of ProArte's on it. It sounded very nice with the old (I mean REALLY old) strings on it. Just has a couple of 1/2 inch long nail marks on the top, and a couple of dimples on the back and that's it.....the case is really clean as well.
Neck angle and relief are perfect and there's plenty of saddle left!!

Just curious if anyone can offer any info....

Thanks!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Old 11-08-2010, 06:24 PM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yairiluvr View Post
I can tell just by what I can make out of the label that this one isn't a vintage model, you can also tell by the rosette, the 1970's CY140's rosette has different coloring. So, the top would be solid Cedar, back and sides Brazilian laminates.
yes, thanks....figured that out back in post #6

Old 11-08-2010, 06:29 PM

Exclamation Vintage AY classical models not all solid

[QUOTE These guitar, laminate or solid, or highly underrated in my opinion. I also like their Conquistador model which ws the predecessor to the CY140. It had the ornate carved headstock. I believe that all Yairi clasicals made before 75 or 76 were solid wood. But I am not 100% sure.

I see why these usually last a few days on Elderly Instruments site when they have a used one . Nice guitar. I hope you keep this one.[/QUOTE]

FYI, vintage (1970's) Alvarez Yairi classicals had solid tops, with laminate back and sides... with one exception, a year or so they made the CY140's a Limited Edition and these are all solid.

yl
Old 11-08-2010, 10:08 PM

And what year specifically would that be?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:36 AM

one thing I learned since arriving in Japan is that there are a lot of guitars out there that are not listed in catalogs so I`m always a bit careful about what passes for fact and what is speculation.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical