The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-31-2010, 10:53 AM

Default the jam cover, good enough for open mike?

hi im currently at university in england and a friend of mine regularly takes part in open mike sessions where he sings blues songs and bob dylan etc, id love to acompany him and he said I can if i can sing good enough, I said id practice over the easter holidays, bascily, id like to know if I am ok to sing in a pub, i dont aim to be a perfect singer (like x factor rubbish) i just want to be able to sing without hurting peoples ears.

so i would appriciate it if you could view my cover of a song by 'The Jam' theres a lot of mistakes as i had to record it in a rush (while i had an empty house) and theres two takes. Please give it a chance because i think i sing better in the chorus.

anyway all advice appreciated, please be critical.

heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bj5jGb2YvHM
Old 03-31-2010, 11:22 AM

first off you need to make sure you tune your guitar, your singing was okay and would be fine for an open mic but you MUST tune your guitar!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Yes, your singing is okay for an open mic. Strive to enunciate each word as well as you can. Most people do not. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2010, 11:57 AM

What Louie said...... Sounds like you have decent vocals. Good luck and enjoy it!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:57 PM

ok thanks a lot for the encouraging replies, yeah your right, didnt realise how horribly out of tune it was when i recorded that, it just goes out of tunes so quick, i think i hit the strings too hard.

id love to go busking as well, am i ok to busk to you think?
Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM

i think youll do fine at an open mic

as far as busking, that is a no fail scheme.

on one side of the sign put, "donations for talent appreciated!". if that doesn't work, put "will shut up after $20.00" on the other side of the sign.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:30 PM

Technically, I would call this an Oasis cover since the arrangement isn't the original. Personally, I prefer the original version, but after listening to the Oasis cover, I figured out what you were going for.

As the host of an open mic, I can say with conviction that there is no such thing as "not good enough" for an open mic. Definitely tune your guitar, though

That which is good or great makes itself known, no matter how loud the clamor of denial. -- Theodore F. MacManus

I've got a fever and the only prescription is more cowbell -- Christopher Walken
Old 03-31-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
Technically, I would call this an Oasis cover since the arrangement isn't the original. Personally, I prefer the original version, but after listening to the Oasis cover, I figured out what you were going for.

As the host of an open mic, I can say with conviction that there is no such thing as "not good enough" for an open mic. Definitely tune your guitar, though
hey thanks, yer i thought a 'the jam cover' cover sounded more respectible than 'oasis cover cover'

yer ill tune mine guitar

ahhh i see there is no such thing as 'not good enough' for open mike, although there is such a thing as 'making an idiot of yourself' which is what i dont want to do but i can get away with it on the internet

but seriously, thanks for the reply and yes, originals are usualy better than covers (however jimi hendrix's cover of all along the watch tower is better than bob dylans orignal, how ever good that may be!)
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Honest, tune your guitar, your pitch wavered quite a bit (truth) and you need to enunciate the words cleanly.

The good news, all the above are newbie "issues" and can be fixed with practice (and a tuner). The more nervous someone is the more the vocals suffer and you can hear it.

Open mike advise, absolutley do it! But help yourself, don't pick a song you have to think about playing, that will hurt the vocals, pick something you can play easily so you can concentrate on the vocals.

Being flat or sharp is often caused by stress or insecurity, so again pick a song(s) that fit in your vocal range, not something you have to reach for to hit certain notes. It's better to nail something simple than struggle with something complicated.

You need confidence, that comes with practice and stage time. Record your practices and play them back, be hard on yourself, your pitch is all over the place on that particular recording, probably nerves, realize it and fix it, no big deal.

99% of the world will never perform in public, it takes guts, tune your guitar, relax your vocals and go perform.....good luck!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 04-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guyute View Post
That made me spew my coffee ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell