The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-23-2019, 10:11 PM

So I went and played them both again today... thinking that I'd be leaning towards the OM-18GE, after playing an OM-18 Authentic the other day, I was expecting it to be as nice, but it wasn't quite as nice as that tbh... I love all the appointments of the GE, the blank headstock, brazilian overlay/binding/end piece etc, adi/hog... but when I played the 00-28VS I was kinda sucked in by the 1 7/8 neck and wider bridge spacing... Prob more confused than before, will have to have a few more plays before deciding...
Old 07-23-2019, 10:57 PM

I own an OM-18A and a 00-28VS. The OM 18A is very nice and has a very sweet sound with quick decay. It would perfectly suit Leon Redbone's style.
The 00-28 VS really is a special guitar. Loud, with tons of sustain. It can roar and handles strumming well (I play with nails). I love the wide neck and short scale. It is a very easy guitar for a guy with big fingers to play well. If I had to sell one of them, it would be the OM.
Old 07-23-2019, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhand78 View Post
So I went and played them both again today... thinking that I'd be leaning towards the OM-18GE, after playing an OM-18 Authentic the other day, I was expecting it to be as nice, but it wasn't quite as nice as that tbh... I love all the appointments of the GE, the blank headstock, brazilian overlay/binding/end piece etc, adi/hog... but when I played the 00-28VS I was kinda sucked in by the 1 7/8 neck and wider bridge spacing... Prob more confused than before, will have to have a few more plays before deciding...
Has the GE got the original banjo tuners?
Old 07-23-2019, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Has the GE got the original banjo tuners?
Yes it does....
Old 07-24-2019, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Yes it does....
Nice........I hope you decide soon, sounds like a lovely guitar.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
Nice........I hope you decide soon, sounds like a lovely guitar.
Thanks mate , its actually proving to be a rather difficult decision...
Old 07-24-2019, 04:35 AM

I love my om-18GE
Old 07-25-2019, 12:47 AM

Just went and had a good play on a OM-18 Authentic... Man what a guitar, I'd have bought it but sadly, it's out of my price range... I'll go and play the GE again and see if it's close... spec wise it should be but the Authentic was so light, yet loud and responsive, the sound was so woody and immediate, it was absolutely incredible... may very well have been the best guitar I've played...
Old 07-25-2019, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Just went and had a good play on a OM-18 Authentic... Man what a guitar, I'd have bought it but sadly, it's out of my price range... I'll go and play the GE again and see if it's close... spec wise it should be but the Authentic was so light, yet loud and responsive, the sound was so woody and immediate, it was absolutely incredible... may very well have been the best guitar I've played...
I have read many good things about the Authentics. When I hear things like responsive, light as a feather, woody, not to mention bell like and crisp, I think of my OM-18V. I'm sure the OM-18GE is the same.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:38 AM

I'll tell you what... I've now got two favorite OM's (of which I own neither)... The M36 and a Bourgeois OM. Bourgeois has a model numbering system that I don't understand, but I remember the word "green" somewhere on the inside lable. But that guitar was to die for. It had a very soft V neck and depending on how much money I can get from a few things sold and for sale, I may just buy it. I think it was hog back and sides. All I remember is how well it played in my hands.

I also played a M36 for the first time and really liked it. I guess it's RW rather than hog. But the volume and tone for an OM was really something. I like the Bourgeois better, but still this was the best sounding Martin OM I've ever played. I've never been a fan of the OM-28.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 07-25-2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodallboy View Post
Which ever had the best “feel or tone”.

Yes Goodallboy is right! ^^^

Whichever looks and feels and plays and sounds best to YOU.

If you can play them to choose, it should be fairly easy for you.

If you are buying long distance, hopefully you could get good soundclips.

If you are buying long distance and you can not get soundclips it is a total crap shoot, unless maybe you were buying from a dealer whom you trusted to give you accurate info about the tone and volume and dynamic response.

I hope you are able to play them to decide

Good Luck

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher
Old 07-25-2019, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vindibona1 View Post
I'll tell you what... I've now got two favorite OM's (of which I own neither)... The M36 and a Bourgeois OM. Bourgeois has a model numbering system that I don't understand, but I remember the word "green" somewhere on the inside lable. But that guitar was to die for. It had a very soft V neck and depending on how much money I can get from a few things sold and for sale, I may just buy it. I think it was hog back and sides. All I remember is how well it played in my hands.

I also played a M36 for the first time and really liked it. I guess it's RW rather than hog. But the volume and tone for an OM was really something. I like the Bourgeois better, but still this was the best sounding Martin OM I've ever played. I've never been a fan of the OM-28.
A M-36 is not a OM, it has a bigger body then a OM, same width. It is a 0000 model with a three piece rosewood back.
Old 07-26-2019, 04:06 AM

Went and had another good play of the OM-18GE today...

is it as good as the Authetic... no, is it very close, yes indeed it is... I'd say with new strings the GE would be 95% of the way there. Maybe the hide glue of the authentic has an impact, the weight of the banjo tuners might contribute too... but all in all for the price difference, the GE is the better buy for me... I think I'll grab this one... will sleep on it...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion