The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-13-2020, 10:54 AM

Default Applegate, Heinonen, & Charis

Hey All! I've been trying to budget and plan to get myself a nice guitar for my b-day and I was looking at Applegate, Heinonen, and Charis as I've long wanted a Cedar/Rosewood SJ style guitar. I reached out to each and never heard back from Heinonen but did have nice convos with Brian and Bill.

Their prices aren't too far apart but Bill did mention he's semi-retired but expressed interest in the project. However, he seemed hesitant to do a custom build and encouraged me to buy one of his existing models. They were a bit too ornate and high-end for a performer such as myself (I don't want beer spilled on a $10k guitar, nor will I spend that much) so I think that opportunity is tabled. Brian was a little less expensive than Charis and wasn't concerned about building a "working man's" Cedar/Rosewood SJ for myself.

Does anyone have much experience with the two (or with Heinonen) and have a recommendation? I figure if this doesn't work out I'll just go with a Furch Cedar/Rosewood OM or a Yamaha LS26 or LS36.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

https://linktr.ee/erikjmusic
Old 02-13-2020, 11:45 AM

I had Bill build me a guitar exactly like you are talking about, it was Indian Rosewood and Cedar with Koa trim. It was delivered in 2006 and was my main guitar for several years. It was as fine a modern sounding SJ as I have ever played and the build quality was exceptional. I sold the guitar 2 years ago for exactly what I paid to commission it, so they hold value really well. I have played a couple of Brian's SJ's and was very impressed with them also. I have followed a couple of Drew's builds on the forum but have yet to have an opportunity to play one. I hope this helps and good luck with your quest, they are all very fine builders!!
Martin J-41
Old 02-13-2020, 02:07 PM

I will not say anything about the two you are sort of shying away from, but will say I have only heard good things about Applegate guitars and feel you would be very happy with one.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:28 PM
Charter Member

I've played various models of Brian Applegate's guitars on a few occasions and was very impressed. I've played a few Heinonen guitar models (on only one occasion quite a few years ago) and was most impressed with his OM. However, my playing style and tastes lean towards OMs and 00s with spruce tops, so I'm probably not a good one to ask about flattop SJ with cedar tops.

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 02-13-2020, 05:39 PM
Charter Member

I have owned 3 Applegate SJ guitars. All were excellent in quality and sound.
None quite matched the sound of my '94 Olson SJ but still, for the money an excellent choice in my opinion.

I currently own a Heinonen OM, and its definitely in the same league as the Applegates in terms of build quality. Excellent sounding OM. I haven't had the opportunity to play his SJ model which gets most of the attention, but if it sounds as good as this OM, then the attention is deserved.

I've only played Charis guitars at guitar shows and I liked them a lot but I will leave to others who own them to share their experience.
Old 02-14-2020, 04:43 PM

Thanks to everyone's insight! Everybody seems to love Applegate and Heinonen quite a bit. Brian provided me his quote already and I haven't heard from Heinonen so, if I pull the trigger, it seems likely it's Applegate.

Just curious, has anyone who played or owned an Applegate compared it to Furch or a high-end Yamaha? Just curious, as those are its production shop competitors: a Cedar/RW OM or GA and the Yamaha LS26 or 36
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 02-14-2020, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Smile Solo Luthier....

I do not think it is possibly for Yamaha or even Furch to come close to an Applegate, or almost any axe from a high end solo Builder.

The constraints of mass production versus the freedom of an individual build are difficult (if perhaps not impossible) to overcome.

I am not familiar with any of the models you mention, but feel it does not matter much at all what models are compared. It is the SOLO Luthier vs. the factory that will almost certainly make the big difference.

I suggest finding a way to play an Applegate. Or any of the boss builders who help sponsor this forum.

Maybe you need a trip to Texas for B.I.G.er? Just sayin'.

I hope this helps

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-14-2020, 05:59 PM

I've played samples of all three: a Charis, a few Applegates and my Heinonen, as well as a few Olsons. Seems to me they are all family members but slightly different. Anything you looking for tonewise in particular?
Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiliconValleySJ View Post
I've played samples of all three: a Charis, a few Applegates and my Heinonen, as well as a few Olsons. Seems to me they are all family members but slightly different. Anything you looking for tonewise in particular?
Yes, my tone of choice is a steely treble with lush overtones, a slightly scooped midrange, and a woody, full, but tight bass. Balance, yes but enough highs and lows to envelop my voice but enough mids to not lose presence when recording instrumental work. Essentially, a fingerpicker that works for the singer-songwriter and instrumentalist.
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 02-14-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post

Maybe you need a trip to Texas for B.I.G.er? Just sayin'.
...What’s B.I.G er?
Taylor 514ce

Zoom AC3

Old 02-14-2020, 06:30 PM

OP that's helpful. My gut reaction to your description of tone would be to say that you would want to fall somewhere in between the Applegate and Charis spectrum of the Olson family for that. I don't think Jim or Drew scoop the mid--in fact, their mid is very rich.

Guessing Brian or Bill could build toward what you'd like--and if I had to choose one of the builders, I think Brian builds a richer overtone on the highs.

Just my two cents.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrErikJ View Post
...What’s B.I.G er?
I sent you a private message so as not to hijack your thread. Thanks,
Old 02-15-2020, 01:00 PM
Musical minimalist

Bill's instruments are incredibly precise musical instruments.

I've spent a fair amount of time at his shop over the last 12 years or so - he's about 15 miles from my studio. I've had my Koa/BC Sitka SJ since 2013 and haven't found anything else that comes close to it tonally.

I've never played the other two, so can't offer any input. I'm sure they are very fine instruments too.

Old 02-16-2020, 07:32 AM

Hey Erik, I'm quite a fan of Heinonen Guitars. He is not the best with replying messages hence why you haven't heard back from him yet haha! I have a build with him that is nearly completed that I think you might be interested in. I'll drop you a PM

AUTHORISED DEALER OF:
Astrand | Bowerman | Brondel | Buendia | Casimi | Datlen | Doerr | Fujii | Gerber | GR Bear | Heinonen | Isaac Jang
Keith | Keystone | Matsuda | Michaud Made | Ogino | Pellerin | Petros | Poljakoff | Strahm | Tom Sands | Wingert

...and more

www.TheGoldenEraGuitar.com
[email protected]
+65 8666 0420
Old 02-16-2020, 12:14 PM
FKA matthewpartrick :)

I had an Applegate. Really nice guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop