The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old 01-25-2019, 12:44 PM
learningalways learningalways is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 34
Default

I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-25-2019, 01:27 PM
MaurysMusic MaurysMusic is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Coaldale, PA
Posts: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by learningalways View Post
I would love to see any of the classical guitar booths.... how about Kenny Hill guitars?
Sorry we're not in Anaheim, we're at the Martin Factory in Nazareth, PA.
__________________
We'll match any price!
14-day Return Period -No restocking fee
Guitars special ordered for you CAN be returned!
MaurysMusic.com
View actual pics of in-stock guitars
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Reverend Mesa/Boogie
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-25-2019, 01:45 PM
Groberts's Avatar
Groberts Groberts is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,325
Default

Edit: I think my favorites are the OM-28 MD. The 000-28 was impressive but I felt the low end was clouding the midrange detail. Depends on touch. I imagine someone who plays fingerstyle with their 'nails' might get a very different result.

The DSS Black Smoke might have been my favorite of all these. The cutaway OMCE's look cool but didn't blow me away. The OM-28 MD was definitely the stand out for balance (for me). But that Black Smoke DSS was really quite awesome! Thanks Maury!
__________________
Martin DC-18E (Ambertone)
Martin Outlaw 17
Martin HDC-28E
Martin D-18 (2015)
Former: Martin D-41 (2018 Reimagined)
Fender CS '51 Nocaster Heavy Relic
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
PRS 594 Semi Hollow Wood Library
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-25-2019 at 02:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-25-2019, 02:11 PM
brencat's Avatar
brencat brencat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,761
Default

Thanks for the videos Maury.

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).
__________________
SCGC | Martin | Bourgeois
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-25-2019, 02:21 PM
Groberts's Avatar
Groberts Groberts is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Thanks for the videos Maury.

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).
I agree Brendan. That particular Black Smoke DSS had a little something extra.
__________________
Martin DC-18E (Ambertone)
Martin Outlaw 17
Martin HDC-28E
Martin D-18 (2015)
Former: Martin D-41 (2018 Reimagined)
Fender CS '51 Nocaster Heavy Relic
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
PRS 594 Semi Hollow Wood Library
www.heartsoulaz.com
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-26-2019, 05:54 AM
MaurysMusic MaurysMusic is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Coaldale, PA
Posts: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Thanks for the videos Maury.

Is it me or are these new Modern Deluxes very bright sounding for a Martin?? There is this jangley vibrancy I'm hearing in the mids, particularly on that D-28 MD and to a lesser extent on the OM-28 MD that is not typical for Martin... dare I say almost "Taylor-like," yikes! The 000-28 MD seemed to have 30% less volume than the OM and did not sound pleasant at all when strummed.

Of the two DSS-17s you played, I preferred the Black Smoke. I'm sure for no other reason than that specific example I liked better than the sunburst one.

My favorite so far is the D-42 Carpathian. Much more of what I expect a Martin dread to sound like (bass biased, darker overall tonal character, no jangle).
You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.
__________________
We'll match any price!
14-day Return Period -No restocking fee
Guitars special ordered for you CAN be returned!
MaurysMusic.com
View actual pics of in-stock guitars
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Reverend Mesa/Boogie
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-26-2019, 07:54 AM
brencat's Avatar
brencat brencat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
You're welcome.

It's you. Or at least I should say, my ears aren't hearing that... in-person or on-camera. The MDs aren't overly thick or throaty but they aren't erring on the side of bright either. Yeah the 000-28 did appear to be a bit quiet compared to the others.
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?
__________________
SCGC | Martin | Bourgeois
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-26-2019, 08:27 AM
Zissou Intern Zissou Intern is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,694
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
You're very welcome, guys! We have more videos on the way. We expect a February ETA on much of these new models.
Thanks for posting the individual videos! They're the best I have seen of the NAMM offerings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?
Being an exact spec' of a pre-war neck, it has to be deeper/fuller profile than the MLO/PA necks. At least I hope it is. Not all of us want our acoustics to have Fender electric necks la Taylor.

Last edited by Zissou Intern; 01-26-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-26-2019, 09:09 AM
MaurysMusic MaurysMusic is offline
AGF Sponsor
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Coaldale, PA
Posts: 3,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brencat View Post
Thanks. How does the new MD neck compare to the MLO/PA in roundness, particularly in the shoulder area, and the overall depth? Which one feels thicker ?
I've been playing guitar professionally since the late 80's but as much as I've progressed in my abilities to discern tone, I've never been good at expressing what a neck feels like. I don't know why. The modern deluxe neck is unique though... when someone hands me an MD, and I receive the guitar by holding the lower bout with my right hand and my left hand holds the neck at fret 12 or so, the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.
__________________
We'll match any price!
14-day Return Period -No restocking fee
Guitars special ordered for you CAN be returned!
MaurysMusic.com
View actual pics of in-stock guitars
Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Reverend Mesa/Boogie
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:24 AM
Scott_19 Scott_19 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 30
Default

Great stuff, guys! The new D-12E looks interesting, if you haven't done that yet
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-26-2019, 10:36 AM
brencat's Avatar
brencat brencat is offline
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,761
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
the neck feels like it has VERY skinny shoulders and the V is sharp. BUT, when I begin to play it, the neck feels more full and less V at the nut (and frets 1,2,3). The shoulders of the neck get thinner as you approach the higher frets. HTH, at least a little.
Thanks Maury. Unfortunately that is the exact opposite of what I was hoping for. Was anticipating a PA taper neck with a deep full C shape and nice rounded shoulders the entire length of the neck.
__________________
SCGC | Martin | Bourgeois
Reply With Quote
Reply

  The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
martin guitar price, martin namm 2019

Thread Tools



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, The Acoustic Guitar Forum
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=