The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-13-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Hey Tom, can I post a couple of these in my Facebook B.I.G. album? That thing is getting lots of likes.

Absolutely, please do Stan, and Thank you.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:52 PM

Looking forward to seeing this build go to completion. I put some serious thought into ordering a Taran guitar a couple of years ago - support your local (more or less) luthier, etc. - but decided I was kidding myself on if I thought my playing justified the cost.

At the time I got a Lowden instead, but I'm interested to see what I passed up.
Old 02-14-2020, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Having a ‘Taran’ myself I have followed this thread (and in general the continued and significant design development that Rory incorporates) with great interest. A lovely guitar on it’s way.

When I was considering a Taran guitar about 3 years ago Rory advertised his ‘100th Intrument’ - a Taran model made with features I could have specified myself, so I grabbed the opportunity and have enjoyed it ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac View Post
Looking forward to seeing this build go to completion. I put some serious thought into ordering a Taran guitar a couple of years ago - support your local (more or less) luthier, etc. - but decided I was kidding myself on if I thought my playing justified the cost.

I also have 2 McIlroys which are in the same vein as a Lowden. Like the Taran they are keepers with a lot to offer in terms of response and tone, but I revel in the difference the Taran brings - completely different experience to play, immediacy of response, breadth of notes right up the fingerboard. Yes, mellifluous as said in the thread above.

My music Website or Soundcloud
Some videos on Youtube
Old 02-14-2020, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomB'sox View Post
I love how you fellows describe Rory's guitars, I am in for a treat!

For the record, it was the stories I had heard about Ian's party in England that inspired my attempts to do B.I.G. in Texas. I thank him.

Rory has begun work on the rosette. If you have heard of a technique called a hot sand fade, Rory seems to be quite a master of it. I poorly understand it, but I believe it is as it sounds, heating sand and placing the wood in that to darken it. How you control the amount of color change I assume is due to the heat and the duration, but I don't really know that.

For my rosette, Rory has done a double hot sand fade with Scottish Burr Elm with white and red detailing as you can see below. I am hoping the next time Rory drops in he can explain what the double fade refers to. You can see three bands of the Burr Elm with the accents in the final rosette.

First is the Scottish Burr Elm chunk

Attachment 33187

Burr Elm Fillet with red and white accents and top

Attachment 33188

Burr Elm after hot sand fade process:

Attachment 33194

Rosette close up, you can see how Rory has alternated the dark from the hot sand fade with the lighter bits on each ring, I believe this is where the term double fade comes from.

Attachment 33189

Mocked up rosette and top

Attachment 33190

Just lovely, I haven’t had the pleasure of playing one of Rorys guitars, but I do love the aesthetic!
Old 02-15-2020, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zandit75 View Post
Loving the Rosette design!!
Thank you very much, I like it more each time I look at it as I see more details all of the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludere View Post
Wow ... that rosette ... !

Reminds me of M.C. Escher ... quite possibly my favorite rosette ever.

Wow, that is high praise, I thank you on Rory's behalf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
I love Rory's rosette for the same reason - it's just so hard for the eye to settle on what's going on.

I was interested to see how this looks on the redwood, as it has great contrast against to spruce and really catches the eye. I think on the redwood, it looks much more understated but is none the less attractive as a result.

And since Tom's getting so excited hearing about how they sound, the thing that blew me away about Rory's guitars wasn't so much the tonality, but the dynamic range. The best way I have found to describe it is that I couldn't find the edges of the instrument. When I played as quietly as I could, it still rang and sustained, but when I opened up and strummed as hard as I could, it just got louder and louder with no change in the character of the instrument. I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun exploring what it can do.
Thank you very much as well as for the review of Taran guitars. I can't wait to hear what it does, but I have not a single doubt that I will love it!

Quote:

Thank you, there is still time to order one! I am sure your Lowden is spectacular, but there is something really special about a handmade option in which you get to be involved in all the decisions and truly make it unique.

As an aside, it has been great to see all the new "faces" on this thread. Interesting to see how a newer builder (for the AGF) is drawing the Scottish contingent out as well as the new found fans that Rory is developing because of this thread and a few others! He is as nice to work with as his guitars are beautiful I can promise you that.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodB View Post
Having a ‘Taran’ myself I have followed this thread (and in general the continued and significant design development that Rory incorporates) with great interest. A lovely guitar on it’s way.

When I was considering a Taran guitar about 3 years ago Rory advertised his ‘100th Intrument’ - a Taran model made with features I could have specified myself, so I grabbed the opportunity and have enjoyed it ever since.

I also have 2 McIlroys which are in the same vein as a Lowden. Like the Taran they are keepers with a lot to offer in terms of response and tone, but I revel in the difference the Taran brings - completely different experience to play, immediacy of response, breadth of notes right up the fingerboard. Yes, mellifluous as said in the thread above.
Wow, thanks for the insight on Taran, that is pretty cool that you have number 100 as I am sure Rory put some extra magic into that one as most luthiers treat that as a pretty significant milestone! I have yet to play a Taran, but the Lowden I had was much more "mellow" let's say in tonality, beautiful sounding, but not as dynamic. I anticipate a completely different experience with the Taran!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Thank you, there is still time to order one! I am sure your Lowden is spectacular, but there is something really special about a handmade option in which you get to be involved in all the decisions and truly make it unique.
Oh, I know! I have two Lowdens in the stable, a F23 and a O25. Both very nice, though also different in nature (and used for different purposes). But a Taran, the small fingerstyle model that Rory does, might complete the full range of sizes in a very satisfactory way.

But the two year waiting list means I'll be 53 by the time it is ready, and these fingers aren't getting any more nimble.

Who knows, maybe I'll make a trip up to Fife to see what they are like. If nothing else (and please excuse the local cultural reference) I can get a nice fish supper from Anstruther!
Old 02-15-2020, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Oh, I know! I have two Lowdens in the stable, a F23 and a O25. Both very nice, though also different in nature (and used for different purposes). But a Taran, the small fingerstyle model that Rory does, might complete the full range of sizes in a very satisfactory way.

But the two year waiting list means I'll be 53 by the time it is ready, and these fingers aren't getting any more nimble.

Who knows, maybe I'll make a trip up to Fife to see what they are like. If nothing else (and please excuse the local cultural reference) I can get a nice fish supper from Anstruther!

Haha, I love it. I grew up in Wisconsin, farm country, we had breakfast, dinner, and supper!!! Maybe that came from our Scottish heritage?

We were planning on coming over to pick this up directly from Rory, but then he agreed to come to B.I.G. (er), so he is bringing this with him. We still hope to visit Scotland and Rory at his place possibly next summer!!!
Old 02-15-2020, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Haha, I love it. I grew up in Wisconsin, farm country, we had breakfast, dinner, and supper!!! Maybe that came from our Scottish heritage?

We were planning on coming over to pick this up directly from Rory, but then he agreed to come to B.I.G. (er), so he is bringing this with him. We still hope to visit Scotland and Rory at his place possibly next summer!!!
Some info for your future visit then!

First, the word 'supper', in the context of takeaway food, just means 'with chips (fries)'. Not to be confused with the normal usage of 'supper', i.e. a later evening snack or small meal, which is also valid. So a 'fish supper' is a piece of fish, typically haddock, dipped in batter then deep fried, and served with chips (fries). In other words, fish & chips.

Significantly, in the case, the village of Anstruther is 10 minutes from Rory's workshop and is home to the Anstruther Fish Bar, an award winning fish & chip restaurant that is well worth a visit when in the area.

The whole coastline from St Monan's round to St Andrews is with exploring when the time comes. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Old 02-19-2020, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Some info for your future visit then!

First, the word 'supper', in the context of takeaway food, just means 'with chips (fries)'. Not to be confused with the normal usage of 'supper', i.e. a later evening snack or small meal, which is also valid. So a 'fish supper' is a piece of fish, typically haddock, dipped in batter then deep fried, and served with chips (fries). In other words, fish & chips.

Significantly, in the case, the village of Anstruther is 10 minutes from Rory's workshop and is home to the Anstruther Fish Bar, an award winning fish & chip restaurant that is well worth a visit when in the area.

The whole coastline from St Monan's round to St Andrews is with exploring when the time comes. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Well something else to add to the list, let's see Inverness, Culloden, the Highlands and Anstruther's fishbar !

Here are some more progress shots from last week:

ataran rosette top.jpg

Neck block glued

ataran neck block.jpg

Neck block drilled

ataran neck block drilled.jpg

Bracing the top

atarn bracing the top.jpg

Sound port Jigging (maybe Rory too??)

ataran sound port jigging.jpg

Sound port cut

ataran sound port cut.jpg
Old 02-19-2020, 08:31 AM

Woops, soundport finished and bound:

a taran finished and bound soundport.jpg

Gluing up the box:

ataran gluing the box.jpg
Old 02-19-2020, 12:19 PM

Really coming together now and looking fantastic. I'm incredibly jealous of everyone who is going to B.I.G but also massively excited to hear how this turns out.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:42 PM

I'm loving that sound port - it should hold multiple sizes of coffee mugs.

And the red sides should really help you see where your blue chip pick went.

No, seriously Tom, this is going to be phenomenal. Can't wait to see it!

Stan
Old 02-19-2020, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Moving along nicely--this is really an exciting build!

Love the soundport shape and the fact that it is bound--it always looks a little unfinished to me without purfling and binding...
2020 Wilborn Arum (Tunnel 14/Coco)
2021 Kinnaird Graybeard (BC Cedar/Bog Oak)
2022 Kinnaird CS Student Build (Adi/Padauk)
2023 Kinnaird FS (Italian/Koa)
Old 02-19-2020, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThomson View Post
Really coming together now and looking fantastic. I'm incredibly jealous of everyone who is going to B.I.G but also massively excited to hear how this turns out.
Well, the invite is always open, but I know it would be tough. There were videos and pictures of the event last year and I am sure that will be the case this year also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
I'm loving that sound port - it should hold multiple sizes of coffee mugs.

And the red sides should really help you see where your blue chip pick went.

No, seriously Tom, this is going to be phenomenal. Can't wait to see it!

Stan
If you behave yourself, I just might let you play it also!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Moving along nicely--this is really an exciting build!

Love the soundport shape and the fact that it is bound--it always looks a little unfinished to me without purfling and binding...
Right me too, and because he has that thick side construction, it really gives depth to the soundport binding!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop