The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-07-2021, 03:57 AM

Default Flash drive to move photos off my iphone

I need something easy to use. I need to move photos off my Iphone to either the flash drive for keeping or to my computer to shift to the hard drive. Suggestions on a good quality, very easy to use item or process? Believe me, it has to be easy...
Old 12-07-2021, 04:59 AM
Charter Member

If it’s an iPhone and Mac, the easiest thing is Airdrop.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:12 AM

https://www.westerndigital.com/produ...30C-032G-AN6NN
Old 12-07-2021, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icuker View Post
I need something easy to use. I need to move photos off my Iphone to either the flash drive for keeping or to my computer to shift to the hard drive. Suggestions on a good quality, very easy to use item or process? Believe me, it has to be easy...
Your should have your phone backed up with the included iCloud or similar service. They will make the process easier and especially if you are intending to have them all backed up. If you only have a subset of the data needed you can sync just one folder with less data but I recommend making sure you whole phone has a backup.

For "Believe me, it has to be easy..." using the features in the major platforms - Apple, Google, Microsoft - will mean you have their good and much third party help on how to do it. For example, follow a video tutorial if their instructions don't make sense to you.

No mater what, use this as a reminder to make sure you have your whole phone or at least important info backed up.

Good luck.
Old 12-07-2021, 06:52 AM

I just plug my iPhone into my desktop computer and it shows up as a drive. Then just drag a copy of your photos over to a folder on your hard drive. Pretty easy, really.

My Woodworking YouTube channel - David Falkner Woodworking --------------------------------------------
Martin, Gallagher, Guild, Takamine, Falkner
Old 12-07-2021, 07:20 AM

Quote:
For a couple of bucks a month, you can get a couple of gigs of iCloud space...store your photos there, keep thumbnails on your phone...that way, you have total access to them, but you don't clog the phone...
Old 12-07-2021, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
Your should have your phone backed up with the included iCloud or similar service. They will make the process easier and especially if you are intending to have them all backed up. If you only have a subset of the data needed you can sync just one folder with less data but I recommend making sure you whole phone has a backup.

For "Believe me, it has to be easy..." using the features in the major platforms - Apple, Google, Microsoft - will mean you have their good and much third party help on how to do it. For example, follow a video tutorial if their instructions don't make sense to you.

No mater what, use this as a reminder to make sure you have your whole phone or at least important info backed up.

Good luck.
^ Yup, THIS is what you need to do. While it may seem intrusive it's also SOP if you're upgrading your phone - if you ever do; my 81 yo mother is still rocking the flip phone.

If you want to catalog your photos I'd also suggest using an online service like Imgr or FLickr. I know a few of us have been burned with Photobucket, but it's nice to have the option to actually order prints. This year I'm looking to have a few printed to large size on backer board. Gone are the days of Photo Hut and that random box of CD-Rs you only see during Spring Cleaning.
Old 12-07-2021, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
^ Yup, THIS is what you need to do. While it may seem intrusive it's also SOP if you're upgrading your phone - if you ever do; my 81 yo mother is still rocking the flip phone.

If you want to catalog your photos I'd also suggest using an online service like Imgr or FLickr. I know a few of us have been burned with Photobucket, but it's nice to have the option to actually order prints. This year I'm looking to have a few printed to large size on backer board. Gone are the days of Photo Hut and that random box of CD-Rs you only see during Spring Cleaning.
FYI, Apple's built in Photos has more features than many realize or maybe has evolved is a good description. It not only has really simple face and people recognition I see my 89 y.o. mom gets, but you can export from Lightroom and other more sophisticated apps and the tags are with the photos.

I digress, but we get the plenty sufficient storage with the bundle that includes News+ and Apple Music. Apple News+ might be one of the most under appreciated news and reading experiences out there. Same time I'm getting all the family's images and video backed up and curated I love all the 300+ newspapers and magazines access. Another nice bit of progress in all this is the ways you can share with Android now.
Old 12-07-2021, 09:14 AM

You can buy an "OTG cable" that will allow a USB flash drive to attach to your phone. No cloud security/privacy issues and they're generally pretty cheap. This way you can have multiple backups in various locations as recommended by the pros.
Old 12-08-2021, 12:36 AM

Sorry for the delay in my response, was away for a bit. Thanks for all the helpful hints. I checked online and it appears I can get 200 GB for three bucks a month with Apple. I use Google photos now but some of the photos from my phone don't seem to back up to that, many do but not all of them. I also got burned a few times when I took a photo on my phone, saw it on Google, then deleted it off my phone and the Google photo was gone too. That spooked me a bit. Maybe I didn't allow the sync'ing to complete or something. Definitely want to load them to some external drive, bought a hard drive for my laptop with that in mind, but sending photos to my email and then saving them to the drive is cumbersome, so hopefully one of the connectors mentioned above will help with that. My supervisor offered to help me set up Onedrive with my phone and pc laptop, she likes that, but maybe that's redundant with Google photos. Anyway, thanks for the tips and if what I'm saying now triggers more responses, please give me feedback.
Old 12-08-2021, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Sorry for the delay in my response, was away for a bit. Thanks for all the helpful hints. I checked online and it appears I can get 200 GB for three bucks a month with Apple. I use Google photos now but some of the photos from my phone don't seem to back up to that, many do but not all of them. I also got burned a few times when I took a photo on my phone, saw it on Google, then deleted it off my phone and the Google photo was gone too. That spooked me a bit. Maybe I didn't allow the sync'ing to complete or something. Definitely want to load them to some external drive, bought a hard drive for my laptop with that in mind, but sending photos to my email and then saving them to the drive is cumbersome, so hopefully one of the connectors mentioned above will help with that. My supervisor offered to help me set up Onedrive with my phone and pc laptop, she likes that, but maybe that's redundant with Google photos. Anyway, thanks for the tips and if what I'm saying now triggers more responses, please give me feedback.
Your backup strategy should be at least two forms of media and at least two places.

Buy that storage and visit your settings to keep full resolution images on your phone, cloud and another device. You can export all of them from computer but should consider a quality backup of that computer with a copy of it all.

Be careful with "free" products. Back up your computer with known good system utilities or known good third party backup software and not some free included with a drive craptactularv or minimally supported software.

Regarding the deleted file comment, take a little time to understand how the cloud and sync products work.

Good luck.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by difalkner View Post
I just plug my iPhone into my desktop computer and it shows up as a drive. Then just drag a copy of your photos over to a folder on your hard drive. Pretty easy, really.
That's what I do. My Windows desktops are on my wired home network, along with USB external hard drives I back up to. I do the same with all my music.

"The cloud" is just remote servers somewhere else.
Old 12-08-2021, 08:51 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
my 81 yo mother is still rocking the flip phone.

So is your 59 year old buddy in Michigan.

God help me if I ever have to have one of those things....

Old 12-08-2021, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

That time is getting close in two ways. We discovered how close dealing with my mother in law who's 89, terminally ill, and losing her vision. Also with my low tech sister losing her sight. We also get this at work where we help hundreds of staff members and especially staff with special needs.

First, is the carriers moving to new infrastructure that retires some old phones. The other is the decent flip phones are disappearing. For my mother in law and sibling a reasonably late model - full screen type - iPhone addressed their needs whether that was able to use, network access, reliable, and also WiFi calling.

For WiFi calling, many MVNO and discount carriers and plans expect that and have poor cellular coverage in lots of places. Where they for example might use Verizon, it's not at same priority.

Fine print for some simple phones that worked on Sprint and also aided low vision are pointing out they won't work on the merged network soon. Some others in that category are no longer made.
Old 12-08-2021, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post

One of what things? A flip phone or a smartphone? You no longer have to decide you know.

https://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-Unloc.../dp/B097CNP994

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic