The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-05-2021, 08:44 AM

Default guitarists who also play harmonica: Hohner Pentaharp questions

I know I should probably find a harmonica forum for this question, but I'm more at home here, and I'm really a guitar player who just dabbles in the harmonica, probably like some of you. So for you guitar + harp players:

Can you shed any light on the Hohner Pentaharp?

I have been learning some straight-harp to go with my guitar playing (“Heart of Gold,” for example) so I have a few same-key harps for that purpose.

I know that to play blues, you have to play cross-harp — an A harp for a blues tune in the key of E, for example. I have not yet spent much time learning how to play cross-harp, but I plan to. I understand that you use more draw notes than blow notes, and start at a different hole.

However, I was wondering what role the Pentaharp plays in the straight-harp/cross-harp universe. Is the Pentaharp intended for use as a blues harp? If so, which key do you use — same key or a fourth away (as in cross-harp)? Does the Pentaharp make blues playing any easier than cross-harp on a regular diatonic harp?

Also, does the Lee Oskar natural minor harp fall somewhere into this mix?

I guess I’m wondering if the Pentaharp (or the Lee Oskar or some other variation) offers another way to play blues riffs besides the diatonic cross-harp approach.
Old 12-05-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrypl View Post
I guess I’m wondering if the Pentaharp (or the Lee Oskar or some other variation) offers another way to play blues riffs besides the diatonic cross-harp approach.
Never heard of the pentaharp, so I looked it up. Hohner said:
"By adding the “Blue Note” the player can add extra expression and versatility, this is known as the “Blues Scale”.... to play this scale accurately on a standard harmonica demands advanced techniques that could take years to master! That’s where the PentaHarp comes in."
First off, it doesn't "take years to master" pulling a note a half step down for that "blues note" on a regular Marine Band or Blues Harp. In fact, if you take that away, I'd say you lose the real blues, which is not just a matter of playing the minor third. No, I wouldn't have one of those harps.

And playing cross-harp is really no big deal. Yes, you suck in (on the lower notes) to get the tonic chord in the key you're playing in. Blowing gives you the IV chord. You kind of want to balance the ins and outs so you don't run out of breath! Here's a little harp + synth piece I recorded probably 30 years ago....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 12-05-2021, 11:21 AM

The sucking in lets you "bend" the draw notes to get that blues sound. Hard to explain, easier to see.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:15 PM
Charter Member

…I just ordered one in Aminor….they only sell in minor keys…makes sense because it’s the minor pentatonic scale with a “blue note” added….I can play cross harp fairly well although I am in no way accomplished….I like the idea of a harp that is noodler friendly though….one things for sure.it won’t replace a standard harp…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic