The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 12-04-2021, 08:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
And, twice they never rang me doorbell. They knocked lightly on the door and just left without leaving the package obviously.
I don't know but I've been told that some of the drivers are GPS tracked and have to make a certain number of deliveries per time frame. When they get behind they will mark some packages as undeliverable due to no one at home until they catch up. They have to spend a minimum amount of time at a location to prove to the GPS that they at least stopped there.

Like I said, I don't know but I've been told...
Guild 12 String
Mark V Classical
Martin Dreadnaught
Weber Mandolin
Old 12-05-2021, 06:12 AM
Charter Member

12/4 10:48 PM In Transit New Carlisle, IN
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-05-2021, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
12/4 10:48 PM In Transit New Carlisle, IN
You should draw out the points on a map. If you slightly arch upwards the route to CA, and downwards return back to IL, and then to VA... someone's trying to depict a spoon... or the big dipper.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:15 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
You should draw out the points on a map. If you slightly arch upwards the route to CA, and downwards return back to IL, and then to VA... someone's trying to depict a spoon... or the big dipper.
Ah, so the powers-that-be at FedEx consult the stars before planning a shipping route. That's as good a theory as any. In fact, it looks like they could have used the Big Dipper to "deliver" the 400 or so packages to that Alabama ravine. Kind of looks like one on the lower right end, doesn't it???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0x0.jpg (16.8 KB, 124 views)
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-05-2021 at 07:22 AM.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:35 AM
Charter Member

I'm sure all shipping companies have glitches, but in my experience and observation FedEx appears to have an inordinate share of them.

We have had no incidents with UPS. FedEx, however has repeatedly misdirected our packages, has left packages out in the open instead of on our covered porch and in one instance the driver damaged our parked car in our driveway. It has also been my observation that we continually see different FedEx drivers, sometimes two on the same day, whereas we always see the same UPS driver at the same time of day when he delivers.

I'm suspecting a different business model for each company and in the case of FedEx, do I think I could do better? Well, if not me, someone can. And should.
Old 12-05-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I don't know but I've been told that some of the drivers are GPS tracked and have to make a certain number of deliveries per time frame. When they get behind they will mark some packages as undeliverable due to no one at home until they catch up. They have to spend a minimum amount of time at a location to prove to the GPS that they at least stopped there.

Like I said, I don't know but I've been told...
Priority deliveries come first. I can have a requires signature delivery on a same truck or out for delivery that come later or even the next day. At times a driver will even acknowledge she or he will see us later or tomorrow if they're swamped.

Vehicles and devices drivers carry have geolocation technology, but a childhood friend I grew up with who drove for FedEx and is still a hotshot driver doesn't have stories of a chip implanted. Drivers who come to our docks tease about toilet breaks where they confess big brother is not watching.

It seems like some here don't accept or get the priority and paying for it concepts, or how the the problems in shipping are not the rule.

@RP can probably know more about the package looking for which of several FedEx divisions carried the freight. All the shippers have SCAC that's a code identifying the shipper.

A more sagacious criticism of the package shippers or real problem for our times would be their part in what's called safe streets. There are few places that have had the planning and traffic engineering for all the vehicles doing package delivery same time we have growth in ped/bike and traffic from sprawl. In a lot of places it complicates the deliveries same time it contributes to safety issues and frustration.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
It seems like some here don't accept or get the priority and paying for it concepts, or how the the problems in shipping are not the rule.
You seem to think you're smarter than everyone else and your experience invalidates theirs.

2005 Gibson J-45
1985 Guild D17
2012 Fender Am. Std. Stratocaster
1997 Guild Bluesbird
Old 12-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Be glad your route doesn't look like the constellation of Virgo!

Quote:
Ah, so the powers-that-be at FedEx consult the stars before planning a shipping route. That's as good a theory as any. In fact, it looks like they could have used the Big Dipper to "deliver" the 400 or so packages to that Alabama ravine. Kind of looks like one on the lower right end, doesn't it???
Old 12-05-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Priority deliveries come first. I can have a requires signature delivery on a same truck or out for delivery that come later or even the next day. At times a driver will even acknowledge she or he will see us later or tomorrow if they're swamped.

Vehicles and devices drivers carry have geolocation technology, but a childhood friend I grew up with who drove for FedEx and is still a hotshot driver doesn't have stories of a chip implanted. Drivers who come to our docks tease about toilet breaks where they confess big brother is not watching.

@RP can probably know more about the package looking for which of several FedEx divisions carried the freight. All the shippers have SCAC that's a code identifying the shipper.

A more sagacious criticism of the package shippers or real problem for our times would be their part in what's called safe streets. There are few places that have had the planning and traffic engineering for all the vehicles doing package delivery same time we have growth in ped/bike and traffic from sprawl. In a lot of places it complicates the deliveries same time it contributes to safety issues and frustration.
If paying more incentivizes them to do their job, that also makes them awful. I don't get the argument at all.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-05-2021, 02:32 PM

I've mentioned this a few years before but I feel it bears repeating.

I once had an expensive camera lens repaired and FedEx'd back to me. The repair location was in Los Angeles and I lived in Las Vegas at the time.

Shipping to LA from LV normally is 1-2 days and that was the case when I sent it in for repair.

On the return trip, it traveled from LA to LV via Anchorage AK ... the total time in transit was one day shy of two weeks.

During those two weeks, it dropped off FedEx's radar and three different FedEx customer service reps couldn't find it. Each one said, "I'm sorry but it is no longer in our system."

Because I wasn't the shipping party, I couldn't fill out any "missing package" paperwork. The day after the third unsuccessful call to customer service, I was leaving a message on the repair shop's message machine with the FedEx truck arrived and delivered my lens.

In the overall scheme of things this is definitely not a high priority on the list of urgent problems, but I really wish they hadn't given my $4000 lens a scenic trip up and down the west coast. And I'm only saying this because my lens was finally delivered to me.

If people are involved, things WILL go wrong. It's not a matter of IF but only WHEN. Happily for me, it isn't very often.

Best,
PJ
Old 12-06-2021, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Spivey View Post
You seem to think you're smarter than everyone else and your experience invalidates theirs.
No, it's just how pretty much most product and service pricing works, and I know this about freight services because it's a component of my job.

The posts are also showing a cognitive bias called familiarity heuristic. Personal experience can make the package shipping seem horrible but that doesn't reflect the likely billions of items FedEx moves in a year without any problems.

Quote:
If paying more incentivizes them to do their job, that also makes them awful. I don't get the argument at all.
I'm sorry but I disagree with that logic or philosophy. In a guitar forum context, I don't think we should or could have it where we all get something like my Santa Cruz or Collings guitars at a set and low price, or only have one basic price but have to settle with lesser guitars.

I'm also not sure how we'd have things working if we didn't have pay as incentives where increases have been helping most firms. In this case, you can find a lot of news that supports higher wages are helping solve problems. Wage increases have been helping attract and retain drivers and first line workers.

My apologies if I've missed that more shipping complaints here are all for priority tier services. In quite a few that was not the case. There are times when I pay for a priority tier and it fails, but nowhere like issues I get with standard and or negotiated prepaid rates.

If I order a dozen laptops today at standard rate or for one vendor a prepaid rate, it's likely I'll see them soon. If I select priority it's really doubtful that I won't see them tomorrow or won't have the option to arrange my drop-off and signature time.
Old 12-06-2021, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

My chair has arrived at the FedEx distribution terminal in Hagerstown, MD as of this morning. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Interestingly, their online tracking information makes it appear as if it left Illinois on the 24th of November and magically appeared in Hagerstown this morning, leaving off its whirlwind tour of the western states...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 12-06-2021, 08:28 AM

Quote:
My chair has arrived at the FedEx distribution terminal in Hagerstown, MD as of this morning. It's supposed to be delivered tomorrow. Interestingly, their online tracking information makes it appear as if it left Illinois on the 24th of November and magically appeared in Hagerstown this morning, leaving off its whirlwind tour of the western states...
Maybe something as large as a chair will show the SCAC code if you are really curious. FedEx probably has 4-5 or more of them because they have distinct divisions. A chair might have moved as LTL freight instead of their common shipping.

Not FedEx but maybe similar. An item handed off to another carrier can also show you a mysterious path. For example Something I ordered a long week ago I knew was 45 miles from me said it would ship via UPS, and it took a strange route arriving via USPS. I was not going to fuss that it took a week, started west of me, and went east first because I didn't pay extra.

BTW, I'm pretty sure FedEx and UPS started peak surcharges before Thanksgiving. I recall the 11/28 warning from UPS. A lot of things we get that don't have that applied can take longer. If I understand some correctly, I differ on whether or not that is okay.

Hopefully you'll like the chair!
Old 12-06-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
No, it's just how pretty much most product and service pricing works, and I know this about freight services because it's a component of my job.

The posts are also showing a cognitive bias called familiarity heuristic. Personal experience can make the package shipping seem horrible but that doesn't reflect the likely billions of items FedEx moves in a year without any problems.

I'm sorry but I disagree with that logic or philosophy. In a guitar forum context, I don't think we should or could have it where we all get something like my Santa Cruz or Collings guitars at a set and low price, or only have one basic price but have to settle with lesser guitars.

I'm also not sure how we'd have things working if we didn't have pay as incentives where increases have been helping most firms. In this case, you can find a lot of news that supports higher wages are helping solve problems. Wage increases have been helping attract and retain drivers and first line workers.

My apologies if I've missed that more shipping complaints here are all for priority tier services. In quite a few that was not the case. There are times when I pay for a priority tier and it fails, but nowhere like issues I get with standard and or negotiated prepaid rates.

If I order a dozen laptops today at standard rate or for one vendor a prepaid rate, it's likely I'll see them soon. If I select priority it's really doubtful that I won't see them tomorrow or won't have the option to arrange my drop-off and signature time.
Still don't get it. If I go to a restaurant and order a steak medium rare, it's the chef's job to make it medium rare. I shouldn't have to pay extra to make sure what I ordered is fulfilled.

It's their basic job to drop off packages and make an attempt to do so. I shouldn't have to pay more to do their job so it's done correctly.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 12-06-2021, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Still don't get it. If I go to a restaurant and order a steak medium rare, it's the chef's job to make it medium rare. I shouldn't have to pay extra to make sure what I ordered is fulfilled.

It's their basic job to drop off packages and make an attempt to do so. I shouldn't have to pay more to do their job so it's done correctly.
My intent was to help and not argue, and explain things I know very well. If this is just some venting, I get it because it's natural. Maybe this is a gapminder issue with you and some not knowing the 2021 FedEx and their competition have far more tiers of services, divisions etc.....

Not delivering a package and and some deliveries not going well are the exceptions, and it bothers me too when those instances happen.

If you want or expect the highest tiers of service including to set or flexibility with delivery times and requires signature packages you have to pay for it.

I hope you can understand, including how an Asperger's brain otherwise just sees logical fallacies in some of the arguments.

My advice is sign up for a free UPS and FedEx account even if you don't have much plan or intention to use it because more and more that will let you arrange delivery options.

Good luck.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic